What cruise lines have you sailed in?

George C

1 hour ago, cruisemom42 said:

Since this entire exercise is only for fun, I say people can list what they want.

However for me I would suggest that if a line has (or would have had, if they are no longer operating) a forum on Cruise Critic, and/or they are included in major guidebooks on cruising, then they should definitely be included.  So (in my mind anyway) Hurtigruten would be a YES but the Staten Island Ferry would be a NO.

Yes , I was a little surprised to see states island ferry, maybe I should have said cruise lines that cost more than .25 cents , actually I am pretty sure it was free at one point.

2 hours ago, sverigecruiser said:

I know that. Does that necessary mean that they can be called a cruiseline? I don't know the definition, that's why I asked.

If you are on a ship with living quarters and meal service furnished for the passengers for a number of days, traveling to an advertised destination, what could you possibly call it if not a cruise ship?  And, by logical extension, the company for which it sailed would have to be referred to as a cruise line.  

If size of the vessel is used as a determinant,  shouldn’t overall quality of experience also apply —— putting the likes of NCL and Carnival in doubt?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

If size of the vessel is used as a determinant,  shouldn’t overall quality of experience also apply —— putting the likes of NCL and Carnival in doubt?

Good point - as usual. We sailed on Hurtigruten to Antarctica but also did a Norwegian coastal cruise with only 100 pax and it was super. Definitely a cruise.

36 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

If you are on a ship with living quarters and meal service furnished for the passengers for a number of days, traveling to an advertised destination, what could you possibly call it if not a cruise ship?  And, by logical extension, the company for which it sailed would have to be referred to as a cruise line.  

Agree , I would rather see list in order from favorite to least favorite such as NCL and Carnival for many , although I am sure they have there supporters . 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, sverigecruiser said:

What's the definition of a cruise line?

Can for example Hurtigruten be called a cruiseline? Most (all?) of their ships are ferries and they mainly provide transportation along the Norwegian coast. They also have "real" cruises so are they a cruiseline? Most people in Sweden have probably been on "a cruise" on Viking Line or Silja Line to Finland but for me that is not a cruise. Can they still be called cruiselines?

I would say if it was a cruise, then put it on the list.  If it was a ferry from point A to point B, then no.   

Our cruises are:  

RCI

Celebrity

Princess

Carnival

• Like 2

Princess, Louis, P&O, NCL, Thomson/Marella, RCI, Fred Olsen.

Lots of over night ferries from the UK to different ports on the Continent.

But the best was 2 organised tours by coach, sleeping on board different Macbraynes ferries around the Scottish Islands... memories mainly of haggis, fresh salmon and the great choice of whisky on board.  😜

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, jocap said:

Princess, Louis, P&O, NCL, Thomson/Marella, RCI, Fred Olsen.

Lots of over night ferries from the UK to different ports on the Continent.

But the best was 2 organised tours by coach, sleeping on board different Macbraynes ferries around the Scottish Islands... memories mainly of haggis, fresh salmon and the great choice of whisky on board.  😜

I've never had haggis, but I bet I would remember it is I did!  

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

No.  (I am going to stick up for Carnival; my NCL experience is too long ago, but was, for a 4 day budget cruise, a better quality than I expected.)  

One can look at my signature and see what cruise lines on which I have sailed.  Has there been a difference in the quality of the cruise experience from one line as compared to another?  Most certainly.  But, that quality difference can exist within any given cruise line.  

My Cunard experiences ranged from "when does this garbage barge" (as my traveling companion described our TA on QE2) get into New York to a pleasant (but not without an issue) Caribbean cruise on QM2.  

And whenever anymore I embark on a HAL cruise, I wonder:  what will this one be like due to HAL's inconsistency of providing consistently good cruise experiences?  

As for Carnival, I have not had one cruise on any of their vessels that did not meet my expectations.  In fact, my expectations have been exceeded at times.  

1 minute ago, rkacruiser said:

No.  (I am going to stick up for Carnival; my NCL experience is too long ago, but was, for a 4 day budget cruise, a better quality than I expected.)  

One can look at my signature and see what cruise lines on which I have sailed.  Has there been a difference in the quality of the cruise experience from one line as compared to another?  Most certainly.  But, that quality difference can exist within any given cruise line.  

My Cunard experiences ranged from "when does this garbage barge" (as my traveling companion described our TA on QE2) get into New York to a pleasant (but not without an issue) Caribbean cruise on QM2.  

And whenever anymore I embark on a HAL cruise, I wonder:  what will this one be like due to HAL's inconsistency of providing consistently good cruise experiences?  

As for Carnival, I have not had one cruise on any of their vessels that did not meet my expectations.  In fact, my expectations have been exceeded at times.  

It has been many many years since we have been on a Carnival ship.   Very active & energetic to be sure.  I also found the dining comparable to the other mainstream lines.   I have no idea how they would compare these days.   

4 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

I suppose I should include the multiple times I took the Circle Line cruise around Manhattan

That is a great tour that allows for a different perspective of New York City.  

