Silver Muse in Australia?

Stickman1990

13 minutes ago, Stickman1990 said:

Standby for some good news for Australia re Silver Muse - my lips are sealed....

but did I say December 2021?

Strong rumour that Australia will be very happy come December (subject to COVID twists and turns of course)....

As someone who has just been notified about my December Aus/NZ Muse cruise being cancelled as expected and the update that they hope to sail East Coast late December I think it is still speculation. My Premier here in the West isn't letting any of us out till January or possibly February so we can't join. I would think that no International clients can join as the Queensland Premier has a similar mindset to my guy.

8 minutes ago, frantic36 said:

My Premier here in the West isn't letting any of us out till January or possibly February so we can't join. I would think that no International clients can join as the Queensland Premier has a similar mindset to my guy.

Is WA still part of Australia? 🙂
Needless to say WA is not on any itinerary I've seen

I'm not sure if I'd put both Anna and McGowan in the same category - but they're definitely a bit different than the larger States

Edited by Stickman1990

1 minute ago, Stickman1990 said:

Is WA still part of Australia? 🙂
Needless to say WA is not on any itinerary I've seen

I'm not sure if I'd put both Anna and McGowan in the same category - but they're definitely a bit different than the larger States

Yes we still are, thanks for your concern 🙄. The itinerary goes into Queensland so hence my comment about whether she would accept any international cruise passengers as early as December. 

Though I am disappointed we won't be able to join the cruise I hope it goes ahead. I still think there will be a limited clientele base.

• Like 1

Here’s a brochure on the just announced Silversea cruises in Australia in December 2021 through Feb 2022 on Silver Muse. Full itineraries but no pricing yet
Of course they’ll be subject to Governmemt approval - on that front you can choose to be an optimist or a pessimist!

Bookings open tomorrow -17 September 

Silversea Australia Cruises 2021-2022.pdf

• Thanks 1

I think it is wishful thinking.Although it is very likely our border may well open on December 17th it will be a phased reopening almost certainly.I doubt foreign tourists will be allowed into Australia until 2022 and probably second quarter 2022.

If only Australian passengers I think the cruises will be hard to sell.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, drron29 said:

I think it is wishful thinking.Although it is very likely our border may well open on December 17th it will be a phased reopening almost certainly.I doubt foreign tourists will be allowed into Australia until 2022 and probably second quarter 2022.

If only Australian passengers I think the cruises will be hard to sell.

As most of the Silversea cruises in the last couple of months in Europe and Alaska appear to have been sailing near half full the company may be happy to accept that for these cruises.  I think you might be surprised at local demand  as I think there is plenty of pent-up desire to travel amongst locked down Australians. If they do sail I'd be prepared to look at them but not until the picture for this country is hopefully clearer in the next few months. Much water to flow under the bridge.

• Like 1

I had also been told this by SS when I called regarding my own January sailing dilemma. He said all Shadow and muse cruises had been cancelled. The Australian replacements being scheduled would be bookable only by Australians. I did say fair dinkum in my best Aussie accent but he still wouldn't allow me to book. lol

I was also told that Conrad had been (or was in) South America for the Expedition itinerary changes and he said it was also for the Dawn South America circumnavigation. I was expecting to hear the news (like I had been told previously would come out on Labor day) what had been decided. If it is at it sounds, they are intending to go ahead, that leaves UK citizens in a bad situation as 7 of the 8 countries are red (on my leg) and the other, won't let us in. I hope this wont be the "but it wasn't cancelled" game. I have been assured that wont be the case and I would be covered, but that news was a little troublesome. I had expected to hear Dawn had a new itinerary set. Maybe it wont be the case. One thing we both agreed on, the newest flagship wont be sitting idle with others in the fleet sailing.

Edited by les37b
  • Thanks 1

Les -- thank you for your very clear response and explanation. It makes sense that the internationally advertised and booked Muse sailings in Australia/New Zealand were cancelled, and that they've replaced those itineraries with Australia-only-voyages-for-Aussies.

Although my mother and I are disappointed (and not surprised) that our mid-January Sydney-to-Auckland was cancelled, I am glad that Silversea is finding a way to stay afloat in the region and provide a fabulous experience for Australians. Our journey will wait for 2023.

Stickman, I appreciate your enthusiasm, truly! What you are able to see from your computer is location-sensitive. Here in North America, the next Muse voyage listed isn't until late March 2022. Alas, the voyages you see are not available for those of us outside Australia. Cheers to you! And have fun!

• Like 3

On 9/15/2021 at 9:06 PM, Stickman1990 said:

Here’s a brochure on the just announced Silversea cruises in Australia in December 2021 through Feb 2022 on Silver Muse. Full itineraries but no pricing yet
Of course they’ll be subject to Governmemt approval - on that front you can choose to be an optimist or a pessimist!

Bookings open tomorrow -17 September 

Silversea Australia Cruises 2021-2022.pdf 2.54 MB · 34 downloads

Several good options. Maybe by February 2022 Australia will be open for tourists

4 hours ago, Stickman1990 said:

Thanks Paul - worth noting that the shorter “sub-cruises” associated with these longer cruises aren’t listed on the website but are on the brochure I posted and are able to be quoted by your TA or Silversea direct

Not sure what that means, if it means anything. Maybe they are testing the waters, so to speak, and will add the others later. In any case, we are now booked for one of the trips, and hope it all eventuates but are prepared for it not to. Terms of booking, and possible cancellation, were satisfactory to us.

