What's the point of the gelato stand (~$5) when ice cream is free at the buffet?

fstuff1

And the classic drink package doesn't cover gelato.

Sure, Elites and above get 1 free scoop per cruise.

And I guess premium drink holders don't have to wait till the buffet is open.

But overall, what's the point since ice cream is free?

• Haha 2

I wondered that. I mean- gelato is great but wouldn't top my list of things to go after on a cruise. I suppose I'll have my one free scoop but even that is simply- odd. And how do you prove that you have any ranking- do they hand out coupons for the scoop? 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, 5waldos said:

I wondered that. I mean- gelato is great but wouldn't top my list of things to go after on a cruise. I suppose I'll have my one free scoop but even that is simply- odd. And how do you prove that you have any ranking- do they hand out coupons for the scoop? 

Discounts and freebies are loaded on your sea pass

• Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, fstuff1 said:

Because some people prefer gelato and have no issue with the $5 cost

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

6 minutes ago, 5waldos said:

Wondering why you would even spend any time thinking about free ice cream v $ gelato.  Gett your free gelato scoop then enjoy your free ice cream, because it does not top your list, pretty obvious they would not offer it if there no demand.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I thought classic members got 1 free scoop but away...

Flash back one month ago on the equinox and the icecream on that cruise was hands down some of the best icecream I’ve had in my life. 

Just got off the Edge today and I was shocked to see some of my favorite flavors like Peanut Butter and Caramel were only offered in gelato form, directly at the buffet.  I know Icecream and gelato are two different things, but overall concept is the same and to charge for it when within the same case other flavors are free, it’s just tacky. 

5 minutes ago, Seany527 said:

I thought classic members got 1 free scoop but away...

Flash back one month ago on the equinox and the icecream on that cruise was hands down some of the best icecream I’ve had in my life. 

Just got off the Edge today and I was shocked to see some of my favorite flavors like Peanut Butter and Caramel were only offered in gelato form, directly at the buffet.  I know Icecream and gelato are two different things, but overall concept is the same and to charge for it when within the same case other flavors are free, it’s just tacky. 

How much did it cost you?

1 hour ago, fstuff1 said:

I didn't think the premium beverage package included gelato.  

1 hour ago, fstuff1 said:

Lol honestly 🙄

59 minutes ago, cruisestitch said:

Why sell premium tea when teabags are free?

why sell espresso when coffee is free?

I think we all  know the answer.

Exactly.

You can get cofbfee at any restaurant, gas station and convenience store, how does Starbucks stay in business.

4 minutes ago, Oxo said:

Another pointless, useless perk joke. How many people value this perk? On the Edge the ice cream/Gelato is in the Ocean View Cafe . 

Loaded question bud, the elite, elite +, zenith, good lord free gelato (or I think loss of the $5 perk) sends them over the edge…

5 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

Loaded question bud, the elite, elite +, zenith, good lord free gelato (or I think loss of the $5 perk) sends them over the edge…

When you really add up the perks value they are minimal. Breakfast, Gelato, Happy hour, internet. With AI  those perks are valueless.

• Like 1

We used our free Gelato perks, Rum Raisin is the best. We also had the regular ice cream and it was good also. Gelato is better than regular ice cream (imho). I would not hesitate to pay $5 for a treat. My DH would not as he does not feel there is a difference. All about choices. I like the perk but would not be upset if it is discontinued.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, fstuff1 said:

Have you ever tasted the difference between ice cream and Gelato? Is there a difference between a straight up well liquor and a premium brand? Is there a difference between instant Nescafe and a good espressso? If you can't tell the difference, then stick with the free stuff. If you appreciate the difference then you'll also appreciate why the price difference.

I have a friend with a store that sells artisinal ice cream and Gelato in summer. And even though the Gelato costs a fair bit more, it vastly outsells the ice cream. People (at least some) don't mind paying more for a better product

Edited by mom says
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1