Awful Quiet on Reports of Covid on ships?

glentally

6 minutes ago, nelblu said:

The purpose of my comment was that the change was done either from medical  information provided by RCL to the CDC or from (suspicion) CDC personnel on board.

Or because the cruise line didn't get their report in on time.

10 minutes ago, katiel53 said:

Under 12 are NOT tested at the port.  There was a policy change and it is effective tomorrow.  I am enclosing it so the info you have given can be corrected.  It is taken from the RC website.

Required Pre-Cruise Testing for Cruises Departing September 13, 2021 or Later

Guests departing on or after September 13, 2021 will need to meet the new requirements recently issued by the U.S. CDC.

Vaccinated guests age 12 and older must show a negative COVID-19 test result for a PCR or antigen test taken no more than 2 days before boarding.

Unvaccinated kids age 2 to 11 must show a negative test result for a PCR test taken no more than 3 daysbefore boarding. Antigen tests will not be accepted.

Guests under 2 years of age will not be tested.

The cost of pre-cruise testing is the guest’s responsibility.

Under 12 are tested at the port, from the RC web site and directly underneath what you quoted above:

Kids Age 2-11: Additional Complimentary Testing

In addition to the pre-cruise test, kids will take one or two more tests, depending on the length of the cruise. Royal Caribbean’s test provider will administer these, at no cost to our guests.

• On boarding day, kids will take a complimentary rapid PCR test during check-in at the terminal. We’ll send registration details via email before departure.
  • For cruises that are 5 nights or longer, kids will take a complimentary antigen test onboard before the cruise ends. Vaccinated guests who require a COVID-19 test for re-entry into their country may receive one onboard as well. Guests will be notified onboard about how to register for this test.
  • Like 4

9 minutes ago, nelblu said:

The purpose of my comment was that the change was done either from medical  information provided by RCL to the CDC or from (suspicion) CDC personnel on board.

And the purpose of my comment is, you have no idea why the change was made, and the CDC won’t share the information, so I don’t consider it valid at all. 
Either the ship sails or it does not, that’s all that matters. 

14 minutes ago, katiel53 said:

Under 12 are NOT tested at the port.  There was a policy change and it is effective tomorrow.  I am enclosing it so the info you have given can be corrected.  It is taken from the RC website.

Guests departing on or after September 13, 2021 will need to meet the new requirements recently issued by the U.S. CDC.

Vaccinated guests age 12 and older must show a negative COVID-19 test result for a PCR or antigen test taken no more than 2 days before boarding.

Unvaccinated kids age 2 to 11 must show a negative test result for a PCR test taken no more than 3 daysbefore boarding. Antigen tests will not be accepted.

This is incomplete information. Had you continued to cut and paste further down the page, you would have captured the paragraph about ages 2-11 getting a rapid PCR test at check in. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, crusinthrough said:

Can you post a link for the "few have even died from it"?  I'm not disputing there were cases in the first few sailings but protocols were adjusted to prevent future cases.  I just don't remember reading about a few people who died.  

I have only read about one death they deemed due to Covid which they say was a cruise ship passenger.  Easy to search on the internet.  I had the link posted here, but as you can see from the comment below, I decided to remove the link.  I do not feel like getting a "time out" just for answering your question.

Edited by Russ Lomas
remove link

1 hour ago, Homosassa said:

Exactly. The change has allowed the cruiseline to weed out VACCINATED passengers that have contracted a breakthrough information and are positive upon testing but not yet showing symptoms.

Somewhere, there was a statement made by a Royal Caribbean that after two weeks of the change from three to two days, there was an average of ten more vaccinated passengers testing positive at two days over tested at three days.

No, I am not searching for that data. It is out there for you just as it is for me.

The testing change from 3  days to 2 days begins 9.13, tomorrow.

