Transfer Reservation from one TA to another TA?

mfabz

I know you can transfer a reservation made with Celebrity directly to a TA of your choice.  But can you transfer from one TA to another TA?  Current online TA has become very difficult to deal with since pandemic.  Thanks for your reply.

To extend the OP's question---how does one find a good, responsive cruise TA?  I know that agent names cannot be posted, but I really don't know how to google this for an answer.  The on-line agency I have been using for many years has also become very difficult to deal with since the pandemic.  I no longer have one specific agent that I can contact as needed.   It sometimes takes days to receive a response and sometimes not at all.

I feel your pain.  In the very same boat and on my third TA since our cruise from March, 2020 was canceled.  Word of mouth, friend of a friend, or reading reviews all end up being a crap shoot.  It's trial and error unfortunately.  While I understand the travel industry's rug being pulled out from under them and the hassles of rebooking, we are still customers and deserve some consideration and respect.

Probably not.  Celebrity and the TA have to agree to release the original booking to Celebrity. If you have a compelling case this part is not that difficult. Celebrity would then hold the reservation. But Celebrity would also have to make an exception to transfer a booking to a TA that is more than 30 days old which may be unlikely. 

• Thanks 1

jmfdr -- I think we are dealing with the same agency.  Celebrity's offer of 20% off cruise fare is applicable to my reservation and expires on 9/16.  Their response time is 3 to 5 business days and while I contacted them last week, I still have not heard from them.  The difference is substantial.

I think we have the same "3 to 5 day to respond" Travel Agency.    I have had nothing but trouble with them since the Pandemic and I too understand the upheaval of the travel business and that they had to fire many of their former employees, but it is very frustrating trying to deal with price match guarantees and cancelled cruises with rebooking options with them in any sort of timely manner.  I wish Celebrity Cruises would make exceptions for us moving reservations due to the gross derilect of responsive service from them.  I am a retired Travel Agent with years of experience and I will not be booking with them in the future.  I have tried their social media accounts, etc to get some type of response from them and they just ghost you.  

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, mfabz said:

jmfdr -- I think we are dealing with the same agency.  Celebrity's offer of 20% off cruise fare is applicable to my reservation and expires on 9/16.  Their response time is 3 to 5 business days and while I contacted them last week, I still have not heard from them.  The difference is substantial.

Probably the same agency!  Frustrating to miss out on the 20% discount because a TA does not respond in time.  Good luck.

Prior to covid,  I dealt with a single agent within this agency.  She would get back to me within the day to answer any questions.  And yes, now, 3-5 days but a couple of times, I never received a call back.  I would really like to find a new independent cruise agent who will be responsive to my requests.

1 hour ago, mfabz said:

Could you book the cruise with the discount as a separate booking and then cancel the previous reservation (assuming there will not be penalties for canceling)?

8 minutes ago, bstoeck said:

I am a retired Travel Agent with years of experience and I will not be booking with them in the future.  I have tried their social media accounts, etc to get some type of response from them and they just ghost you.  

I agree, I certainly will not longer book with this agency!

I typically book direct but from a recommendation on FB - this last time I booked with a TA.  I texted her yesterday, on a Sunday, and when she called me back 10 minutes later - the new invoice was already in my email.   Saved $1,480.

Did she give me tons of OBC when I originally booked - no, not much.  Did she have a group rate that was cheaper than retail - she did not.  Her customer service though is excellent and I will be using her again!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

OK I'm going to join this discussion because I am sure I have the same agency (which we have been using for many years).    They say 3 to 5 days but unless you are booking a new cruise they ignore any contact.  Oh, new cruises are to be booked online and not over the phone.   The phone message says to contact Customer Service but if you call them the message is to send an email.   I could not get anyone to answer the phone.  

I have 2 X cruises booked but the rate was not calculated correctly because the online booking engine does not take into consideration the Elite + discount on Aqua.   I have tried 2 emails (8/16 & 8/25) to Customer Service and even contacting them using the "Contact Us" feature of the web site (8/30).   Here it is 9/13 and nothing.  I talked to X and they said we are eligible for the lower rate but the TA must do it.   Caught between the rock and the hard place.

I was thinking of cancelling the 2 cruises but I don't want to give the TA the cancellation fees for doing nothing.   I have hope they will improve soon.  If not, I am dead set against giving them any new business in the future.

For anyone looking to investigate an agency, I suggest doing a search on the agency name, BBB, and complaints.  It may be enlightening.  

Sorry for venting.  From reading the boards I knew I was not the only person they won't talk to.  Pure and complete frustration.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, mfabz said:

I know you can transfer a reservation made with Celebrity directly to a TA of your choice.  But can you transfer from one TA to another TA?  Current online TA has become very difficult to deal with since pandemic.  Thanks for your reply.

I am not sure my response will answer your questions specifically but in April 2020 when all cruises were being canceled left and right, I had long wait times with Royal on those I booked directly with them but they were all resolved as soon as they answered the phone after an hour on hold.  However, I had one cruise with an online TA.  I had the same experience you have had, could not get through, when I did no resolution, promises to call back, no email replies, etc.  Eventually, I was fed up and was able to connect with a supervisor.  The cruise I was calling about had not yet been canceled but it was one I booked with Royal and then transferred to an online TA for the OBC.  Since Royal was paying all commissions to TAs whether the cruise was canceled or not, I asked that they release it and transfer it back to Royal.  They agreed and transferred it back as I requested.  I then was in full control of that cruise.  I know this comment my cause some "lively discussion" but going forward I will book my cruises directly with the cruise line and avoid online TAs at all costs.  Just my personal choice as I prefer to control my own future.  At this point a little bit of extra OBC is meaningless.  At the time they were scrambling, I understand that, they did release it back to Royal so kudos there but they really had no interest in me as a customer or whether I would receive a refund or not.

