Wonder of the Seas - Not going to China after all

Kokomo91165

2 minutes ago, ChC said:

Unfortunately it is nothing to do with Covid control. It is all to do with projected political, economical and social situation.

For many posters and cruisers here, I would like to point out in past 3 years or even 4 years, there are things going on within China is becoming very unfavourable for an ambitious global cruise company. Without going off topic, I should refrain from pointing them out. But if you are avid political and economical reader, questions would be raised on RCL's Wonder of the Seas plan 2-3 years ago.

For those wishing to know, I would only mention two points without going through hundreds pages of reasonings: 1, Chinese government has stopped issue or renewing passports for ordinary citizen unless you are overseas students or on official reasons since early 2020; 2, according to latest Guardian reports, China's biggest real estate company is leaning towards bankruptcy, which other sources of reports from Taiwan and Hong Kong suspect the effects could bring more damage than Lehman Brothers. 

You can make your own research and comes to your own conclusions.

And to your point tensions with Taiwan and the South Sea. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Tatka said:

Very strange.. On one hand seems like China can control virus the best, on the other hand this...

China has some seriously draconian Covid restrictions - which may or may not be helping with the Covid fight, and may or may not be contributing to RCI’s decision.

I was thinking of going to China in 2022, but there’s no way I want to deal with their Covid rules. I wouldn’t be surprised if RCI doesn’t feel the same way. 

Edited by zekekelso
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Staying in Europe or bringing her to the US?

Having her in warm layup the whole winter (they wouldn't start sailing in Europe till April probably) doesn't seem to make sense. RCI didn't seem to have trouble booking Odyssey on short notice.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zekekelso said:

China has some seriously draconian Covid restrictions - which may or may not be helping with the Covid fight, and may or may not be contributing to RCI’s decision.

I was thinking of going to China in 2022, but there’s no way I want to deal with their Covid rules. I wouldn’t be surprised if RCI doesn’t feel the same way. 

1 camera per 7 citizens

Royal Caribbean International has announced that the Wonder of the Seas will debut in the U.S. and Europe instead of China. 

The new Oasis-class ship is set to sail from its home in Fort Lauderdale to the Caribbean on March 4, 2022, before making its way to Barcelona and Rome for a summer European season.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, sowhat said:

Royal Caribbean International has announced that the Wonder of the Seas will debut in the U.S. and Europe instead of China. 

The new Oasis-class ship is set to sail from its home in Fort Lauderdale to the Caribbean on March 4, 2022, before making its way to Barcelona and Rome for a summer European season.

Ohhh I wonder if they will take Allure out and replace with Wonder?? I am on Allure for an 8 nighter in April '22.  That would be cool but if not, I am ok with that too.

Edited by Icesk8rReedy

I dunno...is Royal really going to move people from their cheapest Oasis class to the most expensive Oasis class? That's a lot of money they'd be leaving on the table. I know they did it for Odyssey...but that was more of an oh crap we have to last minute get people on Odyssey. 

Edited by smplybcause