35 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

The sources you have cited are incredibly biased, and do not fortify your credibility on this discussion 

You may choose not to accept the ’sources’ but the ‘facts’ are reported on various sites, including testimonials from the passengers themselves. To deny that a problem exists is to perpetuate it! Do your own research before condemning the messengers.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, BarbaraB2 said:

Check out the following….The FACTS are stated! 

https://www.cruiselawnews.com/2021/09/articles/disease/covid-19-aboard-msc-virtuosa/

Anecdotal comments/rants from twitter do not “facts” make. What you have is a feeding frenzy of disgruntled people with agendas. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, BarbaraB2 said:

You may choose not to accept the ’sources’ but the ‘facts’ are reported on various sites, including testimonials from the passengers themselves. To deny that a problem exists is to perpetuate it! Do your own research before condemning the messengers.

Those aren’t facts, those are disgruntled passenger statements put together by an ambulance chasing firm with a long history of arbitrary litigation against the cruise industry. 

IF the article shows anything, it is that the protocols in place for US embarkation seem to be making a difference when compared to the apparent lack of protocols on this UK sailing. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LuCruise said:

Anyone know if Royal is still flying people home for those few that do test positive (at least in near future)?  I heard of a few scenarios initially but not sure they are continuing to do so.

I agree with the above...the combo of 2 day pre-testing will help, 12+ must be vaccinated (and under 12 tested at the port), and masks indoors all help.

The Covid Assistance plan expires on Oct. 31, but the wording has been incorporated into the cancellation policy until Dec. 31.

The language actually does not say they will use charter jets to return guests who test positive, but we know there are instances where they have done that. It says only that they will provide for land based-quarantine if necessary and transportation home.

It likely has to do with port agreements and laws of the host country. A family recently quarantined in Spain after one tested positive at embarkation because the law required that they quarantine before travel home which was done by commercial air.

On the other hand, I have not read of anyone required to quarantine in a Caribbean country. We can probably expect the policy to continue to be carried out as it has been until the end of the year.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jerseygirl1416 said:

Because people need to take personal responsibility for their health and make their own informed decisions. The CDC has recommended that anyone in a high risk for a bad outcome from Covid, like certain age groups, people with diabetes, breathing issues, obesity…vaccinated or not vaccinated should not cruise but lots of those people are ignoring that recommendation so they accept the risk of not only contracting Covid on a ship but having a bad outcome. The information is out there.

How does one make an informed decision without full information?

2 hours ago, Homosassa said:

Yes, it makes sense.

Changing the window for pre boarding testing from three to two days has allowed the cruise line to weed out more positive passengers.

Masks also help stop the transmission of the disease between passengers (even vaccinated ones).

Which hasn't changed yet the change to two days doesn't happen until tomorrow so that isn't the reason. 

12 minutes ago, cured said:

How does one make an informed decision without full information?

I’m not sure what more information anyone needs almost 2 years into this virus nightmare. No where is 100% safe from contracting the virus. If you know your health status puts you in a high risk category it’s your own personal responsibility to keep yourself safe and I would think going on a cruise against CDC recommendation would be an unsafe risky situation. That said I believe anyone in this country has the right to make their own health decisions. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, katiel53 said:

Under 12 are NOT tested at the port.  There was a policy change and it is effective tomorrow.  I am enclosing it so the info you have given can be corrected.  It is taken from the RC website

WRONG!  I suggest you read what is beneath your snip it.  They require children under 12 to test before as well as test at cruise port before embarking.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Jerseygirl1416 said:

I’m not sure what more information anyone needs almost 2 years into this virus nightmare. No where is 100% safe from contracting the virus. If you know your health status puts you in a high risk category it’s your own personal responsibility to keep yourself safe and I would think going on a cruise against CDC recommendation would be an unsafe risky situation. That said I believe anyone in this country has the right to make their own health decisions. 

I agree. But to not have the actual counts on each ship makes it very difficult to make a decision on one's own health. The CDC is a generalized warning and should be taken seriously but also balanced with the actual covid data from ships.

