Live feed from the Grand Princess 9/25 and 9/30 cruises

Cruise Raider

1 minute ago, dskenn said:

I saw a post on the other thread that you have a three hour drive.  If you are driving on the 5, I will wave to you .  I am near Magic Mountian. 😀

We're on there for a little while - we're out in the middle of the desert, support China Lake.  Good luck with the traffic - 

On 9/23/2021 at 7:58 PM, gmcwalker said:

Looks like we hit a bump in the road before we even have left. This came via email From Princess an few hours ago. Hang on folks it's going to an interesting time!

MPORTANT NOTICES ITINERARY CHANGE Please be advised that due to an operational speed reduction, Grand Princess will now arrive in Cabo San Lucas, Mexico 3:00 PM on Monday, September 27, 2021, rather than 12:00 noon as previously scheduled. Additionally, our scheduled arrival to Los Angeles on Thursday, September 30 will now be at 10:00 AM, rather than 6:15 AM. We want to assure you that this speed reduction in no way affects the safe operation of the ship, which is our highest priority. As a result of this change, our disembarkation flight guideline in Los Angeles for guests with independent air arrangements has changed. The earliest flight departure time is now 4:15 PM. Guests with Princess EZair flights that depart before 4:15 PM will have their flights changed and will receive their updated flight information soon. Guests will receive updated shore excursion information onboard. Please note that the itinerary that displays below does not yet reflect this change. Thank you for your attention to this notification.

Hubby and I are on the 9/30 sailing to Ensenada and are in Group A scheduled to board at 11:30. I wonder if this will affect our embarkation time.  

Well, I made it to the World Cruise Center Parking area after dropping my luggage off with the porters at Berth 93 and parked 2 rows away from the terminal across the street. I entered about 10:50 pm.

Getting aboard was easy. We went through several checks. There were plenty of people to help out with various signs pointing people in the right direction for Green light or not, Medallion ready or not, picking up your medallion. Had to show your passport, proof of negative Covid test and proof of vaccination. At the 2nd inspection area you emptied your pockets put everything in your carry on and then received a Boarding pass and went to a Group waiting area Elite, Platinum, and then everyone else in Group numbers of about 100 each. Then groups were called in the same order starting about 11:10. You had to show your passport again and your boarding pass. I boarded about 11:35 and went directly to my cabin. I unpacked my backpack then did the muster. We had to watch a safety video on the app or on your cabin TV and then physically go to the muster station to sign in with your medallion which I did and then went and had lunch. My first test was ordering a drink through the app. It didn't recognize my location by the Neptune pool so I ordered through the waitress. 

After lunch I went to the upper deck Lotus pool relaxed took a dip and tried the app again. This time my drink was delivered in 5 minutes to me in the pool. 

Tip#1 Make sure if you have the internet, to sign into it. As for the app you need to switch your phone to airplane mode and Wi-fi, find Medallion Net under Wi-fi connections and open it, before you can use the app on board.

To Craft Beer fans: they do have Ballast Point Sculpin and Lagunitas Little Sumpin-Sumpin. I will do more research tomorrow!

All in all it was pretty painless to set out on this cruise. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 4

3 hours ago, HaveDogWillTravel said:

Bon voyage @CruiseRaider!   Did you happen to notice any on site testing available for people who didn’t get their test results in time?

Hi HDWT …

There is a testing site right in the terminal parking lot next to to Iowa for those that haven’t gotten there test results.  Someone mentioned it was free of charge.  

• Like 6

Our flight landed in Long Beach at approximately 10:30 AM and we ordered an Uber.  The ride was just under $50 to get to the pier.  There was a bit of traffic but I would estimate we got to the terminal for check in around 11:30, which was our assigned check in time.  Nobody was checking on arrival times as we checked in.  They did have a priority boarding lane for Elite and Suite passengers.  When we checked in, there was nobody really waiting in line, though.  We walked right up and we’re all checked in quickly.  They only needed to see your passport, vaccination record, negative CoVid test results and you were then given the go ahead to get into the security lane.  We were given a boarding pass for elite passengers and it was collected again shortly afterwards and we walked onto the gangway.  I didn’t notice anybody that was waiting to board.  There was a bit of a line up on the gangway as we were having our security photos taken.  After that, we were greeted warmly by many of the crew that were lined up and clapping or holding big red hearts. 

