Are more of you buying insurance because of covid? which one?

sharon&family

I have never bought trip insurance before but am thinking about it due to covid.  We sail in @20 days so I need to make up my mind if we should get it or not.  We are a family of 4, two adults and a 11 and 16 year old.  Should we get it?  Should we go with Carnival or is there a better one (if so which one and do I order online)?

Someone just posted on John Healds page that they are currently on a ship and passenger had a medical emergency incurring a very large sign and sail bill. Other passengers were chipping in to help pay for it as the couple didn’t have insurance.  No insurance isn’t a problem until you need it.  I have never cruised without it after hearing all the horror stories of insane bills and evacs and being stuck in a foreign country. But I would not go without it especially with covid in the picture. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BroadwayGirl said:

Someone just posted on John Healds page that they are currently on a ship and passenger had a medical emergency incurring a very large sign and sail bill. Other passengers were chipping in to help pay for it as the couple didn’t have insurance.  No insurance isn’t a problem until you need it.  I have never cruised without it after hearing all the horror stories of insane bills and evacs and being stuck in a foreign country. But I would not go without it especially with covid in the picture. 

Good advice. I'll have to check out Johns page.

However, as a side note. Having insurance is not the final answer. This passenger would still have to pay the bill and THEN file for reimbursement from the travel insurance provider.

Always have a high limit credit card available for an emergency.

I know, not everyone has that luxury. I know I didn't in my early days. It is a risk that one takes though when traveling internationally.

Carnival is one of the few cruise lines that does not offer any financial assistance if one of you should test positive for Covid during your cruise.That alone is enough reason to consider insurance though it will cover travel related disruptions as well as medical and evacuation for any emergency.

First, check to see if your regular insurance covers any medical expenses when you are out of the country. It might help you decide how much coverage you need. Cruise line insurance typically has low dollar limits.

Go to one of the websites like squaremouth or insuremytrip to search for policies that are suitable for your needs. Insuremytrip has a search feature for Covid friendly policies.You can compare policies recommended for you. Compile a list of questions after reviewing the policies and consult an agent to explain the parts you don’t understand or call Steve Dasseos at The Trip Insurance Store. He is a broker featured here on CC and can help you with buying or processing a claim if necessary.

I suggest you seek professional help since you are new to travel insurance. It can be overwhelming, and a pro can help you avoid the pitfalls, but be armed with your own questions before you call. Do some research first.

• Like 1