Reserving sunbeds ( old chestnut)

kevboy

People are rude and it’s never going to change. 
I remember once having the two kids on my own on the loungers they were 3&4 at this point and we put towels on them. Hubby was asleep in the cabin. 
We moved to go take the kids to the toilet and the seats were gone. Had I have not been on my own I could have let hubby there but obviously couldn’t. 

yes I would take peoples towels off the sun chairs. I do ask the people around to see how long they have been gone. 

we had two loungers between 3 as the kids were tiny but there was a woman next to us who had hers and her daughters. Never met the daughter in the approx 2 hours we were there. 

thank goodness for the waiter who came and asked us if we wanted drinks or I would have lost them at that point. At least after the toilet we weren’t far off being ready to go back to the room. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/15/2021 at 2:23 PM, Britboys said:

Yes, it would make sense to have one towel per person in the cabin, which can be put in a bin on deck when used. New towels could be placed in the cabin at evening service.

There’s no evening service currently is there? We didn’t have one on Iona last month anyway 

On 9/15/2021 at 12:48 PM, lindylooellalouise said:

absolutely agree we were on the Iona 21st August we had a conservatory suite on deck 9 so we had excellent views of the promenade deck and we saw passengers collecting 6 towels each and were reserving sun beds on both sides of the ship and then they left and went for lunch leaving all the towels and one time we noticed they never returned we are not sunbathers so didn’t affect us but really not fair when we saw people looking for beds.

A few years ago we were on I believe Oriana and a family had towels either side of the pool so as to chase the sun. The biggest problem is that although the Horizon daily paper has displayed a notice stating that sunbeds shouldn't be reserved but as with many things these days rules are put in, but no one to make sure they are adherred to. I'm afraid a lot of what goes on these days is a case of as long as i'm alright the sod everyone else.

On 9/16/2021 at 12:45 PM, SargassoPirate said:

She Who Must Be Obeyed and I stay at a resort in Hawaii approximately every other year for several years.  As chair hogs started to proliferate, the resort solved it.  The resort has a pool attendant and little pop up flags on the back of each lounger. The attendant goes through every thirty minutes and flips up the flags for any loungers without a body in it.  The next time he comes through, if an unoccupied chair is still "flagged", he clears it.

Sounds like a good idea. Mind you the flags would need ot have a locking device on them as no doubt some would put the flags up themseves. The biggest problem is getting someone to instigate whatever measures are put in place and I fear that many of the staff might be afraid of challenging a passenger as there may be a complaint going in.

It is not just sun beds. A busy launderette aboard Arcadia or was it Oriana had an out of order sign on a machine. I was in there waiting for my drying to finish. In walks a passenger with his laundry, takes the sign off the machine, loads the clothes, sets it going and leaves taking the sign with him.

Not just loungers either. Inside lounge on Marella Explorer. A couple took to putting towels on the seats and disappearing for hours. I noticed an officer having words with them and they stopped doing it, a few days later they were at it again, this time hiding the towels down the side of the seat cushions.

37 minutes ago, Cruisemeister2002 said:

A few years ago we were on I believe Oriana and a family had towels either side of the pool so as to chase the sun. The biggest problem is that although the Horizon daily paper has displayed a notice stating that sunbeds shouldn't be reserved but as with many things these days rules are put in, but no one to make sure they are adherred to. I'm afraid a lot of what goes on these days is a case of as long as i'm alright the sod everyone else.

What really takes the biscuit was a family of four who reserved sun loungers in the sky dome  before breakfast we then saw them getting of the ship and onto the transfer bus to return to their beds later on in the afternoon, I feel sorry for the elderly and less mobile passengers who were struggling to find a comfy place to sit and I’m so glad we are not sun worshipers and much prefer to find a nice shady spot

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/18/2021 at 6:29 PM, zap99 said:

How about those folk who get up at silly o'clock, put towels on beds in both sides of the ship for when the ship moves , or the sun changes sides and then go back to bed. Is that OK?.

If you read my post properly you would know that No I don’t think that is alright.

• Haha 1

On 9/16/2021 at 9:03 AM, terrierjohn said:

Yes I am sure they would be irate and upset, but if the policy was enforced by the senior managers on board,  then it would soon become accepted practise. Unfortunately I have seen several initiatives fail over my cruising years, simply because management did not support front line staff.

Unfortunately nothing is truly enforced. Dress code, sun beds, numbers in lifts whilst Covid is rife. Washing of hands. Let's face it cruising has been dumbed down. I'm a not wealthy, but as my dear old mum used to say " They weren't brought up, they were dragged up" I always open a door for a lady, walk nearest to the traffic if walking on a path and help a lady into or out of her coat and seat. Manners cost nothing, but many have the attitude look after yourself and sod everyone else. This is not just on cruises, but everyday life. I fully understand why there is a reluctance to enforce rules for fear of complaints against individuals and the loss of revenue. But what isn't taken into consideration is that those that are affected by others flaunting the rules may also decide this form of holiday isn't for them if they are being denied access to sun beds. Dressing up to go to dinner only to find a few scruffy so and so's wandering about and visiting the loo only to see someone walking out without washing their hands.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Cruisemeister2002 said:

Unfortunately nothing is truly enforced. Dress code, sun beds, numbers in lifts whilst Covid is rife. Washing of hands. Let's face it cruising has been dumbed down. I'm a not wealthy, but as my dear old mum used to say " They weren't brought up, they were dragged up" I always open a door for a lady, walk nearest to the traffic if walking on a path and help a lady into or out of her coat and seat. Manners cost nothing, but many have the attitude look after yourself and sod everyone else. This is not just on cruises, but everyday life. I fully understand why there is a reluctance to enforce rules for fear of complaints against individuals and the loss of revenue. But what isn't taken into consideration is that those that are affected by others flaunting the rules may also decide this form of holiday isn't for them if they are being denied access to sun beds. Dressing up to go to dinner only to find a few scruffy so and so's wandering about and visiting the loo only to see someone walking out without washing their hands.

Unfortunately that is life in general today, and it is not a generational attitude, many of my age group, 65+ are as bad. You only have to read posts on the dress code, the attitude of some is, It's my holiday I'll dress and do what I like. It's not going to change, only get worse, unless the attitude of the cruise lines changes, which I doubt. They just want bums on seats.

19 hours ago, Cruisemeister2002 said:

as my dear old mum used to say " They weren't brought up, they were dragged up"

That is always of on my favourite quotes. Love it!

Yes, folk will be folk and some - regardless of their class etc -  will do just how they please and damn politeness/decency and the like and wallow throughout their cruise oozing a stench of arrogance and entitlement. Now if I were uncharitable I would will that sort of person to trip on a stale canapé and fall overboard. But I am, of course, far too polite!

On the Sky Princess in October I twice removed towels and books etc. to a tidy pile nearby as the reservists had gone off to do something else. Neither returning couples made anything of it and would certainly have gotten a short, sharp reply if they did. It’s just having the nerve to do it and my view is that if they ‘kick off’ enough they may well find themselves off loaded at the next port. So, to get on the right side of things I let a ‘pool attendant’ know what I’ve done and where the removed property is.  

I have moved two towels and books on Aurora which had been chair hogging for hours. I tried to get the staff to take them away but they refused even though I said no one has sat there all morning. I picked them up and gave to the bar staff, the chairs soon had occupants. A little while later a bar attendant came along and gave a note to the new occupants, I presume to tell the owners who had their books. I left just before lunch and no one had returned to claim them. The staff do not want (or have been instructed) to get involved.

Edited by my marina bay