We stopped by the guest services desk and inquired about possible upgrades. Our info was taken and we were promised that we’d get a phone call by the time of sail away.  Since we never got a call, we checked back another couple of times but still, they had no answer for us.  We never fully unpacked because the last gentleman we spoke with told us not to expect any news until tomorrow.  It appears they have quite the list of passengers that are asking for the same.  They are requesting you stay in the same cabin for any B2Bs.  
We overheard a passenger state that there are on 1100 guests onboard.  I heard someone say it was only at 1/3 capacity.  Not sure which one is true but it’s so nice to be able to catch a show without having to go so early to get a seat.  Nothing feels crowded.  

Mask wearing indoors is being strictly enforced unless you are seated at a table with food or drink.  Nobody really appears to be cheating!  They even asked that in the theater or the lounge to attend a show, take a sip and replace you mask.  We have mask mandates in California anyway, so it’s not all that new to us.  I don’t love having to wear it but, it’s so much better than not cruising!  So, masks it will be.  

We went to the DaVinci for both the embarkation lunch and dinner.  The food was quite good.  We found out that the Michelangelo is being used for the crew’s dining area.  We haven’t been given menus but are asked to scan the QR code at our tables both in the dining room and at Vines.  This is different than the Majestic in that we were given menus as we were seated.  The QR code procedure is just fine with us, though.  It’s very efficient but I can see how some people wouldn’t like it.  There were menus available for those that didn’t have a smartphone.  

The Princess Patter is still being delivered in paper form but now, just on one page.  They are cutting down on the paper waste.  I did notice that they are still printing out the photos unlike on the Majestic where you ordered them through a kiosk.  Although there are no longer embarkation photos, we did notice a couple, photographers onboard to take your picture if you wished.  
The muster drill is now done by watching it on your device or on the TV and you just check in at your muster station with your medallion.  Be sure you each get a  mark by your name after watching it.  

We attended the informal CC meet and greet up by the aft bar behind the Horizon Court.  In all, I think about 9 members attended.  
From there we went our separate ways to attend the sail away.  The Ruby Princess was docked next to us and the crew members were all out on the balconies waving to us as we sailed by.  

The crew and staff onboard so far have been wonderful.  They all seem incredibly happy that we are back onboard.  
Our room steward fulfilled all our requests pronto!  We are all the way aft on the starboard side of the ship on the Caribe deck.  The cabin is nice and clean.  Our steward does a great job.  Room cleaning is done once a day unless you request the additional evening service.  We don’t need the room steward to come in more than once a day but he assured us, just a call and they will be more than happy to bring towels or any other needs you might have in the evening.  He gave us a card with his number and I asked what time the stewards were off and he stated it is 9:00 PM.  I doubt if we will need anything. 
BTW, at the back of the ship everything is very shaky with a lot of vibration.     It is pretty noisy, which is why I’m still up at 2:00 AM writing this.  
We were in an aft facing cabin on the Majestic a couple of months ago and it was as quiet as can be.  I’ll get all caught up on my sleep soon, though.  I usually don’t mind the movement of the ship.  

Our CD is Gary and he is very energetic and funny!  He reminds me a bit of Matt O for those that have sailed with him in the past.  
We attended the Yes / No game show (very funny) in the Explorers Lounge after dinner and then off to see the comedic magic of Naathan Chan (I may have the spelling wrong) for the late show.  The comedian / magician was super talented and hilarious!   I understand that Carlos Oscar will be performing two shows.  He’s also quite funny.  The shows we attended were at 7:45 and 8:45.  It worked our perfectly for a 6:00 PM dining time.  

It was a long day so we turned in after the show.  
If I’ve forgotten to address any questions anybody has, just remind me.  I will attempt to get around to them as it seems my CC is behaving more rationally that it does at home when I am on my iPad.  The WiFi is pretty decent.  Just remember to logout on one device before you can use a different one or you will wonder what you may have done wrong.  Or .. you have the option to upgrade to a 4 device plan but it’s not really needed for us.  The MedallionClass app still works without an internet plan.  

