P&O to allow independent exploration in ports from 25th

MadUKScientist

2 hours ago, LdnJon said:

I've just ordered some of the government antigen (lateral flow) tests from here -https://www.gov.uk/order-coronavirus-rapid-lateral-flow-tests 

Might be worth taking along (or they might force you to buy their ones).

EDIT - they are free to order

The results provided would not be accepted by the authorities.  

• Like 2

I am booked on the Iona for Nov27 cruise and have been trying to contact P&O for the last four days with no luck, always ‘Really busy at this time’. I am trying to ask about shore excursions, restaurant reservations, retreat costs and reservations and the wearing of masks on board? But the most important question I want answered is what will be the number of passengers? What will be the operating capacity?

if anyone has this information I would appreciate a response.

8 minutes ago, xxxCruisexxx said:

But the most important question I want answered is what will be the number of passengers? What will be the operating capacity?

I would assume that they will be wanting to sail as full as possible.   

19 hours ago, LdnJon said:

I've just ordered some of the government antigen (lateral flow) tests from here -https://www.gov.uk/order-coronavirus-rapid-lateral-flow-tests 

Might be worth taking along (or they might force you to buy their ones).

EDIT - they are free to order

I'd be pretty shocked if these were accepted, since they're specifically excluded from that sort of use because they're provided free of charge only for specific purposes.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, jeanlyon said:

Why are those free tests not acceptable.  I am not understanding that?

The free tests are done on a self certification basis. You do the test, then upload the result on to a government website. As there is no third party involved, there’s nothing to stop anybody uploading a negative result, even if they are positive 

• Like 2

On 9/16/2021 at 4:15 PM, Bin man said:

Yep that a fact government web site was updated this  morning for that precise event that their free lat flo test would not be accepted for the 3 day pre return travel requirements 

So what lat flo test IS accepted and how do they know you have done it.

Edited by jeanlyon
  • Like 2

That I don't know .When I posted that a few days ago things have changed again I am only guessing do you have to order a lateral flow test instead of the pcr in order to register on your travel form and will p and o stop their pre cruise testing ? We will soon find out from p and o you would hope

• Like 1

On 9/16/2021 at 10:57 PM, wowzz said:

If the DM is to be believed, things are going to get much easier in October

https://mol.im/a/9999485

The new rules could be ....

If I am double jabbed but I am also unknowingly carrying Covid  I will  not have to be tested therefore no   quarantine, but if I am not  jabbed and I am not  carrying covid  I will have to quarantine, is this correct ??? :classic_unsure:

Edited by kalos
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Bin man said:

That I don't know .When I posted that a few days ago things have changed again I am only guessing do you have to order a lateral flow test instead of the pcr in order to register on your travel form and will p and o stop their pre cruise testing ? We will soon find out from p and o you would hope

Hopefully not, the new regulations no longer require a pre travel test but only for those returning from abroad. P&O have to make some attempt to keep the vaccinated but infected from boarding the ship, if they don't they will get more COVID aboard for sure.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kalos said:

The new rules could be ....

If I am double jabbed but I am also unknowingly carrying Covid  I will  not have to be tested therefore no   quarantine, but if I am not  jabbed and I am not  carrying covid  I will have to quarantine, is this correct ??? :classic_unsure:

As I understand it, if you are double jabbed, when returning from any country otger than one on the red list, you will have to do a Day 2 lateral flow test. If you are not jabbed you will have to quarantine at home for 10 days, and I presume have to take a test at the end of tge 10 day period.  Can't say I feel confident that the quarantine period will be strictly enforced.  

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, davecttr said:

Hopefully not, the new regulations no longer require a pre travel test but only for those returning from abroad. P&O have to make some attempt to keep the vaccinated but infected from boarding the ship, if they don't they will get more COVID aboard for sure.

This is very true.  Double vaccination doesn’t mean you can’t contract the virus, nor does it mean you can’t pass it on. If the virus gets onto a ship the consequences are potentially disastrous for the cruise industry, given that we know the media will be onto it like flies immediately.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Harry Peterson said:

This is very true.  Double vaccination doesn’t mean you can’t contract the virus, nor does it mean you can’t pass it on. If the virus gets onto a ship the consequences are potentially disastrous for the cruise industry, given that we know the media will be onto it like flies immediately.

Harry, there have been a number of cases of covid on cruise ships since the restart, but none have been described as disastrous, and only brief mentions in the media, so let's hope that we are learning how to cope and live with covid.

18 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Harry, there have been a number of cases of covid on cruise ships since the restart, but none have been described as disastrous, and only brief mentions in the media, so let's hope that we are learning how to cope and live with covid.

Very recent in some cases ...

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/scots-couple-covid-cruise-hell-24968444

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/grandad-onboard-cruise-ship-scots-24982160

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Just because it's not in the media, doesn't mean that there haven't been issues.

There have been significant problems on  MSC Virtuosa. A social media group has pinpointed over 90 cabins where infections have taken place, and there have been well over 100 cases and one death. Of course, that's just one group on one social media site - there are probably other cases amongst non social media users.

As, I've before, there are too many hoops to jump through to make me want to board a cruise ship at this time.  However, I feel the hoops are necessary, as Covid must be kept off cruise ships.  Even in the double vaccinated it can still be a very nasty illness, not to be taken lightly. 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, terrierjohn said:

We booked 2 holidays on Friday and one today. Our booking for October will need to wait until my new passport arrives. If folk choose to remain unvaxxed, that is their option. They may find that their rules for travel are tougher. Their choice. Cope with and live with. 

3 hours ago, wowzz said:

As I understand it, if you are double jabbed, when returning from any country otger than one on the red list, you will have to do a Day 2 lateral flow test. If you are not jabbed you will have to quarantine at home for 10 days, and I presume have to take a test at the end of tge 10 day period.  Can't say I feel confident that the quarantine period will be strictly enforced.  

I think in your example, pre return flight, day 2 and day 8 PCR. For vaxxed LFT by day 2. Much more difficult to the great unjabbed .

34 minutes ago, zap99 said:

I think in your example, pre return flight, day 2 and day 8 PCR. For vaxxed LFT by day 2. Much more difficult to the great unjabbed .

Judging by the number of first timers we had in the vaccine hub today I would say that they are starting to realise that being unjabbed has the potential to make their life difficult.

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone heard anything yet regarding transatlantic cruise to Caribbean on Britannia 22 Oct 21, it seems to me that most of the excursions are selling out fast for each of the ports so I have booked excursions but will cancel if we can explore on our own. they may release details on the day before arrival in port as to gain the 10% cancelation charge but who knows .

Had an email from a Port contact friend yesterday in St Kitts (quote)

"It's been a long 18 Months for us with no cruises , however we just had our first ship Celebrity equinox on the 14th of Sep  and passengers were allowed to visit a few attractions  that were a part of the bubble - including the port.

So you can go on ship tours- however our Port is fully sealed so passengers could walk around freely within the Port  and shop.

Some other Islands have opened up completely namely St.martin &  St.thomas  and we hope  we will too , very soon .

We already have almost a full calendar of ships ,  beginning Nov this year..hope we will see you on one of them".