San Francisco to Alaska cruise

Calicat2429

Hi! We will be cruising on Carnival from San Fran to Alaska. We will be driving in from S. Cali the day before. Can you recommend a nice hotel close to the cruise terminal? We were thinking of renting a car from here to there and then taking a taxi or uber from the hotel to terminal. I know parking is awful in the area. Any recommendations you can give us? We are bringing some friends that have never been to San Fran, so was thinking maybe staying close to fishermans wharf that first night before we cruise so we could walk and show them. But I can't remember how far fishermans wharf is from the terminal  ( been a few yrs). Any recommendations? Advice? Thanks!

3 minutes ago, Calicat2429 said:

Thankyou... I'm new to cruise critic, where can I find this thread?

Welcome to Cruise Critic.  From where you are at right now, scroll up to the top of the page and find the "categories" tab, click on it and scroll down to the specific forum you're looking for. 

• Like 1

For San Francisco info you are absolutely on the right board for your research. Alaska board is not about San Francisco. 

Take a look around. There are several discussions here on hotels. I haven't stayed at any relevant to cruising and the terminal, so can't comment.  Your budget is important...there are many hotels relatively close by,, but they can be expensive.

You are correct,  parking is expensive in SF, so if you can avoid it, it's a good thing. Uber and taxi is the better way around.

The Terminal is Pier 27, Fisherman's Wharf is Pier 35. The distance is around half a mile.

20 hours ago, Calicat2429 said:

We were thinking of renting a car from here to there and then taking a taxi or uber from the hotel to terminal.

When I had work trips in and out of San Francisco a lot I would often stay at hotels that actually had rental car pick up/drop offs at the hotel themselves. For example, you can rent or drop off from Avis at the Hilton or Hyatt Regency Embarcadero. Theres a Hertz at the Marriott Marquis.

Driving up from SoCal and just dropping your rental at the hotel valet could be super convenient. 

OMG, whatever you do, please don't say, "San  Fran" around your friends, or they might start saying it too.

For hotels I'd look at the Embarcadero, the Harbor Court Hotel, Hyatt Regency, Club Quarters Hotel, Le Meridien and Hotel Vitale, if they've reopened by your trip.

1 hour ago, scottca075 said:

OMG, whatever you do, please don't say, "San  Fran" around your friends, or they might start saying it too.

For hotels I'd look at the Embarcadero, the Harbor Court Hotel, Hyatt Regency, Club Quarters Hotel, Le Meridien and Hotel Vitale, if they've reopened by your trip.

Sort of surprising from a California resident,  eh? I guess I should be happy they didn't use the "F" word, as in Frisco. Which is in Colorado or Texas, not California. 

• Like 1