Edited by turtlemichael

This announcement today by the Queensland Premier doesn’t auger well for the proposed Silversea cruise in December - she’s talking Queensland only cruises to start with 

“Ms Palaszczuk said the state government would work with the cruising industry to allow some Queensland-based small cruise holidays from next year when the vaccination rates hit 80 per cent.

“I’ll put that to national cabinet as well, but I honestly think that is a great option for Queenslanders who are fully vaccinated to actually trial some smaller cruises up and down the Queensland coast,” she said.”

https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/national/queensland/queensland-cruising-industry-could-be-restarted-as-state-records-local-case-20210923-p58u2k.html?fbclid=IwAR2OofiF26VQb6XcBvoraxD0YABz6aruErrpm6XEaKj3aqiYOGXs_-5v5MI

• 4 weeks later...

Perhaps better news with Queensland opening up in two phases, the second on 17 December to fully vaccinated Aussies with a negative test?  I wonder if Silversea will be able to get an assurance they'll be allowed to sail in and the 21 December cruise ex Cairns will go ahead?

Thoughts anyone?

Coincidentally, the ban on foreign registered cruise ships arriving into Australia currently ends on 17 December - which could be extended of course.

Edited by cruisingaussies
more info
  • Like 1

Cruisingaussies, it will be interesting.

There has apparently been discussions recently about cruises restarting, and one would think that small ship test cruises with Australians in Australian waters would be ideal to start.

We have an Antarctic cruise with Ponant in January, originally leaving from NZ but they are now in ‘talks’ with the big wigs, to change the embarkation point to Hobart for Aussies only.

Again makes sense that if they follow the CLIA resumption to cruising plan, some test cruises would go ahead, and like you mention after December 17th, so the SS cruises may just be a go 🤷‍♀️

• Like 1

18 hours ago, gogo65 said:

Cruisingaussies, it will be interesting.

There has apparently been discussions recently about cruises restarting, and one would think that small ship test cruises with Australians in Australian waters would be ideal to start.

We have an Antarctic cruise with Ponant in January, originally leaving from NZ but they are now in ‘talks’ with the big wigs, to change the embarkation point to Hobart for Aussies only.

Again makes sense that if they follow the CLIA resumption to cruising plan, some test cruises would go ahead, and like you mention after December 17th, so the SS cruises may just be a go 🤷‍♀️

Hi gogo65.  Fingers crossed for your January cruise and ours in December.  I spoke with an agent at Silversea on Friday who said they are just waiting for Federal Government approval; whether they'll get it - or get it in time for Silversea to have the ship ready to sail - who knows.  This article sounds a little promising:

NSW Premier backs cruise return as our readers overwhelmingly support an urgent restart - Cruise Passenger

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cruisingaussies said:

Hi gogo65.  Fingers crossed for your January cruise and ours in December.  I spoke with an agent at Silversea on Friday who said they are just waiting for Federal Government approval; whether they'll get it - or get it in time for Silversea to have the ship ready to sail - who knows.  This article sounds a little promising:

NSW Premier backs cruise return as our readers overwhelmingly support an urgent restart - Cruise Passenger

It's not only  a matter of a Federal Government decision on cruising but also a matter of the states, most notably Queensland, allowing interstate passengers to cross their borders without quarantining within the timeframe. 

28 minutes ago, turtlemichael said:

It's not only  a matter of a Federal Government decision on cruising but also a matter of the states, most notably Queensland, allowing interstate passengers to cross their borders without quarantining within the timeframe. 

That has already been announced.  From 17 December you can enter Queensland from another state without quarantining, provided you are double vaccinated and provide a negative Covid test result  72 hours or less prior to entry.  The Qld state Premier stated this date is 'locked in'.

10 minutes ago, cruisingaussies said:

That has already been announced.  From 17 December you can enter Queensland from another state without quarantining, provided you are double vaccinated and provide a negative Covid test result  72 hours or less prior to entry.  The Qld state Premier stated this date is 'locked in'.

Sorry. You are correct. We are waiting on South Australia to announce their position.

4 minutes ago, cruisingaussies said:

The Qld state Premier stated this date is 'locked in'.

Sorry but based on her track record I would not trust one word out of her mouth - until it's actually locked in it's a significant risk given her unpredictability

My read of her announcement was that was the target date but subject to achievement of certain levels of vaccination across the population (I believe she is looking at wider than the over aged 16 population)

I do agree, her track record is atrocious, however, this is what she said and I really don't believe that, this time, she'll go back on her word.  She will be crucified by the Media and the man on the street if she doesn't keep it.  (Bolding is mine)

".....She said modelling showed 80 per cent of Queenslanders could be fully vaccinated by December 17 and said if vaccine targets were reached sooner, the date could be brought forward.

But she said even if the state did not reach 80 per cent, the date was "locked in" and would not be pushed back.

"[From December 17] travellers from a designated interstate hotspot can travel by road or by air, they must be fully vaccinated, they must have a negative COVID test in the previous 72 hours and no quarantine will be required," Ms Palaszczuk said...."

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-10-18/qld-coronavirus-covid-border-date-roadmap-cases/100547720

• Like 2

Good Luck to our Australian friends....I hope the Muse (waiting patiently) off the coast of San Diego will be able to make the trek.  We remember fondly Dec 2019 Sydney to Auckland on board the Muse.  What a great cruise....despite some smokey days in Sydney.  We were able to get into all the Sounds and the Tasman Sea was like glass.  Hope to get back some day....loved everything about Australia and New Zealand.  

• Thanks 1