Possible train ride from Seattle to Vancouver

TrixiePixie

33 minutes ago, TrixiePixie said:

Just wondering has anyone taken a train ride from Seattle to Vancouver pre Alaska cruise. I have heard there is beautiful scenery on that trip. If anyone has I’d love to hear details. Thanks Linda

It is a wonderful train trip right along the water for a good portion of the way.  We always use that when we sail from Vancouver - usually do it in 2 stages  Portland to Seattle and the next day Seattle to Vancouver

• Like 1

My wife and I did this exact trip two years ago.  Loved the scenery and the ride.  Only complaint is we are "big" folks so the seats were somewhat small for my taste.  Got a taxi for the jaunt from the Train to ship terminal.  Super easy and convenient.

Planning on doing it again for our Alaskan sampler on Discover May 2022.

2 hours ago, TrixiePixie said:

Just wondering has anyone taken a train ride from Seattle to Vancouver pre Alaska cruise. I have heard there is beautiful scenery on that trip. If anyone has I’d love to hear details. Thanks Linda

Would love to know this too!

We did it a few years ago because our grand kids had passport cards so could not fly in to Canada. They could use the card for train or car.🤔

It is a very easy trip, but it is recommended that you book your tickets ahead of time. When we reached Vancouver we got a shuttle type bus to the cruise port.

Yes, I live in Bellingham near the Canadian border, and for coastal or Alaskan cruises I took the bus or train. Amtrak had twice-daily trips before Covid, and some wonderful views, particularly along Chuckanut Drive before Bellingham and along the English-style resort of White Rock in Canada, where I frequently see bald eagles. The advantage of the train over a bus is that you don't have to get off at the border to process through customs. Going north you go through customs at the station in Vancouver, and going south you get a check getting on the train and then somebody walks through the train checking passports at the US border side.

The other advantage of the train was nice big restrooms, not the horrible bus ones where you're swaying and trying to find a light, and they used to have a dining car you can sit in, which I usually did instead of an assigned seat. Of course, nobody knows what will happen post-Covid and when and if the border opens again. Right now you need a PCR test done withing 72 hours and to use a Canadian app to get across, and BoltBus, which offered frequent, cheap service from Seattle to Vancouver, has stopped service altogether. 

We’ve done it a few times.  We like to take the Coast Starlight up from California.  The train arrives in Seattle around 8 pm and then you are transferred to a Thruway bus for the trip to Vancouver arriving in the wee hours!  Once was enough!  Now we get off in Seattle, spend the night and then head north the next day.  The train arrives in Vancouver around 11am which is much better!

It is a beautiful trip.  Try to sit on the left side of the train for the ocean view.  Business class is available on the train—costs a bit more but you do get priority boarding, bigger/wider seats (more legroom for my 6’5” hubby!) and coupons for drinks/snack bar. Border crossing pretty quick as well.

I know people who have taken the morning train the day of a cruise—I’m not that brave!  We stay one night in Vancouver.

As a WA resident, I agree with everything disneyochem says: it's a lovely ride; do try to purchase Business Class seats; and plan to travel up to Vancouver, BC the day before your cruise.  The best views are on the west side (left).

I will caution you that when you make your reservations, that you are careful that you are buying Amtrak tickets to Vancouver, BC and not Vancouver, WA which also is served by Amtrak.  It's an easy mistake if you are not familiar with the area.

On 9/15/2021 at 7:53 AM, Ferry_Watcher said:

As a WA resident, I agree with everything disneyochem says: it's a lovely ride; do try to purchase Business Class seats; and plan to travel up to Vancouver, BC the day before your cruise.  The best views are on the west side (left).

I will caution you that when you make your reservations, that you are careful that you are buying Amtrak tickets to Vancouver, BC and not Vancouver, WA which also is served by Amtrak.  It's an easy mistake if you are not familiar with the area.

I did that and I live in Seattle! There was an accident on I5 and we rushed to get on the train, to be denied...then to realize it was the train going to Vancouver WA, and the one to Vancouver BC was in an hour...but sold out for months. 😞

1 hour ago, psuboater said:

I did that and I live in Seattle! There was an accident on I5 and we rushed to get on the train, to be denied...then to realize it was the train going to Vancouver WA, and the one to Vancouver BC was in an hour...but sold out for months. 😞

Thanks so much for sharing your story!  I bet it will prevent at least one person from booking the wrong train.  Thanks again!

• Like 1

On 9/16/2021 at 9:10 PM, Dan G said:

may I add that going to Vanc Business class is totally worth it since BC gets off first and allows you to get thru immigration first and gives you better access to the taxi qeue.  Its a great way to get to Vanc and very scenic.

Can you give us an idea of how much the Business Class tickets are, please?  And is luggage storage a problem.  We are following our CA coastal cruise with the 28 day Tahiti cruise so we will have a few (2-3)large suitcases. 

On 9/14/2021 at 6:40 PM, rj59 said:

Yes, I live in Bellingham near the Canadian border, and for coastal or Alaskan cruises I took the bus or train. Amtrak had twice-daily trips before Covid, and some wonderful views, particularly along Chuckanut Drive before Bellingham and along the English-style resort of White Rock in Canada, where I frequently see bald eagles. The advantage of the train over a bus is that you don't have to get off at the border to process through customs. Going north you go through customs at the station in Vancouver, and going south you get a check getting on the train and then somebody walks through the train checking passports at the US border side.

The other advantage of the train was nice big restrooms, not the horrible bus ones where you're swaying and trying to find a light, and they used to have a dining car you can sit in, which I usually did instead of an assigned seat. Of course, nobody knows what will happen post-Covid and when and if the border opens again. Right now you need a PCR test done withing 72 hours and to use a Canadian app to get across, and BoltBus, which offered frequent, cheap service from Seattle to Vancouver, has stopped service altogether. 

Bellingham is so pretty!  My hubby worked there a week every month for 7 years and I frequently traveled with him! White Rock is a cool little town.

amtrak.com

should have pricing but price varies but it used to be as little as $20.  Buying it ahead of time is better.  Each train car has some storage in the back of each car though larger suitcases are normally 'checked'.  In vancouver they line up the luggage in the front of the train so you just grab your case and go thru immigration.  Eazy peazy.

An easier option is just to fly Alaska from Seatac, which is fairly cheap, especially if you have miles. Amtrak often has delays, they stop at every station and they get less priority over other trains, as well as leaving you a taxi ride or skytrain (subway) to the cruise terminal. I think I'd rather spend the extra time exploring Vancouver than sitting on a train, although there's some great scenery in spots. The Vancouver airport also has a direct skytrain to the Waterfront station, right across from the cruise terminal, with a nice food court with a Starbucks and public wifi, or taxis have a flat rate service to downtown

• Like 1

• 1 month later...