Carnival Dream a nightmare?

nlktx49

11 hours ago, Saint Greg said:

When I was on the Dream in 2018 they were installing lamps that had USB outlets but they weren’t doing them all at once. As the lamps needed replacing, they were getting the USB lamps. Neither of my cabins had them but I would think they would by now.

2021 update: Our balcony cabin on deck 8 does NOT have USB outlets in the lamps.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

You can definitely tell this ship is not brand new, but I like it. The last Carnival shop I was on was the Valor, and it’s definitely nicer than that. There are a few minor things I’ve noticed: there are large scratches on the closet mirror in our cabin, and the TV display has 3 lines across the on-screen image. There were a lot of lights burned out in chandeliers in the MDR. The forward section of the walking track on the Lanai on deck 5 is closed to crew only,, so you can’t walk a continuous loop. I would have hoped some of those things would have been fixed during the long break.

But it is clean and pretty and the crew is absolutely amazing so far. This is the first post-shutdown sailing for this ship, and they see genuinely happy and excited to be back. I have to admit that I shed a few tears when we finally were back on board a ship after so long. 

• Like 5

On 9/18/2021 at 7:02 PM, nlktx49 said:

I cruised on the Dream in October 2019. The ship was in bad shape overall, worn out, shabby, not the service we usually get on other Carnival ships. The cabins didn't even have USB outlets! I have heard the ship was refurbished recently but everything I can find says it was refurbished in 2017. Would those who have sailed on it recently tell me if things have improved? We have a cruise on it scheduled early next year. Got a really good Thanks for any information!

What no USB? Take the power adapter with you. Such a trivial thing.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, TravelGirlinDallas said:

Somebody tell me why the deck 5 Lanai railing is covered in Saran Wrap.

E2521FBB-2002-4C8C-BCBC-F19EFD776519.jpeg

my guess would be there is paint/stain stripper under there and you will see them sanding and applying new stain over the next day or so

• Like 2

I really don't care if the Dream has dirt floors, tin roof, and a pull chain light switch. I'm there to have a fun and relaxing time. I'll even take my turn rowing if that's what it takes to be on a ship for a few days.

• Like 5
  • Haha 6

On 9/18/2021 at 7:02 PM, nlktx49 said:

I cruised on the Dream in October 2019. The ship was in bad shape overall, worn out, shabby, not the service we usually get on other Carnival ships. The cabins didn't even have USB outlets! I have heard the ship was refurbished recently but everything I can find says it was refurbished in 2017. Would those who have sailed on it recently tell me if things have improved? We have a cruise on it scheduled early next year. Got a really good Thanks for any information!

Sorry, the Dream is still a mess, I have been on that ship twice and those are still my two worst Carnival cruises. In my opinion, the problem with the Dream is the design. Very low public space per person and venues that double as or are open to walkways for people moving around the ship. This is a terrible design for a ship and doubly so now that Covid is a thing. Just seemed like every place on the ship has too many people because of that design and my cruises felt like a week of paying to stand in lines. The Pride and the Spirit. That is where it's at.   

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, asalligo said:

the problem with the Dream is the design. Very low public space per person and venues that double as or are open to walkways for people moving around the ship.

This is exactly how I felt too, but our cruise was at the height of the travel season and fully booked.  Now, at reduced capacity, I wonder if it's better.  I was on the Breeze in July (isn't it a sister ship?) and it was fantastic, did not seem crowded at all (but of course it was significantly reduced capacity).

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, csm5986142 said:

This is exactly how I felt too, but our cruise was at the height of the travel season and fully booked.  Now, at reduced capacity, I wonder if it's better.  I was on the Breeze in July (isn't it a sister ship?) and it was fantastic, did not seem crowded at all (but of course it was significantly reduced capacity).

I wondered that also as both of my cruises were also in possible spring break season. February and March. 

13 hours ago, DANCING GRANDMOMMY said:

C ports?

image.png.53feadb70076fa18ee3a4f2b2049983f.png

I'm not tech savvy at all but my car has these for the backseat passengers to use to charge stuff  instead of the normal usb.  I thought it was odd and someone told me that was the way things were headed.  Apparently it is faster.

• Thanks 1

On 9/19/2021 at 9:08 PM, TravelGirlinDallas said:

The forward section of the walking track on the Lanai on deck 5 is closed to crew only,, so you can’t walk a continuous loop. I would have hoped some of those things would have been fixed during the long break.

The Breeze was like this too. I'm not really sure why. I wonder if the Magic is also. If it's the whole class of ship, something else may be going on. They may need extra crew room for something covid related.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, JoeMo said:

I really don't care if the Dream has dirt floors, tin roof, and a pull chain light switch. I'm there to have a fun and relaxing time. I'll even take my turn rowing if that's what it takes to be on a ship for a few days.

I'm with you, just let me on the ship and all else doesn't really matter!!! Light switches, charging ports and a little wear and tear in places. I have never been on a Carnival ship that I felt unsafe on.  Lets float this..

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 9/22/2021 at 10:18 AM, asalligo said:

Sorry, the Dream is still a mess, I have been on that ship twice and those are still my two worst Carnival cruises. In my opinion, the problem with the Dream is the design. Very low public space per person and venues that double as or are open to walkways for people moving around the ship. This is a terrible design for a ship and doubly so now that Covid is a thing. Just seemed like every place on the ship has too many people because of that design and my cruises felt like a week of paying to stand in lines. The Pride and the Spirit. That is where it's at.   

I was on Dream a couple of years ago and loved it, really didn't notice the problems you mention.  I just got off Magic two days ago (same design as Dream) and we had a great time, no issues at all.  And they've modified a few procedures which help reduce waiting in lines. 

Now to be honest I prefer the smaller ships, but if one of the Dream class ships has an itinerary, date, and pricing that I find attractive I won't hesitate to book. 

• Like 1

On 9/22/2021 at 2:23 PM, jsglow said:

It's funny how everything is in the eye of the beholder.  MANY folks consider the Dream Class to be Carnival's best.  We've only been on Magic so obviously the condition of each ship can be different.

I am one of those. Been on Dream and Magic and love love love this class of ship.

• Like 2

I just got off the Dream, and I saw absolutely nothing wrong with her condition.  There were issues with tvs, ac, coolers,  water pressure and temperature, and other such things with a number of cabins.  They were mostly taken care of quickly.  I think it had much more with being out of service for almost 2 years than the age of the ship.  The crew were very excited, but a little nervous and out of practice.  I could latterly see things getting smoother every day of the cruise.  If you are expecting perfection in everything, you are going to be disappointed in almost any ship sailing right now, and I believe it is all about expectations.  It sounds like you are expecting to find problems, so I am pretty sure you will.  That is not a cut or insult, it is just the way we are.  If you expect to just go on a ship, eat and drink too much and just generally relax, you will have a great time.  Ignore the details, they don't really matter anyway.  My biggest issue was the lack  of consistency in their safety protocols, but I easily avoided things that bothered me and had a great time.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 9/22/2021 at 1:45 PM, SCBarker said:

The Breeze was like this too. I'm not really sure why. I wonder if the Magic is also. If it's the whole class of ship, something else may be going on. They may need extra crew room for something covid related.

I was on the Breeze last weekend and Deck 5 was open all the way around

• Like 1