What's the point of the gelato stand (~$5) when ice cream is free at the buffet?

fstuff1

5 minutes ago, mom says said:

Have you ever tasted the difference between ice cream and Gelato? Is there a difference between a straight up well liquor and a premium brand? Is there a difference between instant Nescafe and a good espressso? If you can't tell the difference, then stick with the free stuff. If you appreciate the difference then you'll also appreciate why the price difference.

I have a friend with a store that sells artisinal ice cream and Gelato in summer. And even though the Gelato costs a fair bit more, it vastly outsells the ice cream. People (at least some) don't mind paying more for a better product

Well come on now, it costs $5 shiver me timber’s.  Gotta say, oh never mind, even at $5 a scoop for gelato, I don’t mind delaying my retirement by a week.

• Haha 1

I get gelato because I like it More than ice cream; I drink expresso’s and lattes because I like them more than regular coffee; I buy travel shirts and pants at Sam’s instead of specialty shops…..it’s called personal preferences of what we enjoy and what we are willing to spend our money on. But I bet the OP and all others fully understand that. 

It’s why some of our friends would never go on a cruise because it just goes to ports for short times and they don’t see themselves enjoying being ‘stuck’ on board; it’s why we cruise instead of RVing…….well the reason I don’t RV is because my wife says her idea of vacationing Isn’t taking the kitchen, the bathroom and a bed she has to make every day along with her and my response is…..”yes dear”.  

Personal preferences. 

Den

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, LGW59 said:

At one cruise per year I’ll never be select or above, but more than happy to pay 5 bucks for a gelato.

It is Classic and above.   One free gelato scoop after the first cruise - we found that there is only a line for gelato towards the end of the cruise when everyone realizes that they hadn't yet remembered to get their free scoop.   

On our second cruise (1st free gelato cruise) DH put off getting his free scoop, and before we knew it, the cruise was over.   

1 hour ago, ScubesDad said:

Exactly.

You can get cofbfee at any restaurant, gas station and convenience store, how does Starbucks stay in business.

We have wondered the same thing ever since we first tasted Starbucks 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Seany527 said:

I thought classic members got 1 free scoop but away...

Flash back one month ago on the equinox and the icecream on that cruise was hands down some of the best icecream I’ve had in my life. 

Just got off the Edge today and I was shocked to see some of my favorite flavors like Peanut Butter and Caramel were only offered in gelato form, directly at the buffet.  I know Icecream and gelato are two different things, but overall concept is the same and to charge for it when within the same case other flavors are free, it’s just tacky. 

That Caramel was good 

1 minute ago, Auntiemomo said:

Their gelato is not worth standing in line to get, even when there's never a line to get it.  Call it what you want, but the ship's gelato is nothing more than ice cream.  

In your humble opinion and never had a line of 3 or 4 ahead of me 

• Like 1

Agree that the ship’s Gelato is nowhere near as good as Gelato in most Italian towns we have visited. Ben and Jerry’s is much better than the ship’s Gelato in my opinion only. 

The reason they moved the Gelato to the OV Cafe is because there was rarely line and paying for staff was a losing proposition. 

Edited by RICCruisers
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, RICCruisers said:

Agree that the ship’s Gelato is nowhere near as good as Gelato in most Italian towns we have visited. Ben and Jerry’s is much better than the ship’s Gelato in my opinion only. 

Suffer the cruise masses…

3 hours ago, Seany527 said:

I thought classic members got 1 free scoop but away...

Flash back one month ago on the equinox and the icecream on that cruise was hands down some of the best icecream I’ve had in my life. 

Just got off the Edge today and I was shocked to see some of my favorite flavors like Peanut Butter and Caramel were only offered in gelato form, directly at the buffet.  I know Icecream and gelato are two different things, but overall concept is the same and to charge for it when within the same case other flavors are free, it’s just tacky. 

i was able to get peanut butter and caramel ice cream (not gelato) in the buffet on edge a couple of weeks ago. You just need to wait for it. The flavors rotate. 

Since everyone is giving the OP such a hard time, I’ll admit to not being willing to pay $5 for gelato. In fact, I’m not sure that I’ve ever bothered to get my free scoop of gelato. Ice cream is fine, but to me it all tastes the same so don’t really care to get ‘good’ ice cream. My favorite desserts are cookies and cakes; so typically wouldn’t bother with ice cream if other dessert choices are available.

10 hours ago, RICCruisers said:

The reason they moved the Gelato to the OV Cafe is because there was rarely line and paying for staff was a losing proposition. 

Have agree the ship gelato isn’t that great , you find ice crystals in their gelato which is a big no no 

Just yesterday while lining up a putt on the 18th hole I was thinking the same thing about the gelato stand ---- it got me so confused that I missed a 2 ft putt.

The same damn thing happened last week when thinking about who the CD might be on our next cruise.

I'm giving up golf--- too stressful with all this CC " stuff " to worry about !!

( Who's going to be first to " So Don't Read It " ) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I do agree with some others here (by my tastes and opinion) that the ship Gelato seems to be of mediocre quality compared to the real fresh version from a Gelato shop on land, particularly in Europe.  Yes and I know the difference between the two.  The Celebrity gelato is fine as long as I use my free coupon.  But not much different than the always- free ice cream in the Oceanview.  So I personally would not pay for a small Gelato scoop on board for $5.  

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Pinboy said:

Just yesterday while lining up a putt on the 18th hole I was thinking the same thing about the gelato stand ---- it got me so confused that I missed a 2 ft putt.

The same damn thing happened last week when thinking about who the CD might be on our next cruise.

I'm giving up golf--- too stressful with all this CC " stuff " to worry about !!

( Who's going to be first to " So Don't Read It " ) 

So don’t read it!  🥳

• Haha 1