Question about pré cruise testing

chelseabelsea

1 hour ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

Not really, you just have to coordinate testing, probably multiple times.

But you've got me thinking.  Assuming things don't change drastically by next summer (an we all know they probably will), we will have to get tested to fly to Denmark from Canada, then test again in Copenhagen before we board the ship.  Hmm.  This does get complicated.

Wendy - Yes, it does seem to be really complicated, and there are lots of different scenarios and permutations for what each one of us has to do, for each upcoming itinerary, depending upon where each of us is traveling/coming from, where each of us is heading to (to board the ship), what method of travel is being used and how long it will take to get there, and whether we'll be arriving "how many days in advance" of each cruise commencing.  Sheesh!  All those things can make a difference!

I am hoping that Regent can/will "personalize and tailor" testing and pre-cruise instructions for each passenger on each ship/cruise and send that guidance to each of us (maybe via our TA if we have one) with enough advance time for us to "sort things out" and actually arrange to carry out all the instructions/testing necessary before we actually "show up" for each cruise.  I can easily see how some people/groups could potentially/actually be denied boarding on cruise day for not having "followed all the rules" correctly.  I wish things didn't have to be so complicated!

Am I over-dramatizing the situation?  Will things really "not be as complicated" as they seem to be at the moment?  Here's hoping!  Regards.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Pcardad said:

It sounds like within 3 days of getting on the ship AND prior to leaving home.

Gone are the days of leaving for the cruise 2 weeks early?

The test?  Or the result?  Because it can take 48 hours to get the results of a PCR test.  So this is what I am asking.  Do they want you to take the test 72 hours before you get on the ship?  Or do they want you to have your test result 72 hours before you get on the ship?

16 minutes ago, ysolde said:

The test?  Or the result?  Because it can take 48 hours to get the results of a PCR test.  So this is what I am asking.  Do they want you to take the test 72 hours before you get on the ship?  Or do they want you to have your test result 72 hours before you get on the ship?

Hopefully Regent will tell us...

21 minutes ago, ysolde said:

Don't believe there is any way to have the requirement to have the test results a specific amount of time before boarding as the time to get the results is fluid and nobody will guarantee results at a specific time.

So believe any and all of the required times are for taking the test as that is controllable while the results time is not controllable.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Pcardad said:

So take the test 3 days before you leave on your trip or within 3 days of getting on board the ship?

Depends on who you are getting the test for.  Might be both if you need a test to get on the plane or enter the country if you will start traveling prior to goting directly to the ship.

Have to calculate both or all situations and see if there is a sweet spot that covers all requirements.  Each traveler will have different situations depending on their travel plans and the requirements for where they are traveling.

Definitely not one size fits all unless the travels are identical or close to identical depending on all requirements being able to be satisfied by a single test.

Edited by rallydave

1 minute ago, rallydave said:

Depends on who you are getting the test for.  Might be both if you need a test to get on the plane or enter the country if you will start traveling prior to goting directly to the ship.

Have to calculate both or all situations and see if there is a sweet spot that covers all requirements.  Each traveler will have different situations depending on their travel plans and the requirements for where they are traveling.

That's great...as long as Regent clearly states their rules as does their contracted health agent and as does your insurance agent. 

ysolde et al:  

And Jennefer, whom we assume continues to monitor this Thread.  

Have been closely following this Thread because we have a vested interest. That interest is to hopefully be at Barcelona on the afternoon of October 30th, having left SEATAC on October 29th; and an overnight stay at Regent's designated hotel prior to boarding Explorer on October 31 for TA to Miami.  

This itinerary is important as to timing.  Specifically:  prior Posts #37; and Jennefer's Posts Nos. #53 and #60.  As to where we are Now, and not 20-days from now:  

Jennefer:  Every word in your Posts is relevant.  Your Post #60, Line 7.  The key word is ". .  . result within three days of traveling from home. . ."   AGAIN--use of word result.  

At this point, our plan is to obtain a PCR test from Evergreen Hospital's (where my wife worked as a R.N. for 20+ years) Redmond, WA Clinic on Monday, October 25th.  The Clinic has advised that it takes from 48 to 72 hours to obtain "results" from taking that PCR test.  Again, that key word:  Result.  

