THE Big Problem With Cruising as a Canadian Resident Right Now....

Dr. Cocktail

This is an edited version of a post that I just placed on the NCL Boards.

First off , when did this magical, mystical Canadian 🇨🇦 section appear???!!!!

I think that many people are focussing on Vax status and insurance requirements right now.  It's one thing to be allowed to cruise (on paper), it's another to actually get on the plane or drive down to the port.  Insurance is one thing, an entirely unpleasant vacation is another.

I view your pre or post cruise PCR as THE big key to having a good or  disastrous vacation.

If you fail either, you are still unable to return to Canada for 14 days from the day of your test result. Vaccination has NOT changed the entry requirements!!!

If you wanted to look at a nightmare scenario, let's say that your debarkation PCR is positive ... while NCL for example,  will handle the details (and with your insurance company, work out the $$$),  other cruise lines will not and you are now stuck wherever you are for 14 days until you can return home.

But it gets worse .... your travelling companion/kids/spouse who tested negative will require a test within 72 hours of the return to Canada. What if one of them fails? ANOTHER 14 days!!!

The ONLY (yeah, I know I'm using a lot of caps here!) way to escape Dodge as quickly as possible is if one of you tests positive, the other would have to take a DAILY rapid test to make sure that they also didn't convert. If they did, they would then need to go for a PCR so they could start their 14 day countdown.

What a spectacle de poo (for our bilingual friends ....)

In other words, for the average Canadian flying down to the States for a cruise,  it's still a pretty big risk.

Oh, and have I mentioned that the Government of Canada still has a pretty strict "Do Not Cruise" edict?

Off for another glass of wine .....

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

My only concern is that I test negative so that I can board the plane to Fort Lauderdale in December.  I have B2B cruises booked on the Eurodam,,,, 10 day Panama Canal Sunfarer and 7 day Tropical Caribbean. I fly on a Saturday afternoon to embark on Sunday.   I can get the Rapid Test on the Friday or Saturday morning from Shoppers.   

Given HALs COVID Protection Program that is in place for cruises until 31 Dec 2021 (although this has been extended), I can’t see a reason why I wouldn’t go.  

My PCC has told me that HAL will provide a PCR test for me so I can travel back to Canada.   If I am positive, well, guess I’m hanging out in a hotel for 14 days at HALs expense.   I’m a solo cruiser and retired so I don’t have to worry about travel companions/family members testing positive, and I don’t a job to be back to.  I don’t care if I have to pay for the PCR test, just need for it to be available.

During the first cruise, if I find that it sucks because of protocols (which I will follow of course), I can cancel the 2nd cruise right up until departure as I got the Platinum insurance for both.  

I look at it this way when dealing with all these changes and hoops to jump through, I could wait until things are back to normal,,, but that may not happen anytime soon if at all, and I may never get to go if I put it off.   

• Like 4

I do agree with your rant.

In the summer i was so excited to be able to cruise. I booked 3 cruises (1 in December, 2 next summer).

And then when I found out I couldnt' cruise I cancelled the December one.

I guess the question is when will we no longer have to test. Until that goes away it doesn't matter if we cruise, go to Disney World, or anything else.

If we test positive we're stuck out of the country.

I'm going to sound very negative and say that if we can't get a handle on the unvaccinated people causing stress on the health care system, we are going to be in this situation for a long while.

Which really means we are all taking a chance when we try to leave the country.

Oh and to add to my rant... I am a teacher and we already have 2 cases at my school.  So staying home hasnt' really kept me safe 😞

@K-_e_short out of curiosity, are the 2 cases at your school unvaccinated kids or vaccinated teachers?

Being stuck out of the country wouldn't be such a big deal if insurance companies were including quarantine coverage, especially since not all cruise lines are taking care of their passengers if they have to quarantine. Manulife only includes it for trips 31 days and longer. Blue Cross now covers cruises but medical costs only, not the cost of quarantine. Tugo's website says they include quarantine costs but doesn't specify if there's a minimum trip duration. I'm debating on bringing my laptop so I can still work if, god forbid, my husband or I tests positive at the end of our upcoming cruise. 

I have coverage for quarantine but don't have the ability to take time off work if that happens.

I can only travel Christmas and March Break which means an extra two weeks is two weeks without pay.