We pretty much are sold on the app but, it’s not been without its problems for us.  I think the B2Bs have the IT team a bit stumped.  But, it’s working well onboard so far.  

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Thanks for this live thread.  Anyone who is on the Sep 30 cruise;  would you post any info regarding late arrivals into Cabo or back into San Pedro.  I am concerned about shore excursion in Cabo, and flight home out of LGB.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

If I’ve forgotten to address any questions anybody has, just remind me.

You have not forgotten as I have not yet asked.  😉

If you are passing through or in there yourself, I am interested to know if the poker table is operating.  (Majestic doesn't have one, for example, but I am presuming the Grand does).

• Like 1

@CruiseRaider thank you for the news about port side testing and for such a wonderful first day report. 

You and I have both sailed the Grand many times in the aft cabins. I know you have a good idea of what is “normal’ for her.  I am sorry to hear of the excessive noise and vibrations. I do hope this is not constant. Please keep us updated. I’ll be sailing in an aft cabin on her soon (Aloha deck). 

I love to get my miles in walking the promenade in the early morning. If anyone sailing now happens to notice would you please let me know if masking is a must while walking on the promenade?  

Thank you to all onboard for taking time from your holiday to share with us all. 

6 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

Mask wearing indoors is being strictly enforced unless you are seated at a table with food or drink.  Nobody really appears to be cheating!  They even asked that in the theater or the lounge to attend a show, take a sip and replace you mask.  We have mask mandates in California anyway, so it’s not all that new to us.  I don’t love having to wear it but, it’s so much better than not cruising!  So, masks it will be.  

If I might ask, when you were on the Majestic in July, was mask wearing indoors required or is this something new?

1 hour ago, HaveDogWillTravel said:

@CruiseRaider thank you for the news about port side testing and for such a wonderful first day report. 

You and I have both sailed the Grand many times in the aft cabins. I know you have a good idea of what is “normal’ for her.  I am sorry to hear of the excessive noise and vibrations. I do hope this is not constant. Please keep us updated. I’ll be sailing in an aft cabin on her soon (Aloha deck). 

I love to get my miles in walking the promenade in the early morning. If anyone sailing now happens to notice would you please let me know if masking is a must while walking on the promenade?  

Thank you to all onboard for taking time from your holiday to share with us all. 

I will be doing my walking in the morning, as well. Hope we can be mask free...it is outside, after all! 

Cruise Raider…Did you receive your Elite minibar? Was it the standard setup? If you made exchanges was that done in a timely manner?

Thanks for taking time to share your experiences & the great news that there’s port testing for anyone who has not received their test results before boarding. 👍 It’s great to know that source of uncertainty has been eliminated. 😊

Edited by Astro Flyer

On 9/22/2021 at 10:48 PM, Steelers36 said:

Sorry, but you have some misinformation.  In order to fly TO the USA, you don't need PCR - that is when you fly back to Canada.  So, you can get the same test for both flying and for Princess - just do it two days before the cruise.  We fly down one day before the sail date when leaving from FLL.  But, suit yourself.  And remember, Princess will offer you the necessary PCR to get back home.  Just don't book a super-early departure time.

Thanks for letting us know that we don't need a PCR test to fly into the States from Canada. There is so much information out there, I sometimes find it confusing.  We always fly to FLL a day before sailing (like you mentioned) so now we can do one test here. Our cruise isn't until Jan. 2022 (B2B on Emerald) and current Princess rules/policies apply to 2021. We knew Princess offers the PCR test to get back home and our flight would be about 5 pm. Thanks again. Happy cruising!

8 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

Our flight landed in Long Beach at approximately 10:30 AM and we ordered an Uber.  The ride was just under $50 to get to the pier.  There was a bit of traffic but I would estimate we got to the terminal for check in around 11:30, which was our assigned check in time.  Nobody was checking on arrival times as we checked in.  They did have a priority boarding lane for Elite and Suite passengers.  When we checked in, there was nobody really waiting in line, though.  We walked right up and we’re all checked in quickly.  They only needed to see your passport, vaccination record, negative CoVid test results and you were then given the go ahead to get into the security lane.  We were given a boarding pass for elite passengers and it was collected again shortly afterwards and we walked onto the gangway.  I didn’t notice anybody that was waiting to board.  There was a bit of a line up on the gangway as we were having our security photos taken.  After that, we were greeted warmly by many of the crew that were lined up and clapping or holding big red hearts. 