3 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

Multiple tests and a high percentage of vaccinations is why there have been no issues on ships.

Certainly not due to masks

The voice of reason in a crazy world. Unless a mask is a properly  and professionally fitted N95 or you are wearing a PAPR, covering your mouth an nose with a piece of cloth will not prevent the transmission of the virus. 

The'pretty "Monet's Garden" fabric we wrap our nose and mouth in WILL protect us from goo if a  big goober hurls our way but does not provide and never should be confused a medical grade mask that filters the virus. 

• Like 3

I think we have enough info to realize many ships are seeing a small number of positive cases, but that there have been no or almost no larger outbreaks. Not sure how much more data people need to make a decision. 

And while many of the expert epidemiologists on cruise critic post with confidence that they know exactly what role each of the measures plays in keeping Covid down, my gut tells me that no one knows and that such posts are.... 

3 hours ago, katiel53 said:

I believe you are incorrect. Kids 2-11 are tested at the terminal.  If you read the next section of the protocols it says:

Kids Age 2-11: Additional Testing

In addition to the pre-cruise test, kids will take one or two more tests, depending on the length of the cruise. Royal Caribbean’s test provider will administer these, at no cost to our guests.

At the Terminal
For all cruises, kids will take a complimentary PCR test when checking in at the terminal. Registration details will be sent via email in advance.

Prior to Disembarking
For cruises that are 5 nights or longer, kids will take a complimentary antigen test onboard before the cruise ends. Vaccinated guests who require a COVID-19 test for re-entry into their country may receive one onboard as well. Guests will be notified onboard about how to register for this test.

3 hours ago, jk04 said:

Don, the cruise vlogger from Canada, did post a video yesterday about the large outbreak on the MSC Virtuoso in the UK.  Due to that outbreak they have updated their safety protocols.  Apparently they had relaxed things such as requiring passengers to be vaccinated, masking while indoors, and social distancing.  That relaxing of guidelines is causing Covid outbreaks.  So, MSC has reinstated the stricter protocols.    

eta:  I think Royal is trying to do everything right.  They are currently sailing at reduced capacity, wanting the passengers vaccinated, still requiring masking and social distancing, and requiring testing prior to boarding.

I've heard the same things about MSC particularly the Virtuoso.  They increased passenger capacity and anecdotally, people were tweeting etc. that venues were packed and there was no social distancing.  In addition, the Virtuoso (and maybe other MSC ships) had a traditional muster drill.  The e-muster or muster 2.0 that RCI uses eliminated a packed drill that has the potential to become a super-spreader event.  

We sailed on Allure on the 8-22-2021 cruise and only had 1,600 passengers for a ship that holds 5,400 for double occupancy and more for 3 and 4 in a cabin).  There were 1,800 crew.  People abided by the mask and social distancing requirements.  The ship also required guests 12 and up to be vaccinated due to Virgin Island and Bahama's restrictions on ships docking with unvaccinated passengers in this age group.   I felt very safe and we've been home for 3 weeks and never picked up COVID.  

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, cured said:

I agree. But to not have the actual counts on each ship makes it very difficult to make a decision on one's own health. The CDC is a generalized warning and should be taken seriously but also balanced with the actual covid data from ships.

Even if they released the data it would be a month or more behind because the data would never be released instantaneously. 

Even if they released the data it would incomplete because there is no general testing before disembarkation and there's also no testing every passenger 5ish days after sailing with a PCR test. 

Even if they released the data, who knows what the makeup would be of your cruise. Your cruise could have a lot more risky individuals or more unvaccinated or a higher passenger count or any other thing that shifts the numbers and risk which could vary dramatically from sailing to sailing. 

Either you find the protocols acceptable and worth the risk or you don't. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

Also what can't be undervalued enough is the quality ventilation systems on ships. That may well be the #1 reason there hasn't been any onboard spread

As one who has actually maintained these "quality ventilation systems", I'd love to know what sets them apart from any ventilation or HVAC system in any building ashore?