Oh and the cases are both vaccinated. Mild symptoms. The only reason they got tested is because you have to if you have symptoms. 

My point is people will test positive. It just is unfortunate when it happens to enter back in the country. Any one of us can test positive from things we do on an every day basis.  It just puts a lot of stress on worrying about the "what ifs?"

• Like 1

My name is Germain. I'm from Québec and still have these FCC's to use and cannot make a decision at the moment on when to use or book my future cruise.

Canadian govt makes things so difficult that a lot of us I suppose are basically waiting for this category 4 to be lifted !

Hopefully sooner than later !

Germain 

• Like 2

The

37 minutes ago, K_e_short said:

Oh and the cases are both vaccinated. Mild symptoms. The only reason they got tested is because you have to if you have symptoms. 

My point is people will test positive. It just is unfortunate when it happens to enter back in the country. Any one of us can test positive from things we do on an every day basis.  It just puts a lot of stress on worrying about the "what ifs?"

The science on this is changing on a daily basis but today's thinking seems to lean toward the fact that breakthrough Covid patients are infectious for one week or less. The 14 day quarantine is quite excessive. 

While I personally wouldn't want to be stuck on a plane sitting next to someone who was confirmed to be positive,  driving back in a car and arriving back to Canada and quarantining would be a reasonable answer.

The odds of getting infected on a ship (and especially on one owned by NCLHI!) are extremely low. But as you perfectly stated, it's not much of a vaycay if I'm dreading my departure test!

• Thanks 1

From what I understand, if you get COVID and then recover, you can still test positive for up to three months.   So if that is the case, you need to have a doctors note verifying that you had it and recovered and are good to travel.  This is in the CSO but I don’t know if the cruiselines are allowing it.

Some people are asymptomatic so in theory, some people may have had it and not known it.   Especially if they are like me where you don’t have alot of contact with others but still possible to get it.

So my plan is to have a test approx 2 weeks before my trip to make sure that I am negative and then basically self quarantine for two weeks prior.   Then I shouldn’t get any surprises when I go for the Rapid Antigen test the day I fly out.   

• Like 2

Have to agree with Dr. Cocktail.  This is why I have cancelled all our cruises except for one in 2023 and that one will go too if testing is required.  Just too much of a hassle and worry about finding a testing clinic for the correct test, or facing a quarantine in a foreign country if tests show positive.  

we are 100% vaxxed with Pfizer but my understanding is that we can still harbour virus  if exposed even tho being asymptomatic.  

we might consider a Vancouver to Vancouver cruise because even tho we test positive on return at least we can quarantine at home.  

• Like 2

19 hours ago, K_e_short said:

In the summer i was so excited to be able to cruise. I booked 3 cruises (1 in December, 2 next summer).

I guess the question is when will we no longer have to test. Until that goes away it doesn't matter if we cruise, go to Disney World, or anything else.

I'm going to sound very negative and say that if we can't get a handle on the unvaccinated people causing stress on the health care system, we are going to be in this situation for a long while.

Oh and to add to my rant... I am a teacher and we already have 2 cases at my school.  So staying home hasnt' really kept me safe 😞

My husband and I have made the decision not to cruise or do all inclusive holidays for a while, as we don't want to risk plane travel or have to worry about securing insurance, getting tested, being stuck in another country, etc., etc.  The list of concerns is endless; we just can't justify that kind of travel right now. 

However, I am a retired teacher and fully understand how important getting away is.  I used to be stuck traveling only during holidays, as you are.  I also used to enjoy substitute teaching a lot after retirement, but it is too scary to do so now.  Our Saskatchewan schools are exploding with cases already (school's been open a week).  There is still no provincial indoor mask mandate, so some schools have masked students and others don't.  Students in classrooms with an infected person can also return to school right away.  It's bizarre!

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, ehogan said:

we might consider a Vancouver to Vancouver cruise because even tho we test positive on return at least we can quarantine at home.

For those concerned about facing quarantine in the US or other foreign country before being allowed to return to Canada, a cruise ending in Canada is a great option, particularly if you live within driving distance from the port of disembarkation. If you test positive, you need to self-isolate, but you can do so at home as long as the drive home doesn't involve public transportation.