We stopped by the guest services desk and inquired about possible upgrades. Our info was taken and we were promised that we’d get a phone call by the time of sail away.  Since we never got a call, we checked back another couple of times but still, they had no answer for us.  We never fully unpacked because the last gentleman we spoke with told us not to expect any news until tomorrow.  It appears they have quite the list of passengers that are asking for the same.  They are requesting you stay in the same cabin for any B2Bs.  
We overheard a passenger state that there are on 1100 guests onboard.  I heard someone say it was only at 1/3 capacity.  Not sure which one is true but it’s so nice to be able to catch a show without having to go so early to get a seat.  Nothing feels crowded.  

We went to the DaVinci for both the embarkation lunch and dinner.  The food was quite good.  We found out that the Michelangelo is being used for the crew’s dining area.  We haven’t been given menus but are asked to scan the QR code at our tables both in the dining room and at Vines.  This is different than the Majestic in that we were given menus as we were seated.  The QR code procedure is just fine with us, though.  It’s very efficient but I can see how some people wouldn’t like it.  There were menus available for those that didn’t have a smartphone.  

The Princess Patter is still being delivered in paper form but now, just on one page.  They are cutting down on the paper waste.  I did notice that they are still printing out the photos unlike on the Majestic where you ordered them through a kiosk.  Although there are no longer embarkation photos, we did notice a couple, photographers onboard to take your picture if you wished.  
The muster drill is now done by watching it on your device or on the TV and you just check in at your muster station with your medallion.  Be sure you each get a  mark by your name after watching it.  

We attended the informal CC meet and greet up by the aft bar behind the Horizon Court.  In all, I think about 9 members attended.  
From there we went our separate ways to attend the sail away.  The Ruby Princess was docked next to us and the crew members were all out on the balconies waving to us as we sailed by.  

The crew and staff onboard so far have been wonderful.  They all seem incredibly happy that we are back onboard.  
Our room steward fulfilled all our requests pronto!  We are all the way aft on the starboard side of the ship on the Caribe deck.  The cabin is nice and clean.  Our steward does a great job.  Room cleaning is done once a day unless you request the additional evening service.  We don’t need the room steward to come in more than once a day but he assured us, just a call and they will be more than happy to bring towels or any other needs you might have in the evening.  He gave us a card with his number and I asked what time the stewards were off and he stated it is 9:00 PM.  I doubt if we will need anything. 
BTW, at the back of the ship everything is very shaky with a lot of vibration.     It is pretty noisy, which is why I’m still up at 2:00 AM writing this.  
We were in an aft facing cabin on the Majestic a couple of months ago and it was as quiet as can be.  I’ll get all caught up on my sleep soon, though.  I usually don’t mind the movement of the ship.  

Our CD is Gary and he is very energetic and funny!  He reminds me a bit of Matt O for those that have sailed with him in the past.  
We attended the Yes / No game show (very funny) in the Explorers Lounge after dinner and then off to see the comedic magic of Naathan Chan (I may have the spelling wrong) for the late show.  The comedian / magician was super talented and hilarious!   I understand that Carlos Oscar will be performing two shows.  He’s also quite funny.  The shows we attended were at 7:45 and 8:45.  It worked our perfectly for a 6:00 PM dining time.  

It was a long day so we turned in after the show.  
If I’ve forgotten to address any questions anybody has, just remind me.  I will attempt to get around to them as it seems my CC is behaving more rationally that it does at home when I am on my iPad.  The WiFi is pretty decent.  Just remember to logout on one device before you can use a different one or you will wonder what you may have done wrong.  Or .. you have the option to upgrade to a 4 device plan but it’s not really needed for us.  The MedallionClass app still works without an internet plan.  

We pretty much are sold on the app but, it’s not been without its problems for us.  I think the B2Bs have the IT team a bit stumped.  But, it’s working well onboard so far.  

