Viking Ocean Cruise Hawaii December 2021

wunderlust123

This is a new cruise and has not sailed yet. If you’ve never been to Hawaii, this would be a very nice way to visit the islands. Each island is unique and worth at least a couple of days, but I haven’t looked at the itinerary to know the length of each time in port. The biggest plus for me would just being on a Viking ocean cruise!

• Like 1

We booked this cruise when it was announced. I agree with Krisval as we’ve never been to Hawaii - and it is a relatively inexpensive way to see Hawaii and spend time on a Viking ocean ship. There is just one day in each of the 4 Hawaii ports, but we figure this is a great start for Hawaii newbies. We also like the idea of a holiday cruise with no children. We don’t know if Viking will ever offer this cruise again, so we jumped on it.

• Like 1

@wanderlust123 - as mentioned, this is a new voyage for Viking. We have had two previous trips to Hawaii on another line, and greatly enjoyed them both. We found the longer passages to/from the islands very relaxing (we love sea days), and the 4 days in the various ports allowed just the right amount of shore intensity in-between.

Our 2 cents worth of suggestions for excursions should they be available: Hilo - if there's a tour to the top of Mauna Kea, it's well worth the bus ride; Kilauea and Volcanoes Nat. Park is a possible second choice, although not as good in our view. Honolulu - Pearl Harbour is a must for first-time visitors, and a tour usually includes a number of the other sites of interest nearby. Kauai - if your budget will support it, any helicopter tour that takes you through the canyon and to the north shore is money well spent. Maui - we've always anchored off Lahina, and found the town a great one to explore on foot - not much help on Kahului.

Enjoy the trip! 🍺🥌

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ontario/AZ said:

We are booked on the Grand Hawaii & Polynesia 33 days Viking Orion Jan 5 2022.  Have always wanted to see Hawaii and Polynesia.  Alot of days at sea but better than a Canadian January.  

You will find that a fabulous trip. Here's a small teaser - Bora Bora from south of the island, close on sunset. 🍺🥌

yIMG_0111.JPG

• Like 7

Thanks to those making suggestions on the Hawaii shore excursions.  We are booked on the December 4th sailing and we are very hopeful that this cruise will be a go.  We intend to take Viking excursions at all the ports but we hope we will also be able to explore the ports independently.

We have been to Ensenada before and enjoyed a terrific independent tour with this company:

https://vallewinelife.com/ensenadawinetours

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/13/2021 at 10:43 AM, duquephart said:

Probably should experience Pearl Harbor but Honolulu might be the biggest tourist trap on the planet.

I lived on oahu for three years and I love Honolulu.  It's a very clean city with fabulous restaurants and some good shopping.  Even Waikiki, which is quite touristy, is a beautiful place and so fun to visit.  All of the islands are easy to get around on your own and with plenty to see.  My favorite cruise of all time was one that went to all of the islands.