While a Vancouver to Vancouver cruise would be an option, don't overlook Pacific coast or Hawaiian cruises finishing in Vancouver. On the East coast, there are cruises terminating in Montreal and Québec that would be ideal. A few years ago, we drove to Montreal and flew to Boston for embarkation. We debarked in Montreal, took a taxi to the airport to pick up our car, then drove home. If we were to repeat that trip now, the only difference would be that we would leave the car at the cruise port and take the taxi to the airport pre cruise. That way, we wouldn't have to use public transportation should we test positive before debarking.

All of this, of course, assumes that there is no further restriction placed on cruises in Canadian waters!

• Like 2

This is on Princess

1. Can I book my own hotel if I am required to quarantine post-disembarkation before returning home? 
    Hotel accommodations will be arranged by Princess with one of our contracted hotel partners. Should you select a different hotel, you will be reimbursed only for the amount of the contracted hotel rate. Any incidental charges, costs related to room upgrades and additional room nights in excess of what is provided by Princess, requested or arranged by you, is your responsibility. Princess will provide hotel accommodations until a medical professional clears you to travel home.

I don’t get it because it also says this,

UPDATED: If my home country requires proof of a negative COVID-19 test result for re-entry following my cruise, will Princess administer and cover the cost of the test?

Yes, if a negative COVID-19 test is required for re-entry into your home country, Princess will cover the costs of a COVID-19 test administered within the timeframe required prior to travel.

Guests should disembark the ship, collect their luggage, clear customs and exit the terminal for testing. COVID-19 tests will be administered just outside the terminal. Antigen test results will be available in approximately 30 minutes and PCR test results will be available in approximately 60 minutes; please plan your post-cruise travel arrangements accordingly.

They make you leave the ship and customs then give you a test. Now that your off the ship would they still pay for your quarantine hotel etc…

44 minutes ago, traceytd said:

This is on Princess

1. Can I book my own hotel if I am required to quarantine post-disembarkation before returning home? 
    Hotel accommodations will be arranged by Princess with one of our contracted hotel partners. Should you select a different hotel, you will be reimbursed only for the amount of the contracted hotel rate. Any incidental charges, costs related to room upgrades and additional room nights in excess of what is provided by Princess, requested or arranged by you, is your responsibility. Princess will provide hotel accommodations until a medical professional clears you to travel home.

I don’t get it because it also says this,

UPDATED: If my home country requires proof of a negative COVID-19 test result for re-entry following my cruise, will Princess administer and cover the cost of the test?

Yes, if a negative COVID-19 test is required for re-entry into your home country, Princess will cover the costs of a COVID-19 test administered within the timeframe required prior to travel.

Guests should disembark the ship, collect their luggage, clear customs and exit the terminal for testing. COVID-19 tests will be administered just outside the terminal. Antigen test results will be available in approximately 30 minutes and PCR test results will be available in approximately 60 minutes; please plan your post-cruise travel arrangements accordingly.

They make you leave the ship and customs then give you a test. Now that your off the ship would they still pay for your quarantine hotel etc…

You would still be dealing with Princess at the test site, even if off the ship. I would assume that if you tested positive, the necessary arrangements would either be made by personnel at the test site, or that they would refer you to a Princess employee who would be responsible for the necessary coordination.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fouremco said:

You would still be dealing with Princess at the test site, even if off the ship. I would assume that if you tested positive, the necessary arrangements would either be made by personnel at the test site, or that they would refer you to a Princess employee who would be responsible for the necessary coordination.

i hope your right 🙂

On 9/14/2021 at 8:12 PM, K_e_short said:

I have coverage for quarantine but don't have the ability to take time off work if that happens.

I can only travel Christmas and March Break which means an extra two weeks is two weeks without pay.

@K_e_short can you not just take your lap top with you and Zoom to class? We have a friend that has been teaching via zoom since January while living in Mexico. He is doing it for an Ontario school board too.

I saw someone this morning on the Promenade in a Zoom or Teams meeting. I should have brought my laptop and worked remotely without using any vacation time.

Edited by Magicat
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Magicat said:

@K_e_short can you not just take your lap top with you and Zoom to class? We have a friend that has been teaching via zoom since January while living in Mexico. He is doing it for an Ontario school board too.

