Seapass card - is it still being touched by others?

PKB

10 minutes ago, PKB said:

First, I am not a germaphobe, but just wondered if seapass cards are still being touched by other people every time there is a transaction on the ship.

OK if worried, just wash your hands (and seapass card) after it is used.  Take some small alcohol wipes (like for cleaning lenses) and wipe your card.  Really on a fully vaccinated ship COVID virus should not be spread by hand contact.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Occasionally, but not every transaction. For many things, they just asked for our room number (and sometimes just looked at the card to verify). I think I swiped it myself in the gift shop. 

It got to where I would forget to pull my card out at a time I normally would have it out and handy. 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Yes -  every time I have ordered Coffee at Al Bacio,  I have had to hand it over.    In Luminae for dinner if we buy a bottle of wine no card required and just a cc receipt given.  

We didn't need to hand it over at al Bacio on the Summit. Just gave our room number. 

On Edge last week, there were flat card readers in the shops.  Instead of taking my card, the shop staff would gesture for me to set it on the reader and remove it when it was done.  The same thing happened at Cafe al Bacio the first few times until they recognized us and just asked for our stateroom number.  There might have been a few instances where they might have touched the card but it was definitely a lot less than in the past. 

We had a presentation today by the Chief Medical Officer for the Agency I support.  Was surprised to hear him place emphasis that COVID is a respiratory disease and is spread through droplets and aerosol and not through touch or objects.  As long as you wash your hand and avoid touching your nose or mouth, incidental contact should not be a major concern. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

We had a presentation today by the Chief Medical Officer for the Agency I support.  Was surprised to hear him place emphasis that COVID is a respiratory disease and is spread through droplets and aerosol and not through touch or objects.  As long as you wash your hand and avoid touching your nose or mouth, incidental contact should not be a major concern. 

I'm surprised at your surprise - that's been what the research and data have been showing. Fomite transfer of covid is not a huge concern. 

I'm a chronic handwasher anyway because norovirus is transmitted via surfaces, so it's good practice to wash frequently and avoid touching one's face. 

• Like 6

11 hours ago, TeeRick said:

OK if worried, just wash your hands (and seapass card) after it is used.  Take some small alcohol wipes (like for cleaning lenses) and wipe your card.  Really on a fully vaccinated ship COVID virus should not be spread by hand contact.  

You would also have to treat the glasses your drink comes in after they hand it to you.😟

If you are worried.  Get an envelope place card inside it. When its asked for you hold the envelope open so waiter can take the card when he is done hold envelope open again so he/she can place it back inside...that way only you hold the envelope and do not touch the card yourself until you can clean it.

I am not afraid of staff holding or touching my cruise card- as one poster already mentioned- Covid is almost always carried on by air. I am more afraid of people no adhering to the rules- esp. wearing their masks propperly. Holding ones mask in ones hand or wearing it right UNDER  ones nose is not how it should be worn. I am still not sure is it just ignorance or plain stupidity.

• Like 3

On 9/15/2021 at 9:47 AM, PKB said:

First, I am not a germaphobe, but just wondered if seapass cards are still being touched by other people every time there is a transaction on the ship.

On 9/15/2021 at 11:09 PM, Germancruiser said:

I am not afraid of staff holding or touching my cruise card- as one poster already mentioned- Covid is almost always carried on by air. I am more afraid of people no adhering to the rules- esp. wearing their masks propperly. Holding ones mask in ones hand or wearing it right UNDER  ones nose is not how it should be worn. I am still not sure is it just ignorance or plain stupidity.

We were on the Edge last month.  For the most part we were asked our cabin number when we ordered drinks or specialty coffees.  Every now & then we passed it to a crew member, but honestly it was infrequent.