Wonder of the Seas - Not going to China after all

Kokomo91165

3 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Random thought - if the conventional wisdom says that RCI makes more money on suites, why put less of them on a brand new ship?

Someone did the math. Hopefully they got good grades in school. Maybe constraining supply lets them charge more. This ship was not supposed to be in the Caribbean, so the math might not make sense now.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

One assumes the RCI accountants know that a ship with a 25+ year span will not be limited to a single market.

Do you happen to know the number of berths? I'm guessing that it is more than the other O class ships. Maybe more bodies on board = more money if so much revenue is generated on board.

4 minutes ago, twangster said:

I "wonder" how much this change in the suite capacity may be a glimpse into Icon.  

One would think they know better than to design a ship for a single market to the extent they have with Wonder.  Lesson learned.    

I never understood the logic behind putting an O class ship anywhere other than the Caribbean where it can run regular routes year-round at full capacity.

5 minutes ago, Pratique said:

Do you happen to know the number of berths? I'm guessing that it is more than the other O class ships. Maybe more bodies on board = more money if so much revenue is generated on board.

Most sources say 5734 double occupancy capacity, so about 200 more than her sisters. Most RCG SEC statements mention making most of their profit from on board sales so maybe the conventional wisdom was wrong and that more passengers offsets any loss of suite cabin revenue. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Pratique said:

Yeah saw your post right before mine. Are you going to cancel or stick?

I need to call and talk to them. I’m appalled that they did this. I would expect Sky class at the bare minimum with substantial OBC. Unfortunately, I think I’m out of luck. Pretty disappointed with Royal right now. 

Edited by PK34
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Pratique said:

They are still repricing, can't wait to see how that turns out. Now offering full suite benefits in the JS plus $300 OBC as a consolation prize. Still not worth it to us.

Is that just for the cruise that you originally booked on Allure or for all JSs going forward?  

• Haha 1

The move from Allure to Wonder seems to have the biggest impact on suite passengers particularly on the TA sailings. I think everyone's situation different and pricing for my initial sailing would play a huge factor in my decision regardless of category. We initially booked a JS  on the Explorer for 2020 did a L&S to Harmony then a L&S to Allure.  According to our current balance in the cruise planner, the wonder is over $7000 cdn MORE than what we paid just for a JS. If Royal can sell cabins at that much of a higher price point, it doesn't give much incentive to retain existing bookings. I hope everyone is able to get solutions that work for them, it's been almost 2 years of disappointing vacation cancellations and 2022 needs to be better 🙂 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, SherriZ366 said:

Does your WB end in Port Canaveral or Ft. Lauderdale?  

Hi Sherri.   Our westbound 2022 TA on Wonder ends now in PC.   Original Allure was to end in Galveston.  One cancelled on Allure previous to Covid shut down before that,  was to end in Miami.  

I am thrilled ours ends now in PC...just a taxi ride home.  No air flight to deal with!  😄 

I ended up lucky on all accounts there....after some initial nail biting.  😮  Just hope it continues to play out that way.  

• Like 1

On 9/25/2021 at 10:26 AM, island lady said:

Hi Sherri.   Our westbound 2022 TA on Wonder ends now in PC.   Original Allure was to end in Galveston.  One cancelled on Allure previous to Covid shut down before that,  was to end in Miami.  

I am thrilled ours ends now in PC...just a taxi ride home.  No air flight to deal with!  😄 

I ended up lucky on all accounts there....after some initial nail biting.  😮  Just hope it continues to play out that way.  

Thanks Pat.  I'm interested to see if Wonder will replace Harmony for the rest of 2022-2023.  We have HM bookings for December 2022 and February 2023.  

On 9/15/2021 at 10:43 AM, Tatka said:

Very strange.. On one hand seems like China can control virus the best, on the other hand this...

Not at all, they just lied.  Massive number of deaths in China at start of pandemic.  There are a number of other countries (including India and Brazil) whose reporting can best be described as farcical. 

• Thanks 1