I saw someone this morning on the Promenade in a Zoom or Teams meeting. I should have brought my laptop and worked remotely without using any vacation time.

I wish.

I am not designated to teach online. In my board only specific teachers are teaching the online classes.

Now had I known that schools were going to be shut down March to June 2020 I would have gone to Mexico because then I could have been stuck in Mexico/stuck in isolation at home. I also could have gone away April break since we never went back to school....

• Like 1

On 9/14/2021 at 8:33 PM, K_e_short said:

Technically, I don't believe that's correct, at least not according to the ArriveCan site. If we answer the few questions they ask to determine one's ability to enter Canada, having tested positive doesn't factor in, they are only concerned with whether you are showing symptoms. The problem is the ability to FLY commercially back to Canada, which most of us would want to do. If you have other options, such as driving, then you can re-enter, though quarantining at home would presumably be required. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, lx200gps said:

Technically, I don't believe that's correct, at least not according to the ArriveCan site. If we answer the few questions they ask to determine one's ability to enter Canada, having tested positive doesn't factor in, they are only concerned with whether you are showing symptoms. The problem is the ability to FLY commercially back to Canada, which most of us would want to do. If you have other options, such as driving, then you can re-enter, though quarantining at home would presumably be required. 

Land border is closed. So you can't drive TO the port.

So let me expand.

You are stuck in a foreign country unless you can get a car rental and drive home.

21 minutes ago, K_e_short said:

Land border is closed. So you can't drive TO the port.

So let me expand.

You are stuck in a foreign country unless you can get a car rental and drive home.

I thought that's what I had said. Getting TO the ship isn't an issue, since if we test positive before leaving for the cruise we are still at home. If we test + AFTER the cruise, then yes, we have to drive home, which thousands of snowbirds do every year.  I've been researching it in the VERY remote chance we would test + after our November trip, and there lots of possibilities for one-way car rentals, at least from Florida back to Canada.  Technically, right now it would even be possible to fly inside the US to near a border crossing then drive a short distance back over the border, though I'm not sure you would want to fly COVID + even if the US allowed it. Right now, I don't believe they require negative test results to fly internally, only internationally. All this assumes that one is completely asymptomatic, which is what Arrive Can requires. If you have any symptoms, then you're quarantining in place in a US hotel at the expense of the cruise line.

Edited by lx200gps

On 9/14/2021 at 4:47 PM, Evilmuffin said:

My only concern is that I test negative so that I can board the plane to Fort Lauderdale in December.  I have B2B cruises booked on the Eurodam,,,, 10 day Panama Canal Sunfarer and 7 day Tropical Caribbean. I fly on a Saturday afternoon to embark on Sunday.   I can get the Rapid Test on the Friday or Saturday morning from Shoppers.   

Given HALs COVID Protection Program that is in place for cruises until 31 Dec 2021 (although this has been extended), I can’t see a reason why I wouldn’t go.  

My PCC has told me that HAL will provide a PCR test for me so I can travel back to Canada.   If I am positive, well, guess I’m hanging out in a hotel for 14 days at HALs expense.   I’m a solo cruiser and retired so I don’t have to worry about travel companions/family members testing positive, and I don’t a job to be back to.  I don’t care if I have to pay for the PCR test, just need for it to be available.

Could you give me an idea of how you know that HAL would pay for a 14 day quarantine if one were to test positive on disembarkation and not be able to fly home immediately? This is a huge question without Covid insurance which we are unable to purchase in BC.

26 minutes ago, SilvertoGold said:

Could you give me an idea of how you know that HAL would pay for a 14 day quarantine if one were to test positive on disembarkation and not be able to fly home immediately? This is a huge question without Covid insurance which we are unable to purchase in BC.

Can't speak to HAL, but their sister line Princess clearly states on their website that they will cover expenses if you test + after the cruise and even assist with arrangements, etc. Their coverage is limited, of course, to a certain value, so if you decide to quarantine in a $1000 per night beachfront hotel, they may not cover all of that ;o). I would hope that HAL will match Princess's coverage

37 minutes ago, SilvertoGold said:

Perhaps I read this wrong but it’s on their website:

E7DD1582-F0ED-46B9-9DA2-F34861848846.png