U.K. Oct 2021 cruise cancelled for under 17’s

DebbieMacG

My daughter has just had her cruise for 7th October on Regal princess cancelled because they have changed the policy for unvaccinated under 17’s and they can’t now travel. (Under 17’s in the U.K.  aren’t vaccinated)  previously they required a pcr test and a lateral flow at the port. Her and her 13 yr old we’re having a mum/daughter cruise. 

She’s gutted 😢

I have 3 great grand daughters in UK under 17. It terrifies me that they are unvaccinated. My sister -their grandmother says that the UK govt is going to decide whether to implement vaccines for 12 and over in the next few days. Unfortunately too late for that cruise because of the 14 day rule it would be tough to get it done in time.

55 minutes ago, welshfamily said:

Has Princess cancelled the booking ?

Is this a Princess rule?
 or is it due to the  ports of Call rule change from 30 th September in France  re children over 12?

we are on the half term cruise.

thank you

Princess have cancelled all bookings that included children under 17 on all the European cruises leaving Southampton this year. Nothing to do with France or any other country.

I suspect they have done this to mininise the chances of covid infections on board, prior to Regal and Sky sailing to the US in November. 

According to the UK Government website 16 and 17 year olds are eligible for vaccinations.  In addition some 12 to 15 year olds are also eligible for vaccinations depending on what medical conditions they have or who they live with.

I have no idea if it is advisable or otherwise to go through with the injections.

Regards John

@DebbieMacG I suspect that the rules are different for the Regal Transatlantic on Nov. 3rd...but this has me concerned because we have a granddaughter under 12 that has not been vaccinated yet.  We are flying in from the US to cross back to Fort Lauderdale.

Question: Once Princess cancelled on you what accommodation did they make to you?  Refund? FCC? Rebook?

2 hours ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

@DebbieMacG I suspect that the rules are different for the Regal Transatlantic on Nov. 3rd...but this has me concerned because we have a granddaughter under 12 that has not been vaccinated yet.  We are flying in from the US to cross back to Fort Lauderdale.

Question: Once Princess cancelled on you what accommodation did they make to you?  Refund? FCC? Rebook?

Hi Rick & Jennie,

I had a look at the UK Princess website for the Regal Transatlantic, 3 November.  It is Southampton UK, Cherbourg France, Vigo Spain, Azores, Bermuda, Ft. Lauderdale.  Unfortunately the current requirement listed by Princess is full (double?) vaccinations by at least 14 days prior to embarkation for all passengers of any age.  I think you need to get all passengers fully vaccinated.  In the UK the government has just suggested UK 12 years plus children can get a jab.  Be careful the line just does not automatically cancel due to youngster booked in.

When we had our four previous cruises cancelled they offered cash refunds 100% of money paid or 125% refund on a re-booking then 110% refund on re-booking on a cruises cancelled later. I think you need to take a serious look at your options pronto.

Hope all goes well.

John Watson

Edited by john watson

9 minutes ago, Alcairns said:

In addition to the above - don’t all arrivals into the U.K. have to be fully vaccinated or quarantine when they get to the U.K. ? 

No, because the US is not on the red list. Unvaccinated children need a negative covid test before leaving the US, and book a Day 2 test, unless they are in transit.  

My son's booking on the Regal (transatlantic) was just cancelled due to a child being booked.  The word from Princess (according to him, verbally) was that all bookings that include kids under 11 are to be cancelled through the end of the year.

Now...before everybody goes nuts...I don't know if this is across the board on ALL cruises; quite possibly this was only referring to the Regal...but the bit about "through the end of the year" is a bit telling.  He did not press for those kinds of details because he no longer had a dog in the hunt.

19 hours ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

They refunded the cruise and the money went back on the card two days ago so it was very quick.  They didn’t offer FCC and told her that ALL children would need to be vaccinated to cruise with them in 2021. This was in a phonecall follow up to the initial email they sent. 

Ironically they have brought in vaccines here for 12-15 year olds and starting next Monday they will be offering them, if my grand daughter was able to get her vaccine next week she would have been considered as fully vaccinated for the cruise! but they’ve now booked on anthem  of the seas so it’s too late 🙄