Edited by RedOaks
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, jmfdr said:

To extend the OP's question---how does one find a good, responsive cruise TA?  I know that agent names cannot be posted, but I really don't know how to google this for an answer.  The on-line agency I have been using for many years has also become very difficult to deal with since the pandemic.  I no longer have one specific agent that I can contact as needed.   It sometimes takes days to receive a response and sometimes not at all.

Howdy @jmfdr  emo22.gif

Jan, it takes more than just G👀gle to find a good one. emo34.gif There is some "work" for you to do... be it word of mouth by asking friends or other cruisers while cruising, online research of agencies, BBB, etc. emo12.gif Hopefully, this Cruise Critic article (last updated August 31, 2021) will be helpful for you as well as anyone else reading this thread: Finding a Cruise Travel Agent 

Be sure to check out the How to Locate an Agent section.

I hope this will be helpful and glad to have you aboard Cruise Critic! emo35.gif

Happy sails,

Host Kat  emo32.gif

6 hours ago, mfabz said:

I think I have  bookings with that same TA and 1 got 2 bookings repriced with the 20% promotion within 2 days.  I know they are short staffed and like many business are having difficulty finding people to fill opening.  I have had their Customer Service folks respond to a couple of inquiries on Sunday - when they normally not open.  

10 hours ago, mfabz said:

Me thinks I am also dealing with the same agency. ☹️

I guess I am old and set in my ways.  I have always booked cruises on my own with one exception.

I transfer the reservations that I have made to a TA, or have Celebrity do it when I book but I work directly with Celebrity, and almost always onboard, to get the itinerary, cabin category, and room I want. 

My TA has never given me an discount and her price to me is always that same that I get when i price on-line.  

However, she has never taken more than 24 hours to get back to me on any issue or pressing question, even over the weekends.  She runs her own business and very reachable and effective in dealing with everything from booking a private car for transportation from FLL to Miami or recommending shore excursion companies in norther Europe. 

17 hours ago, Host Kat said:

Howdy @jmfdr  emo22.gif

Jan, it takes more than just G👀gle to find a good one. emo34.gif There is some "work" for you to do... be it word of mouth by asking friends or other cruisers while cruising, online research of agencies, BBB, etc. emo12.gif Hopefully, this Cruise Critic article (last updated August 31, 2021) will be helpful for you as well as anyone else reading this thread: Finding a Cruise Travel Agent 

Be sure to check out the How to Locate an Agent section.

I hope this will be helpful and glad to have you aboard Cruise Critic! emo35.gif

Happy sails,

Host Kat  emo32.gif

Thanks Kat.  Good suggestions and good article.  I'm on a search!!! Jan

• Thanks 1

I worked with the same TA1 for more than a year.  It was several trips.  Then TA1 was out of town and she had another TA2 book the new cruise.  I haven't been as happy with TA2.  Now TA2 is out of office on vacation I suppose.  I emailed TA1 to see if she can help me with the 20% sale.  I don't expect a quick response.

I am debating whether I should just deal with Celebrity in the future.

Yes, it is important to be able to reach a TA on weekends. I also have a TA who works with an agency that is open 7 days a week, with hours from 7 AM to 8 PM eastern time.  Over  several years I have had to rely on the weekend staff to make adjustments or new reservations for me. Never a problem. And do not use an agency that charges change or cancellation fees.  Best TA I have ever had unfortunately died unexpectedly.  Once while we were on a cruise, the cruise line opened a sale which included an up coming cruise date for us. When I was able to contact her when we returned home, she had already been reviewing her clients with bookings with that cruise company and had gotten the reduced, sale rate for us for that upcoming cruise!

• 2 weeks later...

Just as a follow-up on the 3 to 5 day agency.

I tried to direct dial the agent there who did all our bookings before Covid.

Guess what!   They changed all the extension numbers and provide no way  to get the new number.  Still can't talk to a human and all emails are ignored.

And like some others above, we are missing out on the 20% sale.   Celebrity is no help, we called but was told you must talk to your TA.    I want to try and cancel both our Cruises but DW says no and anyway I don't know who to call.    Venting over for now.

On 9/13/2021 at 4:13 AM, mfabz said:

In 2018 I had a TA that became very unresponsive after an abrupt change in ownership.  I didn't bother asking the TA to release my booking.  I sent an email to agencychanges@rccl.com to explain the situation and requested that my booking be transferred to a different TA that I specified.

Three calendar days later I received an email from reservationtransfers@rccl.com informing me that my booking had been transferred.

Good luck.

David

3 hours ago, mahdnc said:

In 2018 I had a TA that became very unresponsive after an abrupt change in ownership.  I didn't bother asking the TA to release my booking.  I sent an email to agencychanges@rccl.com to explain the situation and requested that my booking be transferred to a different TA that I specified.

Three calendar days later I received an email from reservationtransfers@rccl.com informing me that my booking had been transferred.

Good luck.

David

Thank you very much for this information!!!   I appreciate it!!!   Maybe there is light at the end of this messy tunnel.   Since this is for a Celebrity cruise would the address be reservationtransfers@celebrity.com or is the one you gave for overall Corporate RCI?   Sorry for the dumb question.

Edited by cruiserhal
Added question at end