I'm pretty sure the dress code has changed

lissie

Looking at  this page https://www.cunard.com/en-au/the-cunard-experience/what-to-pack - I'm sure the dress code has changed e.g. 

Smart Attire evenings, I quote: 

Smart attire simply means a dress shirt and trousers, skirt and a top, or a cocktail dress.

i.e. no mention of  jacket or tie.  The Gala evenings are still "black tie dress code" without further elaboration of what that means 

I know that's the Australian link - but I  dug out a VPN and found the same pages on the US and GB sites. 

45 minutes ago, foodsvcmgr said:

Sadly, if accurate, this will be one of many things in the cruise industry and elsewhere that will somehow be attributed to COVID, yet in fact have nothing to do with COVID at all.

I'm just quoting what is on the website so I guess that's as accurate as it gets. 

It wouldn't make me sad frankly because it would  make it much easier to pack for a trip which involves hauling bags around the world - my partner would only need one suit and a 2nd pair for business trousers.  Others can dress as they wish 

Edited by lissie
  • Like 2

Ah yes, @lissie. That particular verbiage on the "What to pack" page has been the subject of some discussion here before. Here is one of my posts about it from this past June on a "How would I fit in on Cunard?" thread.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2786760-how-would-i-fit-in-on-cunard/page/6/?tab=comments#comment-61357782

To your point about whether the Smart Attire dress code has changed for good, my understanding is all of QE's "Staycation" cruises so far have been operating under the "jacket optional" dress code on the Smart Attire evenings.

Perhaps more to the point, the dress code definitions were just updated yesterday on Cunard's FAQ for travel agents in answer to the question "What will the dress code be whilst I am on board?" Here's a quote from that answer (emphasis mine).

"Smart Attire: Gentlemen, every night we request you wear trousers with a collared shirt; jacket is optional. Ladies, blouses and skirts or stylish trousers and dresses are welcome."

"Gala Evenings: It’s Showtime.  Dinner jacket, tuxedo, or dark suit for the men with a regular tie or bow tie. Evening or cocktail dress, smart trouser suit, or formal separates for the ladies please."

On the other hand, the answer to the question "Is there a dress code on board?" in that same FAQ has not been updated. That answer still reads as follows (again, emphasis mine).

"Gala:
On Gala nights it’s dinner jacket, tuxedo, or dark suit for the men with a regular tie or bow tie. Evening or cocktail dress, smart trouser suit, or formal separates for the ladies please."

"Smart Attire:
Gentlemen, every night we request you wear smart trousers with a shirt and jacket; tie is optional. Ladies, blouses and skirts or stylish trousers and dresses are welcome."

It may be a bit soon to say whether this is a permanent change to the Smart Attire dress code. We may need to wait until we learn more about the cruises after QE's "Staycation" cruises to make an accurate assessment.

I'll weigh in though by saying it's looking more and more likely this is the new Smart Attire dress code. Prior to the pause in operations, it had been "jacket optional" on embarkation days for QV in the Mediterranean, then it was "jacket optional" on QE Australia itineraries and some of the days on Alaska itineraries. @Bell Boy did alert us to this possibility in his "Slippery Slope for QE and the rest of the fleet." thread from December 2019.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2714739-slippery-slope-for-qe-and-the-rest-of-the-fleet/

• Like 3

Thanks for the clarification @bluemarble - this change could save us a fortune next year. Its looking increasingly unlikely that our July cruise will happen, so we will likely fly to Europe and travel overland independently for 6 weeks or so before cruising back from Barcelona. If  my partner only needs a couple of shirts and one suit then he can buy those in Barcelona  and save hundreds avoiding shipping a bag to the port. 

• Like 1

I loved when we cruised and you had jacket and tie nights and formal nights on P&O they only have formal nights and casual nights now that was one of my main reasons for trying Cunard as they were so formal so I would be disappointed if they "go down the slippery slope"

I understand many people want to go casual but many like the formality

I just wished Cunard would keep  one ship e.g Queen Victoria more formal and other cruise lines keep one ship formal then that would please most people ????

• Like 2

Having just come off one of the QE Staycation cruises - the dress code had definitely changed for this cruise with jackets optional except for the gala night.  However I didn't really notice any difference in the levels of glamour from previous cruises and all our male party wore jackets every night. Women were equally dressed up with lots of sparkle as usual.

• Like 2

It had certainly changed on our Sun Voyage cruise in August with some people on the first night unable to even manage to reach the already low bar - A lot of polo shirts, and even long sleeved t-shirts. It got better the further into the cruise we went, but still not brilliant. I hope it's temporary and only for these staycation cruises, that and anytime dining for the second sitting, but I fear it's not. These are the two thing that would stop me cruising with Cunard if removed.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, elmsliebev said:

"Its looking increasingly unlikely that our July cruise will happen"

- do you know something we don't Lissie, or is this purely from your personal requirements? I'll be very sad if the cruise doesn't happen!   

I was talking to my TA today.  Currently all Cunard ships are close to "home" ie UK. For the QE to do the trip from west coast USA to Europe the ship would have to be in Vancouver first. To be in Vancouver it must have done an Alaskan season - its not a very long season, it  would be long way to go for like 6 weeks cruising. Before that it would normally do a Japan season.  QE is currently due to depart the UK in Feb to relocate to Japan.