4 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

In Hong Kong, the Star Ferry.  

I never tire of the Star Ferry!  I have "sailed" in both First Class and Steerage.  One of my favorite memories was a trip from Kowloon to the Island in Steerage.  It was "rush hour" time.  I sat next to a gentleman who was a business man (according to how he was dressed).  When I took my seat, he asked "What are you doing here?"  (Guess I was too obviously a tourist.)  

1 hour ago, navybankerteacher said:

Maybe it can be called a ferry? 

So a onenight cruise to nowhere is not a cruise?

I don't say that you are wrong, I only think that it's interesting to hear how other people think about the definition of a cruiseline.   

36 minutes ago, ldubs said:

I would say if it was a cruise, then put it on the list.  If it was a ferry from point A to point B, then no.   

What if it's a ferry from point A to point B and back to point A. Should you call that a cruise? Lots of people in Sweden call thoose trips to Finland cruises and I don't say that they are wrong. I only say that I disagree because for me that isn't a cruise.

1 hour ago, sverigecruiser said:

What if it's a ferry from point A to point B and back to point A. Should you call that a cruise? Lots of people in Sweden call thoose trips to Finland cruises and I don't say that they are wrong. I only say that I disagree because for me that isn't a cruise.

In the example you give, I think I would agree with you.  Especially with the focus of these forums.    A dictionary might say any boat ride from port to port is cruising.  But I believe our context is narrower.   

Edited by ldubs
IDK, Just seemed like a good idea!

My list is not along list, but a bit different.                                                                         Some no name 3 day cruise Miami- Bahamas in the 70’s.                                             Dolphin- Hellas.                                                                                                                        Royal Olympic.                                                                                                                           MSC ( really early. Logo on souvenir golf shirt is the freight line one.).                       Pullmantur                                                                                                                               Happy Cruises ( honestly, the ship Gemini formerly Cunard Crown Jewel ).               Croisieres de France.                                                                                                             Now a little quizz— Other than the Gemini, can anyone name the ships I sailed on and where they are now?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Of course, simply meeting expectations is kind of meaningless. 

It is easier for NCL and Carnival to meet my expectations than for the likes of Cunard, Oceania or Azamara which I expect to provide some level of quality.  I have learned to expect fairly little from NCL and Carnival.

• Like 2

I googled "definition of a cruise line" and one definition I found was:

"A cruise line is a company that operates cruise ships that operate on ocean or rivers and which markets cruises to the public. Cruise lines are distinct from passenger lines which are primarily concerned with transportation of passengers. "

With that definition I think that Hurtigruten is not a cruise line. Yes they have some cruises but they are primarily concerned with transportation of passengers. 

Silja Line is harder. Overall they are probably primarily concerned with transportation of passengers, and goods, but for some weeks during the summer and many weekends during the year lots of people also "cruise" with them.

I absolutely agree that everyone can list whatever they want but for me to be able to answer the OPs question I need to know the definition of a cruise line.

21 hours ago, clo said:

Sorry. What I was asking is do you do any travel that doesn't have a cruise as part of it? With that long list it doesn't seem like you would have time.

Well first, you have to understand that I am 77.  I also spent some time in the army, including three years in Germany.  There was a time when there were companies that ran professional group tours to faraway places, and I took tours to Spain, Russia, China, Japan, Asia, India, Brazil, Iceland, Greece, Morocco and maybe some others...  I also did eight Earthwatch Expeditions - volunteer projects, to places including Tonga, Thailand x2, Brazil, Bali, Mongolia, Costa Rica, Nepal.  So yes, I have traveled besides cruising.  EM

• Like 2

This is one of those fascinating self-serving boastful blogs where we can all boast about our cruise experience.  I will sometimes talk about all the cruise lines in our past but only when it is to add some credibility to a post.  But now that this blog has gone off into issues like the Staten Island Ferry it does become fun and amusing.   But the issue of European ferries is more to the point.  So, for example, many years ago DW and I took a large ferry (bigger then many cruise ships) from Brindisi, Italy to Corfu. It was an overnight voyage and we actually booked a small cabin (most on those ferries do not have cabins).  One might argue that we had a cabin, had food,  there was some entertainment on the ship, so it was technically a cruise line (we do not count that kind of thing as a cruise).  More recently (last month) we took several ferries in the Greek Islands.  These were large ships (they hold over 1000 passengers) but we consider them ferries, not cruise lines.  

Just yesterday I was at a retiree luncheon when one of the others asked me how many cruise lines and how many cruises we had taken.  My answer was that DW and I no longer count cruises or cruise lines but will say that we have spent more then 3 years on cruise ships.  Why do we say this?  I have previously posted this true story of when we met an elderly widow lady on a long (62 day) Prinsendam Grand Med cruise.  We had lunch with this lady and she mentioned that the cruise was only her 5th cruise (most on this cruise had lots more experience).  She later explained that her first 4 cruises were all full World Cruises (each over 100 days long).  The entire table had a good laugh about that lady (who was delightful).

Hank

• Like 1