The last-thing we want to experience is waiting with baited breath on Friday morning--October 29th--to get test results.  Because, we will be heading to SEATAC Airport for our early afternoon departure via Lufthansa for a Red-Eye to Frankfort.  (Hence- short hop Frankfort flight on October 30th to Barcelona. BTW:  these are Regent-arranged flights.  

That is the reason our plan is to get tested at that Hospital Clinic on MONDAY, October 25th.   

Would appreciate your response as to whether our Time Line meets Regent's standards.  As a back-up, we have obtained Insurance to cover a Worst-Case situation at that Barcelona Pier.  

Awaiting your response. 

GOARMY!

(Redmond, WA)

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Pcardad said:

That's great...as long as Regent clearly states their rules as does their contracted health agent and as does your insurance agent

As well as any flight or country requirements.  Lots of beurocracy to satisfy.  Not an easy task especially when one or more change the requirements and you calculation no longer wors.

Its lie trying to solve 2 equations with 5 or 6 unknowns and the math requirements are changed mid stream.  Don't have any real answers without specific requirements and know those pulling hens teeth.

4 minutes ago, GOARMY said:

Jennefer:  Every word in your Posts is relevant.  Your Post #60, Line 7.  The key word is ". .  . result within three days of traveling from home. . ."   AGAIN--use of word result.  

er way the manage this.  Don't the authrities want to know your halth on the day you took the test and not the day the results were available.  Seems a simple concept being misused.

Someone could theoretically take the test on say October 10 when the boarding date is say October 20 17 and just ask the the testing lab to not process the test until October 17 completion date with the person contracting the COVID on October 15.  Too many issues with use of receipt of test results.

Not cruise related but travel related; I want to take advantage of the knowledge here and the Canadians participating on this thread.

With respect to previous post, Canada requires testing within 72 hours of departure time of your actual flight that lands in Canada.  You could be traveling for a while but it is that plane that takes off for Canada that matters.  Test needs to be PCR or NAAT.  Normal one to two day processing of PCR tests is now two to four days in many cases; regardless, no guarantees provided.  No getting around reporting time as the clock is based on sample collection time. 

Anyone else having this problem in scheduling PCR tests?  Any work arounds?

thanks,

Marc

22 minutes ago, mrlevin said:

Not cruise related but travel related; I want to take advantage of the knowledge here and the Canadians participating on this thread.

With respect to previous post, Canada requires testing within 72 hours of departure time of your actual flight that lands in Canada.  You could be traveling for a while but it is that plane that takes off for Canada that matters.  Test needs to be PCR or NAAT.  Normal one to two day processing of PCR tests is now two to four days in many cases; regardless, no guarantees provided.  No getting around reporting time as the clock is based on sample collection time. 

thanks,

Marc

So I presume you're going to Churchill to see the polar bears?

Not sure since I haven't personally done this (I'm still in self-imposed exile in Canada), but I have many snowbird contacts on Facebook, and the best bet is to find a drugstore locally that can provide the test, and email you the result.  I will ask online about the timing--there's the "ArrivaCan" app to consider as well.  Having data on your phone so you can receive results and emails seems to be vital.  Will report if I find anything of substance.

(Okay, I have asked the question online, will summarize the responses I get here, or I can email you directly if I have your address, which I probably do, somewhere.)

And here's this: https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/diseases/coronavirus-disease-covid-19/arrivecan.html

Edited by Wendy The Wanderer
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, mrlevin said:Test needs to be PCR or NAAT.  Normal one to two day processing of PCR tests is now two to four days in many cases; regardless, no guarantees provided.  No getting around reporting time as the clock is based on sample collection time. 

thanks,

Marc

Marc, 

For our trip to Iceland in August we were able to get a NAAT test at a nearby CVS with a 30-minute turn around time. They billed our insurance and there was no cost to us. Most CVS locations don’t offer this but a few do. Since you live in a metro area, there May be one within a 30 min drive. On the CVS website check the Rapid Result box. Most of these are Antigen tests but if any of the Rapid NAAT  locations are within your search radius, they should show up. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As stated, things can and will change as we get closer to our cruise.  But I just located testing sites at the airport ( international terminal) that we fly out of (DFW)  They are guaranteeing results in 60 minutes.

Now will wait til closer to departure and double check the requirements with what is available.