How likely is it that Cunard will send the QE off to Japan in about 6 months time.   They will need to be confident that they a) get guests on board  b) at least stop off in some of the itinerary  e.g. https://www.cunard.com/en-au/find-a-cruise/Q209K/Q209K  Plus of course the  confidence that they will be able to homeport in Japan for the season.   

Looking at Delta taking out previously well-managed countries like Australia, NZ, Vietnam and Singapore I'm not at all sure  if it will happen - tis seems like an awful lot of "what ifs" for Cunard too - particularly if they can make money just putting around the Med and Europe. 

We have a personal issue that is questionable whether my partner can get travel insurance for the US because of pre-existing health issues - and at the moment we can't get any travel insurance for anywhere because the whole world is on a "do not travel" notice from the NZ government. I think that will resolve by early 2022 - but again - until it actually happens.... 

I'd give  it 50/50 at the moment  I was confident enough to get the TA to re-book both cruises as fares have dropped substantially - but not enough to actually book any airfares 

Edited by lissie

thanks Lissie, good to get a point of view from NZ. I'm cautiously optimistic but will wait and see before booking any trips from the ship (mainly a seaplane trip in Alaska). The fares haven't dropped from the UK! We don't have to pay any more till next year, so we'll just have to wait and see.  

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, elmsliebev said:

thanks Lissie, good to get a point of view from NZ. I'm cautiously optimistic but will wait and see before booking any trips from the ship (mainly a seaplane trip in Alaska). The fares haven't dropped from the UK! We don't have to pay any more till next year, so we'll just have to wait and see.  

Yes we can cancel up until January for minimal cost and don't have to pay more until April - so there is time to see  which way this one goes - fingers crossed I'd say! 

• Like 1

A real shame if this is how it looks. We book Cunard for a formal ambience, and not just on formal nights. People's observations of polo shirts etc. on the staycation voyages show quite clearly that not requiring a jacket is interpreted by many as a strong statement that informality is the order of the day.

• Like 4

I’m watching this thread carefully, and assume that as information becomes available people will post. I just cleaned out my closet, got rid of 6 cocktail dresses and a formal. Time to start shopping! My husband needs to buy a tux and how we do that will depend upon how many times he will wear it. Thanks to all in advance. P.S. - Ladies keep posting the pictures of your beautiful gowns!

On 9/15/2021 at 5:07 AM, elmsliebev said:

"Its looking increasingly unlikely that our July cruise will happen"

- do you know something we don't Lissie, or is this purely from your personal requirements? I'll be very sad if the cruise doesn't happen!   

I am booked on the Fort Lauderdale to Barcelona (August) leg of this on QE... so I am certainly hopeful that it will indeed happen.

If not it will be back to the drawing boards for us as we are trying to plan for a big anniversary.

I am a fan of the Cunard dress code.

We, personally, love it and will continue to participate in it and advocate for it- as do many Cunarders.

So although we (coming from the States) absolutely have weight limits to deal with on luggage for flights, we made it work before... and will again. It is worth it for us for the Cunard experience.

I've been looking at pictures from different online groups about the staycations... and specifically some people talking about the dress code on the staycations. Many have said the Gala night standards are very high and well done... but there are some Cunarders unhappy on the "smart" nights. I'm sure, since Cunarders are a loyal bunch to the brand and to its special and unique atmosphere compared to other brands, they are making their opinions known to the management.

Who knows how it will be once regular travel begins again. Some in the online groups certainly hope that the dress code goes back to jackets on "smart" nights (in 2019 on our voyage to Norway there was not a tie requirement on the "smart" nights...just the jacket for the guys.)

So

It seems to me that it could go either way at this point.

Regardless... I'm still trying to cross my fingers and toes that the voyage will happen.

Again

Who knows.
It has been such a crazy time.

• Like 1

I am sure if you read through these postings you will read that it looks like most Cunard people would advocate keeping the dress code 

We still try on other ships but alas it seems to have as they say "gone with the wind"

Ball gowns and kilt at the ready for formal nights

Jacket and ties for informal

• Like 4

On 9/17/2021 at 10:55 AM, ovccruiser said:

When I first started cruising with Cunard in 2004, there were 3 dress codes, formal, smart casual and casual. Smart casual, men wore jacket and tie and casual was without tie. I still stick to these rules, old habits die hard with me 😄

I just went back to find such information on our first Cunard trip in 2010 (QM2 TA immediately following the Iceland volcano episode...that's a story for another time), but it wasn't in my electronic files. Undoubtedly, I have a hard copy filed somewhere, but I'm too lazy today to go find it. I did find the electronic record for out 2011 QV trip. Evening dress codes were listed as formal (dark suit, tuxedo, dinner jacket), semiformal (jacket and tie), and elegant casual (jacket, no tie required).

I certainly hope the dress code does not change.  There are lots of cruise lines where nearly anything goes for those who don't like dressing for dinner.  We enjoy a chance to dress for the evening.  It will be a nice change after these pandemic years.  Even all our children and grandsons--millennials and younger--find it great fun.  We are taking them on another cruise next summer; did QM2 in 2019 and QE next in 2022, and they are already planning.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

Let's all just be happy to be cruising again

I think we can be happy to be cruising again without ‘just’ being happy with whatever is offered. All of us cruise for different reasons, but many of us enjoy Cunard for the formality. It may be different for you but there are changes that would make us far less excited to return to cruising.