Big changes at AA - think twice.

FlyerTalker

22 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

Unhappy about what? Trying to built leverage for contract negotiations?

Yes, contractual issues are in the mix.  From what I know, some of the pilots are unhappy about some of the same things that AA's passengers are, i.e. schedules that were too quickly rushed into service at the start of the Summer travel season and then couldn't be met.  

39 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Yes, contractual issues are in the mix.  From what I know, some of the pilots are unhappy about some of the same things that AA's passengers are, i.e. schedules that were too quickly rushed into service at the start of the Summer travel season and then couldn't be met.  

Sounds like an issue that won't be resolved in a contract...they will say "if you give us more money, we'll drop our complaints about schedules ", as if they want to put more contract issues into how their schedules are made. A bit of a bluff.

• Thanks 1

On 9/11/2021 at 1:01 PM, rkacruiser said:

The pilots have the upper hand in this matter.  Both AA and Southwest are understaffed therefore contributing to the schedule disruptions and cancellations.  AA is going to need to pony up more money to attract more pilots to staff their schedules or drop some of their schedule.  Simple supply and demand.

The informational picketing just adds insult to injury.  I am not sure why union workers would want to injure the company that they work for.  They would be better off finding a company that they did want to work for.

22 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

I am not sure why union workers would want to injure the company that they work for.  They would be better off finding a company that they did want to work for.

Guess you don't understand how overwhelming the seniority system is engrained in the aviation industry.

Or maybe you know something the rest of us don't.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, FlyerTalker said:

Guess you don't understand how overwhelming the seniority system is engrained in the aviation industry.

Or maybe you know something the rest of us don't.

You are correct.  I work in an industry where pay levels are driven by expertise and value to the company.  Not by how long someone has been with the company.  Unions and their lack of competitiveness never made sense to me.  I guess they will try to injure the company to get more of a pay raise.  Working as a team always made more sense.

Edited by NMTraveller

My main complaint about this is that apparently AA does not plan on fixing their high cancellation rates.  Otherwise why would this be a big deal if they just had a normal amount of cancellations?  Sure it costs them some money, but I am not sure why they would want to sink down to the level of the discount airlines who don't offer the ability to rebook on a partner airline?

Edited by NMTraveller

Well, I just got off an AA flight from Orlando to Westchester (That was cancelled in Charlotte)  AA had no issues giving all of us hotel vouchers, food vouchers,  and rerouting us the next morning..... (And I was a lowly coach passengers.   Maybe this is a "CYA" thing?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm flying out of the DFW area, and there are two key airline hubs here... American Airlines at DFW International and Southwest at Dallas Love Field. Those two airlines, along with Spirit Airlines, appear to be the only airlines that are flying non-stop to FLL. So, I'm guessing that I'm damned if I do fly with American, damned if I don't. 

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Z'Loth said:

I'm flying out of the DFW area, and there are two key airline hubs here... American Airlines at DFW International and Southwest at Dallas Love Field. Those two airlines, along with Spirit Airlines, appear to be the only airlines that are flying non-stop to FLL. So, I'm guessing that I'm damned if I do fly with American, damned if I don't. 

No one forces you to fly AA.  No one forces you to not fly AA.  It's your free will choice.

12 hours ago, Z'Loth said:

Changing planes isn't the end of the world. Sure, nonstop is great, but if one stop in an easy place like Houston (United) or Atlanta (Delta) gives you more airline options that you prefer, or may drastically change your price, it's worth looking in to. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Z'Loth said:

So, I'm guessing that I'm damned if I do fly with American, damned if I don't. 

I agree with the following post.  I have changed planes at both Houston (twice) when Continental was the carrier and several times at Atlanta with Delta.  I like both airports.  (Although, with Delta, if your arriving or departing flight is close to the end of one of the concourses, it's a long walk from the central area of that concourse.)

2 hours ago, Zach1213 said:

but if one stop in an easy place like Houston (United) or Atlanta (Delta) gives you more airline options that you prefer, or may drastically change your price, it's worth looking in to. 

10 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

No one forces you to fly AA.  No one forces you to not fly AA.  It's your free will choice.

That's correct. However, driving from DFW to FLL for a a cruise isn't my cup of tea, even if I could afford the time. 

5 hours ago, Zach1213 said:

Changing planes isn't the end of the world. Sure, nonstop is great, but if one stop in an easy place like Houston (United) or Atlanta (Delta) gives you more airline options that you prefer, or may drastically change your price, it's worth looking in to. 

But, in checking the airfares on Kayak, the American Airlines non-stop from DFW to FLL is cheaper than United's or Delta's single stop at their hubs. 

13 hours ago, Z'Loth said:

But, in checking the airfares on Kayak, the American Airlines non-stop from DFW to FLL is cheaper than United's or Delta's single stop at their hubs. 

Sometimes it'll be cheaper, sometimes more expensive. But I'd also like to point out my use of "or"...I didn't say it would give you more options AND be cheaper. It may be, it may not be. But it definitely gives you more options if you wanted to avoid American, Southwest, and Spirit. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...