Australian vaccine passports.

42 minutes ago, Ondine said:

Whatever promises they might be making now, they have their eyes set on the next Federal election.

I really don't think they are going to take the risk of reviving memories of their Ruby Princess debacle before then.

13 hours ago, SinbadThePorter said:

Whatever promises they might be making now, they have their eyes set on the next Federal election.

I really don't think they are going to take the risk of reviving memories of their Ruby Princess debacle before then.

Always find any reference to Ruby being part of the equation for cruising restarting amusing -  if this were true, Victoria would remain closed for another two years 🙄

More likely to be linked to the Fed election, though the news from NSW is very promising. 👍

Not so good news is that when checking on Royal Princess she has changed tack and is now heading back to the "drifting area" down south.  Maybe not quite ready to cross the Pacific.

Oh well it was hopeful for a few days.  Will keep checking on her.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ondine said:

Not so good news is that when checking on Royal Princess she has changed tack and is now heading back to the "drifting area" down south.  Maybe not quite ready to cross the Pacific.

Oh well it was hopeful for a few days.  Will keep checking on her.

I hope it doesn't mean our government is still holding firm on not allowing cruising to restart. 😥

Can one of our seafarers enlighten me on what ships do in a drifting zone?  Do they do some sort of testing or is it just another name for somewhere to park.  Her destination is listed as Drifting Zone and not an anchorage or OPL etc.

I take it means that they are not underway if they are listed as drifting but perhaps still under limited control of some sort as against fully in control.  I did see something awhile ago but have forgotten the explanation or where I saw or read it.  Perhaps Alfie may have explained it - memory is failing me.

I think I must be dense - is there any reason we can't use our Medicare Covid Vaccination that is already on our mobile phones or can be printed, as our vaccination Passport - why do we need something else???

We are able to save the document to access offline so why not use it intead of wasting more money. Oh that is right we have a PM who is into marketing so likes to make people think they need something they don't.

I failed marketing at Uni because I was too honest. 😁

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, kate59 said:

I think I must be dense - is there any reason we can't use our Medicare Covid Vaccination that is already on our mobile phones or can be printed, as our vaccination Passport - why do we need something else???

We are able to save the document to access offline so why not use it intead of wasting more money. Oh that is right we have a PM who is into marketing so likes to make people think they need something they don't.

I suppose the one issue it solves is standardization. Medical documents all look different around the world, you have different languages and different layouts and styles. Makes it hard for border forces and immigration to recognise or authenticate. Sort of like our travel passports, they may have different emblems and colours on the cover but they are all essentially little books with the same standard layout and features that all governments can recognise and processs.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

I suppose the one issue it solves is standardization. Medical documents all look different around the world, you have different languages and different layouts and styles. Makes it hard for border forces and immigration to recognise or authenticate. Sort of like our travel passports, they may have different emblems and colours on the cover but they are all essentially little books with the same standard layout and features that all governments can recognise and processs.

I can follow that is ideal option for when we renew passport. Until then we could still use medicare? 

16 minutes ago, woodscruise said:

Kate59, I do know that IATA is working on an app that is recognised worldwide as a vaccine passport.  The Medicare Covid Vaccination would only be recognised in Australia.

If a standardised world wide I can live with that similar to our normal passport. The problem will present if it ends up we need boosters at certain interval. Not being negative just thinking.

On 9/11/2021 at 5:56 AM, Porky55 said:

Always find any reference to Ruby being part of the equation for cruising restarting amusing -  if this were true, Victoria would remain closed for another two years 🙄

I'm aware of the connection between the Ruby Princess and the Federal government's incompetence, but you've lost me on the connection to Victoria.

45 minutes ago, kate59 said:

I can follow that is ideal option for when we renew passport. Until then we could still use medicare? 

For now we don't really have choice but I guess the problem is as @woodscruise points out Medicare is only Australian. Outside of Australia few would know what Medicare is just like in Australia we don't really know the medical systems of other countries. They have talked about linking our vaccine records to our travel passports which personally I would love but apparently quite a few countries that is legally problematic, so it seems like there will be little choice but to have system seperate to the travel passport. Ideally if we have boosters it should be added to our records and therefore automatically updated to our vaccine passports but who knows what our government will create, looking at their previous apps I'm not particularly hopeful😳.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kate59 said:

Because it's not secure, it took someone ten minutes to figure out how to forge it by copying it and changing the details.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/12/2021 at 6:41 PM, SinbadThePorter said:

I'm aware of the connection between the Ruby Princess and the Federal government's incompetence, but you've lost me on the connection to Victoria.

Simple numbers, yet Ruby has been hammered the most of the two. Which doesn’t help trying to reopen cruising:

Ruby:

The report linked more than 900 COVID-19 cases and 28 deaths to the ship, including 20 in Australia and eight in the US. - Source: Ruby Princess Independent Inquiry.

Vic:

Their Hotel Quarantine Disaster is being blamed for 768 deaths, 18,000 infections and an entire state being sent into devastating lockdowns. - Source: Ch7 News

37 minutes ago, Porky55 said:

Simple numbers, yet Ruby has been hammered the most of the two. Which doesn’t help trying to reopen cruising:

Ruby:

The report linked more than 900 COVID-19 cases and 28 deaths to the ship, including 20 in Australia and eight in the US. - Source: Ruby Princess Independent Inquiry.

Vic:

Their Hotel Quarantine Disaster is being blamed for 768 deaths, 18,000 infections and an entire state being sent into devastating lockdowns. - Source: Ch7 News

Therefore, it is safer at sea than being in Victoria.🤔

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SinbadThePorter said:

In that case you'd be looking at the current outbreak, where NSW is way ahead of both Victoria and the Ruby Princess.

Give you case numbers but deaths still only at very sad 295 - no where near Vics now 831.
I think it’s extremely tragic for any loss of life from this virus but we have still been extremely lucky here. Ruby Princess was the lowest (though no less tragic) numbers, which was my original point.

Just want to cruise, like everyone else, but every time a restart is requested the Ruby “incident” is raised by someone in Govts as a reason not to.

Actually feel very strongly about this as we were on Ruby last March.

Rose.

Edited by Porky55
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Porky55 said:

Give you case numbers but deaths still only at very sad 295 - no where near Vics now 831.
I think it’s extremely tragic for any loss of life from this virus but we have still been extremely lucky here. Ruby Princess was the lowest (though no less tragic) numbers, which was my original point.

Just want to cruise, like everyone else, but every time a restart is requested the Ruby “incident” is raised by someone in Govts as a reason not to.

Actually feel very strongly about this as we were on Ruby last March.

Rose.

I so agree. We had my hubby's 80th birthday on the Ruby Princess October 2019, a family celebration. We want to and prepared to cruise. Hubby has no major underlying disease, I do however I am now about quality not quantity. It was terrible for all those on the Ruby at the time and especially for all those who got Covid - it was all such an unknown.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, SinbadThePorter said:

I said in the current outbreak, caused by NSW, which dates from July this year.

NSW is something like 150 and Vic less than 10.

But you were replying to my post, which was all inclusive where Ruby was involved.

But again, all very sad regardless of where and when.

Have a great day 😀

Edited by Porky55