Regarding flight cancellations...

Stockjock

If you have flight reservations for an upcoming cruise(s), keep a close eye on your reservations, as they're getting modified right and left.

Sometimes though, those modifications can work in your favor.

For example, I have an upcoming cruise out of Miami.  I'm flying into MIA on one airline and flying out of FLL (Ft. Lauderdale) using Southwest award points.  I'd rather have flown out of MIA, but the cost was about triple.

The short of it is that because they changed their schedule, I can now fly my return out of MIA for no extra cost, which is a lot more convenient.

We had another cruise out of Rome this coming fall.  We've already cancelled the cruise, but not the flights because I may shift them to a summer 2022 cruise instead once the new dates are bookable.  First, they cancelled the Philly to Rome flight.  Then they cancelled SAN to PHL and routed us from SAN to Chicago (ORD) to PHL.  Then they cancelled one of those flights (I forget which) and there's still no flight to Rome.  Fortunately, that one doesn't matter, as we won't be going to Rome anyway, but it does show you how crazy things are with respect to these changes.

So keep a close eye on things, and sometimes, again, these changes can even work in your favor.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, jelayne said:

Not uncommon theses days.  We have had our October flights changed twice,  neither time were we notified by the airline.  Over the years I have learned that within 60 days of the trip it pays to check regularly. 

Are you able to sign up for flight change notifications with your carrier?

Not sure if all airlines offer this, but they do help in situations like these.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, CGBanks said:

Our flights to FLL have changed twice but Delta has emailed us the changes.  Just a tiny difference in minutes but you never know !!  

I fly on Delta more than any of the other carriers and this is what I experience.  Very minor changes of itinerary, but, sometimes, there is an equipment change with a new seat assignment that may or may not be satisfactory to me.  If not, an immediate phone call to Delta solves the problem.  

Let me also add that, at times, the agents on the phone can do more for you after a schedule change than you can do online.

I mentioned the FLL flight that was changed.  Southwest would allow me to pick new flights online, but only departing from FLL.  The departure airport could not be changed.  However, the agent on the phone could easily shift the departing flights over to MIA.  Took an hour on hold last night, but it was worth it, as I much prefer the new flights.

Edited by Stockjock

35 minutes ago, Stockjock said:

What I can tell you is that there was no hesitation to allow me to depart from MIA rather than the originally booked FLL.

What likely happened is that the original ticket was cancelled and then applied to a completely new ticket.

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, FlyerTalker said:

What likely happened is that the original ticket was cancelled and then applied to a completely new ticket.

Nope, same confirmation number.  They just moved the departure city from FLL to MIA.  Same ticket.

1 hour ago, Stockjock said:

Nope, same confirmation number.  They just moved the departure city from FLL to MIA.  Same ticket.

Locator may be the same.  But that's not a ticket - just a pointer.  Bet you a bundle that the actual ticket, a 13 digit number, changed.

I've had reservations where the same locator was used for six different ticket iterations.  All with different ticket numbers.

• Thanks 1