.....and one more question concerning testing time frame before leaving home.  We are flying out on a Wednesday one week prior to boarding.   There don't seem to be testing sites open on Sunday which would be the 72 hour window.   Our cruise departs on a Wednesday, as well.  Again, we would have to search for a testing site that's open on a Sunday.  Do we negate the terms if we test on a Saturday or a Monday?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mrlevin said:

thanks,

Marc

I would like to provide a little more detail about the required PCR test for travel to Canada.  We just returned from a 12 day trip on the Rocky Mountaineer train in and out of Vancouver.  My understanding of the 72 hour requirement is that it is calculated from the scheduled departure time for the final leg to Canada.  If your flight is delayed or changed they will still accept your test if it met the original 72 hour requirement.  Interestingly, the return to US rapid test requirement gives you an extra day (within 3 days prior to date of entry).   At least my understanding...FWIW: Jack in Reno

• Thanks 1

Hi everyone, a few answers to your questions on this thread.... 

@pingpon1 – yes, we are personalizing and tailoring pre-cruise instructions for guests and communicating those out a few weeks before the cruise.

@GOARMY - As it relates to the timing of the test, many countries/airlines require you to take a test within 72 hours of boarding your flight. For those countries/airlines that do not, we strongly encourage you to do so, and proof of a negative test taken within three days of your flight to the ship is required if you wish for us to reimburse you for expenses incurred between the ship and home, assuming your insurance denies your claim. So in your specific example, your test would need to be scheduled for October 26th, three days prior to you October 29th flight. For our purposes, note that a PCR test that can take up to 72 hours to receive results is not necessary, you may take a different type of test that yields results more rapidly.

Let us know if you have additional questions. 

Jennefer 

Jennefer Teegen | Director of Guest Experience and Loyalty
P: +1 954.940.7217 | 😄 352.870.8279

jteegen@rssc.com| www.rssc.com

Regent Seven Seas Cruises

7300 Corporate Drive, Miami  FL 33126

• Thanks 3

Just disembarked Splendor in Barcelona. When we boarded in London, two swabs were taken. I was told if the antigen test came up positive, the second swab was for pcr test. Everyone was tested again prior to arrival in Portugal and yet again the day prior to Barcelona. We were told that either antigen or pcr test would be provided depending on travel home requirements. Testing was performed by Eurofins, and there were no positive test results as far as I know.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I want to thank everybody on this thread.  It has been very useful.  Special thanks to Jennifer.  This has to be hard for the company after 18 months of inactivity and now super intense activity.  We board Explorer on the 23rd , but arrive in Rome on the 19th, joining the pre-cruise group on the 20th.  We will have a prc test on Saturday the 16th paying for a 16 hour turnaround.  If something goes wrong getting results on time, we still have a chance for an antigen test on the 17th.  I do wonder how the pre-cruise timeline affects the 3 days prior to boarding rule if we somehow got a positive test at the pier.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 10/6/2021 at 3:59 PM, wcsdkqh said:

We were told that either antigen or pcr test would be provided depending on travel home requirements.

Sorry for resurrecting this thread...

We are planning an extra day after a cruise in Lisbon.

We will be flying back to Canada which means a PCR test is required.

Would that work timing wise with regards to the test? I.e. can we schedule our on-board PCR test to the last possible appointment with perhaps an additional fee on top of what it currently cost?

Looking for confirmation that I am ok or a redirection if needed.

We board Splendour in Miami on 17 December; boarding time is 1230.

I have scheduled antigen tests for 14 December at 1530, 69 hours before boarding.  Except for fact that antigen tests could have higher false positive (or false negative) than PCR test, is there any reason that I should try to schedule PCR test instead of keeping with antigen tests?

thanks,

Marc

8 minutes ago, mrlevin said:

Looking for confirmation that I am ok or a redirection if needed.

We board Splendour in Miami on 17 December; boarding time is 1230.

I have scheduled antigen tests for 14 December at 1530, 69 hours before boarding.  Except for fact that antigen tests could have higher false positive (or false negative) than PCR test, is there any reason that I should try to schedule PCR test instead of keeping with antigen tests?

thanks,

Marc

Hi Marc - We're wondering exactly the same thing??  We board the Mariner in Miami one day after you...on 18 December.  Just trying to "figure out" this whole "Pre-Testing thing".  Regards