CDC testing requirements change - Kids under 12 can now get antigen tests again

JMKreno

I checked didn't see anything on this.

It appears the CDC changed their requirements, again, for kids under 12 and testing. Royal has apparently adopted this. I JUST ordered 3 EMED kits for our family yesterday for our cruise in 2 weeks as I wanted a buffer to get them. Now, I could have ordered the 6 pack and test our 6 year old as well. Oy vey. 

IMHO this is becoming pretty difficult to plan for.

Testing Requirements

All Guests: Required Pre-Cruise Testing

Before boarding day, you’ll need to take a COVID-19 test on your own, at your own expense.

• Vaccinated guests age 12 and older must show a negative COVID-19 test result for a PCR or antigen test taken no more than 2 days before boarding day.
  • Unvaccinated kids age 2 to 11 must show a negative test result for a PCR or antigen test taken no more than 3 days before boarding day. Kids’ pre-cruise test cannot be taken on boarding day, because that may affect the sample taken during the kids’ test at the terminal.
  • Guests under 2 years of age do not need to complete a pre-cruise test.

Have questions about which tests are accepted?

Edited by JMKreno
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, JMKreno said:

I JUST ordered 3 EMED kits for our family yesterday for our cruise in 2 weeks as I wanted a buffer to get them. Now, I could have ordered the 6 pack and test our 12 year old as well.

if your kid is 12, they must be vaccinated and could get the antigen test anyway. So, I don't understand your confusion...

6 minutes ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

if your kid is 12, they must be vaccinated and could get the antigen test anyway. So, I don't understand your confusion...

Sorry, I had a typo. I meant my 6 yr old. 

Over 12 hasn't changed. As of yesterday afternoon our 6 yr old had to get a PCR test, in fact I JUST got my safe sailing email at 4pm. The requirements changed after that email. Now, we can get her antigen test once again. The difference makes it much easier to get testing completed for our 6 yr old. This was the "old" standard, then PCR was required (which takes 2-3 days unless you find or pay extra for a rapid PCR), and now antigen tests are back. 

Edited by JMKreno

3 minutes ago, JMKreno said:

Over 12 hasn't changed.

you said:

17 minutes ago, JMKreno said:

Now, I could have ordered the 6 pack and test our 12 year old as well.

notice, how you didn't say anything about your 6 yo. Just the 12 yo who could have gotten the antigen test to begin with.

Now I am super confused. Royal updated their website with the change to allow antigen but then I just got an email from Royal confirming but with "telehealth home tests are still not accepted for unvaccinated guests." Does this mean that under 12 can't use the Abbot Home Proctored test like the over 12s can?

The website does NOT clarify this in fact has no mention of this restriction, even outlines using the home proctored test for antigen testing. How confusing can they make this?

CDC Change in COVID-19 Testing Requirement

Good news: The U.S. CDC revised pre-cruise COVID-19 testing requirement for unvaccinated kids, making it easier. Previously, only PCR tests were accepted. Now, unvaccinated kids ages 2 to 11 may present either a negative PCR or antigen test result. The test must be taken no more than 3 days prior to sailing, but not on boarding day.

Then on embarkation day, unvaccinated kids ages 2 to 11 will undergo a complimentary PCR test for COVID-19 at the terminal. Pre-cruise test cost continues to be the guest's responsibility and telehealth home tests are still not accepted for unvaccinated guests.

Review all of our health protocols at RoyalCaribbean.com/Health or
contact us at 954-628-9290 or 1 (800) 256-6649 with any questions.

Edited by JMKreno