NEW COVID testing requirements for travel to England from October 2021

As foreseen in comments in several recent threads, details of the shake up to England's COVID testing regime for inbound travel have been released:

- changes to the 'red list' from 22 September - see https://www.gov.uk/guidance/red-amber-and-green-list-rules-for-entering-england#red-list (the US and Canada, where many of our queries come from, are not on this list)

- from 4 October - no longer any requirement for a pre-departure test from non-red list countries for fully vaccinated individuals (NB if vaccinated in US, must be resident in US) - see https://www.gov.uk/guidance/red-amber-and-green-list-rules-for-entering-england#new-rules There is still a requirement for a Day 2 test

- from "later in October" the Day 2 test will change from a PCR test to a cheaper lateral flow test (it is not clear from reports I have read so far if this will be self-administered and declared)

Edited by Cotswold Eagle

• Cotswold Eagle changed the title to NEW COVID testing requirements for travel to England from October 2021

So happy to see this! Right now, I have booked my husband and I returning from Turkey to the US through London in late November, staying overnight at the airport Hilton before departing the next day for the US. Now that Turkey will be removed from the Red List, this will be possible as a transit landside. It's such a long trip for us (we have two connections) that I preferred to stay overnight in London, it's four hours from Istanbul to London alone. Also, I don't want to have to get up at 3 AM to get an early morning flight out of Istanbul - migraine would be inevitable. Fingers crossed that everything proceeds as planned!

On 9/17/2021 at 2:34 PM, gnome12 said:

This is going to mess up some Canadian snowbirds, who got their vaccinations in the US before they were readily available in Canada.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out, as there is no logic to the requirement that I can discern. Snowbirds who were able to get vaccinations in countries other than the US don't face the same requirement. My neighbours, who own a home and would normally winter in Florida, chose to spent last winter on Grand Cayman and were vaccinated there.

44 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

chose to spent last winter on Grand Cayman and were vaccinated there

I don’t think that works either, does it? Your neighbours may know better, but my understanding of the ‘UK vaccine programme overseas’, which includes the Overseas Territories, is that it also applies only to residents? 

Incidentally, this is not a change, it’s the current definition of ‘fully vaccinated’. 

Edited by Cotswold Eagle

20 minutes ago, Cotswold Eagle said:

I don’t think that works either, does it? Your neighbours may know better, but my understanding of the ‘UK vaccine programme overseas’, which includes the Overseas Territories, is that it also applies only to residents? 

Incidentally, this is not a change, it’s the current definition of ‘fully vaccinated’. 

Do UK authorities actually believe that a Canadian receiving a double dose of SpikeVax in the US is somehow less vaccinated than a US resident receiving the same double dose? Or does the UK not accept as legitimate any vaccination received out of country? For example, a UK resident on a student visa studying in Canada? 

I'm not challenging you, I'm just trying to understand the logic behind this.

7 hours ago, Fouremco said:

I'm not challenging you, I'm just trying to understand the logic behind this.

I don’t set policy for the government here, so I am obviously unable to answer your question.
I was merely trying to provide factual information to help people in accordance with Cruise Critic policy on COVID matters (see red highlighted link at the top of the page) which states that:

Effective immediately, COVID-related discussion should be limited to actual policy on board ships (and other forms of travel) and its practical application.  Discussion should NOT veer into opinion or debate.

Edited by Cotswold Eagle

• 3 weeks later...

Further updates announced today, in force from Monday 11th.

The red list (requiring hotel quarantine for 11 days) has been slashed to just seven countries: Peru, Ecuador, Colombia, Panama, Venezuela, Haiti and the Dominican Republic  

‘Fully vaccinated’ recognition has been extended to many more countries.

The requirement for a Day 2 test remains and has not yet been downgraded to a self-administered (and cheaper) lateral flow test, but this is promised by the end of the month. 

On 9/17/2021 at 12:31 PM, Cotswold Eagle said:

from "later in October" the Day 2 test will change from a PCR test to a cheaper lateral flow test (it is not clear from reports I have read so far if this will be self-administered and declared)

Your post implies that the PCR test will be self-administered. Yet, if I'm reading the authorized vendor list correctly, even the current test is primarily self-administered. I was hoping to find a 'walk-in' location in Southampton, and haven't yet. Maybe I shouldn't be as concerned as I am. The driving need is for a test confirmation number for the Passenger Locator Form. By Day 3 we'll be sailing, so the actual test, at that point, is sort of moot.

2 hours ago, frankp01 said:

Your post implies that the PCR test will be self-administered

Apologies for my slightly confusing language - the key change may be reading your own results. The change is to lateral flow tests, which use a cartridge that the user can read themselves, rather than the swab being processed in a lab. There was talk of having to upload a video of taking the test, more recently of just uploading the results as in the attached (which happens to be positive!) The user drops fluid that has been used to clean the swab into the slot marked ‘S’. 

But all speculation until the official rules come out. 

65AB0C73-6A9D-4520-8A42-0337DB4253A5.jpeg

Edited by Cotswold Eagle

I'm in the States, and I'm very familiar with the Self-Administered swab tests (They're referred to as an Antigen Self-Test here. Actually, we have a different name for a Lateral Flow Test, too, as we don't have that terminology at all.).

I've travelled domestically to a few COVID 'hot spots', and even though I have had no symptoms, I've waited a week or so after each trip and then tested myself, just to satisfy myself that I didn't pick up COVID. The flaw in that logic is that (apparently) the antigen self-tests aren't as accurate if the testee is not symptomatic. 

