GoPro Hero10

ncovert

The last time I made a major investment into a camera I came to this board and found out all about it.

I came here today looking to see if anyone had posted about the newly released GoPro Hero10.  Specifically how it performs, like dislikes and such.  I put into the search bar GoPro Hero10 and found no such thread so I wanted to see  if anyone had first reactions/impressions and might be able to give a thumbs up or down.

Yes I know there are other places reviews exist and I have read several, but I wanted to get a cruise's opinion.  Thank you in advance.  Happy sailing everyone!

On 9/20/2021 at 10:26 AM, Laszlo said:

How are you going to be using the camera?

Defiantly a casual user.  On board pictures and video of the ship.  On land views from our excursions and the places we visit as a family.  I have a youtube channel for the family, but is defiantly for recreation and not profession.  

I am really looking for something that can get wet, but does not need the clumbsy casing the gopro I have now needs.  I know there might be cheaper cameras out there, just looking for dialogue on the GoPro Hero10.  Thank you for asking

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ncovert said:

Defiantly a casual user.  On board pictures and video of the ship.  On land views from our excursions and the places we visit as a family.  I have a youtube channel for the family, but is defiantly for recreation and not profession.  

I am really looking for something that can get wet, but does not need the clumbsy casing the gopro I have now needs.  I know there might be cheaper cameras out there, just looking for dialogue on the GoPro Hero10.  Thank you for asking

If you are not going to do mostly videos I would skip the GP. You can do much better. The GP is really for doing video, yes it will take good photos but its really made for shooting video. I have a bunch of cameras, go pro, DJI Pocket and Osmo and two drones. My go to pocket camera for great photos and some video is a Nikon W300....   https://amzn.to/3hX8Ld7

Its waterproof, drop proof and it takes some pretty good photos. Check out some of my videos

Unless your going to mirror the GP on your phone its going to get old fast looking at the tiny screen

Edited by Laszlo

Thank you for the information and recommendation.

22 hours ago, Laszlo said:

If you are not going to do mostly videos I would skip the GP. You can do much better. The GP is really for doing video, yes it will take good photos but its really made for shooting video. I have a bunch of cameras, go pro, DJI Pocket and Osmo and two drones. My go to pocket camera for great photos and some video is a Nikon W300....   https://amzn.to/3hX8Ld7

Its waterproof, drop proof and it takes some pretty good photos. Check out some of my videos

Unless your going to mirror the GP on your phone its going to get old fast looking at the tiny screen

I bought a GoPro9 for our cruise around Iceland in July. Unfortunately most of what I used it for were our Icelandair takeoff and landings. In fact the audio of one takeff is unusable because the passenger in front of us decided to give a running narrative of his life to his seatmate! My intention was to use the mount for sailaways, and mounting it on the car's fender for POV shots. Even though i had made tether cords in case the mount failed, the roads were too rough to chance dropping it. I look forward to using it in the future though.

My advice is to wait for sales on the GoPro9 unless the 10 is that much better. I never had some of the issues mentioned by users probably due to updates.

Edited by Heartgrove

On 9/23/2021 at 6:53 AM, Heartgrove said:

I bought a GoPro9 for our cruise around Iceland in July. Unfortunately most of what I used it for were our Icelandair takeoff and landings. In fact the audio of one takeff is unusable because the passenger in front of us decided to give a running narrative of his life to his seatmate! My intention was to use the mount for sailaways, and mounting it on the car's fender for POV shots. Even though i had made tether cords in case the mount failed, the roads were too rough to chance dropping it. I look forward to using it in the future though.

My advice is to wait for sales on the GoPro9 unless the 10 is that much better. I never had some of the issues mentioned by users probably due to updates.

Thank you for replying.  Currently the price of the 9 and 10 are the same (or at least what I have found they are).  Do you think they will go on sale before our November 9 cruise? 

I am still very much considering Osmo as our CC member had posted about.  Also, would still love to hear from anyone who has had a chance to work with the 10.  Thanks everyone!

Edited by ncovert

15 minutes ago, ncovert said:

Thank you for replying.  Currently the price of the 9 and 10 are the same (or at least what I have found they are).  Do you think they will go on sale before our November 9 cruise? 

I am still very much considering Osmo as our CC member had posted about.  Also, would still love to hear from anyone who has had a chance to work with the 10.  Thanks everyone!

The GP10 is incrementally better than the GP9, but as previous posters have said, it's for video not still pictures. Seems like a great upgrade. I have seen a couple of videos from David Manning and Van Neistat, that show the stabilization is unreal.

We are still using our GP7 Black and GP5 and use it mostly for in water and timelapse. We have and Osmo Pocket 2 for most other video and a Sony ZV-1 for a higher end setup. All three cameras along with accesories is smaller than my toiletries bag. haha.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Dat Cruisin Couple said:

The GP10 is incrementally better than the GP9, but as previous posters have said, it's for video not still pictures. Seems like a great upgrade. I have seen a couple of videos from David Manning and Van Neistat, that show the stabilization is unreal.

We are still using our GP7 Black and GP5 and use it mostly for in water and timelapse. We have and Osmo Pocket 2 for most other video and a Sony ZV-1 for a higher end setup. All three cameras along with accesories is smaller than my toiletries bag. haha.

Awesome, I'll check out David Manning and Van Neistat, thank you

• 3 weeks later...

Just a quick update for anyone who had been following this thread, I finally made a selection.  I had decided to purchase the Osmo based on the advice of others here, but when I went to purchase, my wife said what are you doing and that I should just get the GoPro.  So I did and it will be here today.  Once I have a chance to use it a little bit I will make a video to show it and give my personal impressions.

Thank you to everyone for your help 

Posting a video of my first pictures and video made with my GoPro Hero 10.  http://My Out of the Box GoPro Hero10 First Video and Pictures

Still lots to check out, but in an initial observation is the ease in which I can get at the video taken.  It is definitely easier than my old GoPro.  The stabilization is as awesome as others have posted.  Will post more as I have a chance to use.  

Also way more excited about our November 9th cruise on the Miracle

• Like 2

10 hours ago, ncovert said:

Posting a video of my first pictures and video made with my GoPro Hero 10.  http://My Out of the Box GoPro Hero10 First Video and Pictures

Still lots to check out, but in an initial observation is the ease in which I can get at the video taken.  It is definitely easier than my old GoPro.  The stabilization is as awesome as others have posted.  Will post more as I have a chance to use.  

Also way more excited about our November 9th cruise on the Miracle

Your link doesn't seem to work, at least for me. When I click on it it takes me back to your original post

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
22 hours ago, ncovert said:

https://youtu.be/UI9f_9qV2EM

I Wanted to post since I had started here to find out people’s impressions of the GoPro Hero10.  Just got back off the Carnival Miracle and made this video using my Hero10.

very nice! I did find the music transitions a little jarring, but nothing to dwell on. Also won't the UTube give the video copyright strikes?

Edited by Dat Cruisin Couple

5 hours ago, Dat Cruisin Couple said:

very nice! I did find the music transitions a little jarring, but nothing to dwell on. Also won't the UTube give the video copyright strikes?

Sorry about the music transitions, I am still experts with new editing software.  It does put a claim on the video, but since I am not trying to earn money on the videos YT put a strike against my account. 

On 11/16/2021 at 2:21 PM, ncovert said:

Sorry about the music transitions, I am still experts with new editing software.  It does put a claim on the video, but since I am not trying to earn money on the videos YT put a strike against my account. 

No problem. Looks like you had a good time and captured the memories. That's what counts.

• Like 1