Thanks for all of your info; we have no cruises booked until Jan 2022, but I love reading about what's going on right now. Smooth sailing for everyone !!

Thank you for all the updates,

I have a question-  Can you ask if Wait staff, Room Stewards, or any other staff are allowed of ship?  On this cruise or the next one in?  Cabo, San Diego or Ensenada

Thank you

5 minutes ago, alanasgpa said:

In regards to the Proof of the Covid test, did you show it on your phone or can we print it

Here’s what’s stated on the Princess website in the FAQ section.

https://www.princess.com/plan/cruise-with-confidence/cruise-health/frequently-asked-questions/us-cruises/

The following formats are acceptable proofs of full vaccination: COVID-19 vaccination card (original card only; no photocopies accepted), digital COVID-19 certificate (QR code acceptable); or record of COVID-19 vaccination from a healthcare provider including original digital email notification, personal electronic health record, or government Immunization information system (IIS) record.

The following identifiers for the proof of full vaccination should include your first and last name, a patient identifier such as date of birth, medical record ID, or government ID, type of vaccine (manufacturer), date of all doses administered, lot number, if available, and healthcare professional or clinic site name. The proof of full vaccination must show that your final dose of vaccine was received at least two weeks (14 days) prior to the beginning of the cruise. Alternative proof may be required if there are questions and concerns about the proof of vaccination you produce. During check-in at the terminal, you will be required to show full proof of vaccination. If you are unable to produce the described proof of vaccination, you will be denied boarding without refund, credit or compensation of any kind.

Hi @Cruise Raideror anyone else onboard willing to reply, would you find out on your 5 day sailing is the MTG (Most travel Guest) event for  the Top40 or Top20. As some are B2B, will the 4 day sailing be Top40 or Top20, I believe on the shorter cruises a MTG ‘event’ is not held, but a voucher/certificate is given to allow dinner for 2 in a specialty restaurant.

Would you verify who is the ‘Events and Loyalty Ambassador’ previously know as the Captains Circle Host. Heard it was supposed to be Barbara Z from Brazil. 

This may be helpful to someone so I thought I would share.  I don’t have a cruise coming up for a few more months but I did take a Covid test for something else.  My test was taken at Walgreens but it may be the same for CVS and any others. When I click on the email it does not give my date of birth but I can see my negative  test results. I just noticed that there’s a little tiny link for a PDF file. When you open the PDF file of your lab report you can see your name, address, date of birth and all of the other needed information just like you would normally see on a lab report. 

Edited by MsSoCalCruiser
  • Thanks 1

Couple of quickies before wifi cuts me out.  Head of dining told us at lunch there were 1,017 passengers aboard per cdc rules.  Increasing over the next few cruises to 1,800 passengers and they are unsure of 2022 allowable numbers.

I too am a Walker, got about 11,000 steps in this morning around the promenade deck.  They had both ends roped off, so to make loops you had to pass through doors back inside and across.  I was pulling my mask down and up as appropriate.  Saw a mixed bag, most people were masked, regardless, but not everyone.  I will be out there daily, trying to justify an ice cream sandwich from Coffe and Cones.

Weather is phenomenal.  Had dinner at Crown Grill last night, Sabbatini's tonight.  Unsure of tomorrow due to schedule.  Captain said we made good time last night when they sped up, so we will get to Cabo early, he will tell us when later.  Probably depends on how we do tonight.  Been to Cabo many times, so don't care, but grumbling by folks who have not since a lot of shore excursions cancelled.

TTFN

• Thanks 1

Oh forgo, regarding staff getting off.  Asked my room steward, she said some will, but many do not want to, including her.  They feel safer on the ship.

Had a long talk with my manicurist today about Princess, covid and staff.  Will gather the factoids, probably after return home when I don't have to type with one finger :)

6 minutes ago, fabby50 said:

Unsure of tomorrow due to schedule.  Captain said we made good time last night when they sped up, so we will get to Cabo early, he will tell us when later.  Probably depends on how we do tonight.  Been to Cabo many times, so don't care, but grumbling by folks who have not since a lot of shore excursions cancelled.

TTFN

Were you late leaving port?