I don't mind doing the test myself. What I don't want to have to do is to be on pins and needles worrying about whether my test will be delivered to my hotel in time. That's why I'd rather book a walk-in test. I'll have an appointment, and it's one less detail to worry about. Actually, it's a shame I can't just bring along one of my own Abbott tests, but I need the order number for the PLF.

6 hours ago, frankp01 said:

That's why I'd rather book a walk-in test. I'll have an appointment, and it's one less detail to worry about.

If you are travelling this month, an internet search of ‘Day 2 test Southampton clinic’ showed at least three options for me just now. An alternative would be to book an appointment on arrival at your airport (assuming you are arriving by air). 

If you are travelling after the end of October, I would wait for the new rules to be published and for the providers in the market to revise their offerings. 

Day 2 tests change to Lateral Flow Tests on 24 October, suppliers will have them available from 22 October. A photo of the test cartridge will need to be uploaded, but there will be no need for video or supervision. A positive test will trigger a requirement for a confirmatory PCR and self-isolation. 

No need to change if a PCR has already been ordered for dates after 24th. 

Personally, if visiting, I’d look into getting them done on arrival at the airport. The requirement is Day 2 or before, so that is permissible. 

For residents, the free tests available from NHS are not acceptable - they must be ordered from one of the private suppliers. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/7/2021 at 7:51 PM, Cotswold Eagle said:

The red list (requiring hotel quarantine for 11 days) has been slashed to just seven countries: Peru, Ecuador, Colombia, Panama, Venezuela, Haiti and the Dominican Republic  

Another update - all countries are being removed from the red list, so no more requirements for hotel quarantine.

Pretty much anyone fully vaccinated can travel with no pre-departure tests and just a lateral flow (rapid antigen) test required on or before Day 2. 

• 5 weeks later...

I hate to have to rejuvenate this thread again. But, here goes:

How does the requirement to isolate until a negative test result is obtained affect those arriving at Heathrow? Our flight is in 2 weeks. We had planned on taking the bus to Southampton where we'd get tested. Our hotel is close to the testing site. But, now I'm afraid we might have to get tested at LHR. If so, do we need to change our hotel reservation to near Heathrow? Are the testing facilities at LHR up to testing all non-resident arrivals? Ugh. I know this is early in the new rule's lifecycle, but we need to start revising our plans.

Our final payment is coming up for my May cruise and we will need to make a decide.

Before the new Nov 2021 Covid-19 announcement coming from Canada, we needed a Rapid test and a Day 2 test.

After the Nov COVID-19 announcement, we will need a PCR to enter Britain.  

Will we need to do the Day 2 test?

2 minutes ago, phabric said:

After the Nov COVID-19 announcement, we will need a PCR to enter Britain.  

Will we need to do the Day 2 test?

Grrr. I was not aware that we might need a pre-arrival test. I thought the only changes were that the day two test (for those who were vaccinated) changed back to a PCR from antigen. But the bigger change is that one needs to isolate until a negative test is returned. As of yesterday the Gov.UK site hadn't been updated with the new regulations.

In the interest of time, we'll want to find a site that can return the results relatively quickly. We had already purchased lateral flow tests, the results of which could be submitted by phone. I don't want to wait while the postal service delivers our samples to the lab, so we're back to doing them in person.

Edited by frankp01

I know before from Canada, we needed Vaccinated proof, Rapid test to board a plane, and a Day 2 test once in Britain.  The Day 2 would be good for the ship on the Saturday.

our schedule -

Rapid test - Monday

flight - Monday

arrive - Tuesday 

Day 2 test - Thursday 

cruise - Saturday 

Edited by phabric

You may not need the rapid test, unless Canada requires it. This is what's on the UK site (as of today). Notice there is no change in the rules based on the country from which you're flying:

If you are fully vaccinated

This is what you need to do if you qualify under the fully vaccinated rules for travel to England.

Before you travel to England – fully vaccinated

Before you travel to England you must:

You can choose a lateral flow test or a PCR test. You cannot use an NHS test for this. You must use a private test provider.

You will need to enter your COVID-19 test booking reference number on your passenger locator form.

If you will be in England for less than 2 days you still need to book and pay for a day 2 COVID-19 test.

Just now, frankp01 said:

You may not need the rapid test, unless Canada requires it. This is what's on the UK site (as of today). Notice there is no change in the rules based on the country from which you're flying (other than red list countries, and Canada is not on that list):

If you are fully vaccinated

This is what you need to do if you qualify under the fully vaccinated rules for travel to England.

Before you travel to England – fully vaccinated

Before you travel to England you must:

You can choose a lateral flow test or a PCR test. You cannot use an NHS test for this. You must use a private test provider.

You will need to enter your COVID-19 test booking reference number on your passenger locator form.

If you will be in England for less than 2 days you still need to book and pay for a day 2 COVID-19 test.

I had not updated this thread as someone started another one. 

The changes come into force from 0400 Tuesday 30th and the government guidance has now been updated: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/travel-to-england-from-another-country-during-coronavirus-covid-19

As mentioned above, the requirement is now for a PCR test on or before the 2nd day. Lateral flow (rapid tests) will no longer be sufficient. This test must be booked before travel and details will be required on the passenger locator form. 

Self-isolation is required until the result of the test is available. This is at home or the place you are staying, and you will be allowed to travel directly there on arrival, using public transport if no alternative. You will not have to stay at the airport. 

Another new requirement is 10 days self-isolation if identified as a ‘close contact’ of an Omicron-variant case, regardless of vaccination status. This could include having been on a flight with a confirmed case, but I have yet to see any guidance on this. 

All the above supposes fully vaccinated, travelling from a non-Red List country (which at the moment consists of several countries in southern and Eastern Africa). 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1