QM balcony (sheltered)

Wake Watcher

8 minutes ago, Wake Watcher said:

Hi, has anyone more information on these cabins please?   We have cruised on Victoria, but not familiar with Queen Mary.   Any photos of balcony views would be helpful.   Thanks a lot!

Here is the link to a previous CC discussion.

https://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/topic/2529354-qm2-sheltered-balconies/

Tried once, never again, like sitting in a tin can, dingy and depressing .  On can only get a good view when seated on the “balcony” by utilising the rooms cushions as a booster.  Plus the smell of smoking products will waft down the ship.

However, others find a sheltered balcony great.

1 hour ago, PORT ROYAL said:

Plus the smell of smoking products will waft down the ship.

Smoking on balconies isn't allowed.

We like the sheltered balconies on the QM2 and always choose them (deck 5), and don't find them dingy or depressing. You're close to the sea with no lifeboats to obstruct your view.

2 minutes ago, Ray66 said:

Smoking on balconies isn't allowed.

We like the sheltered balconies on the QM2 and always choose them (deck 5), and don't find them dingy or depressing. You're close to the sea with no lifeboats to obstruct your view.

Although smoking is not allowed, there are some who deliberately ignore this.  The unpleasant smell does drift.  A call to the desk received the question “what stateroom number”. 

Agree, no lifeboats, but there is metal (part of the ship) to obstruct when seated.  But happy you enjoy the accommodation.

I think it depends on your voyage.  We would always opt for a mid ship sheltered balcony on deck 5 on a transatlantic crossing - closer proximity to the sea and stability in all weathers. We would never choose a Britannia club balcony on QM2 due to their very poor cabin location on any voyage and other preference for us is a mid ship princess grill.

• Like 3

Have had a Deck 4 mid-ship sheltered balcony for a few days.   My first choice on QM2 is a single ocean view, but have to say I really liked the sheltered cabin.  Had absolutely no issues with it and was close proximity to everything including stairs and lifts.   If a similar situation arose of not being able to get a single, would happily book a sheltered balcony again.

We saw the 'sheltered' part on our 2017 westbound crossing - the ship encountered a tropical storm remnant, and force 11 winds [deck 7 access, the observation deck & the 'lookout' closed].

It was calm on our balcony - until you put your hand out the aperture.

As far as the smoke smell, both of the spaces where smoking is permitted [Churchill's and 'The Pig & Whistle'] are on the starboard side - perhaps the ventilation system dumps the effluent there.

We have just been offered a “free” upgrade to a sheltered balcony. We said no thanks. The outside cabins beside the sheltered balconies have extra inside space instead of balcony space. I would rather have a sofa indoors than an outdoor lounger. YMMV!
When we did our last TA in a December/January there was nobody out on their balconies!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Kristal Blade said:

We have just been offered a “free” upgrade to a sheltered balcony. We said no thanks. The outside cabins beside the sheltered balconies have extra inside space instead of balcony space. I would rather have a sofa indoors than an outdoor lounger. YMMV!
When we did our last TA in a December/January there was nobody out on their balconies!

No outside loungers with a sheltered.  Only two adjustable chairs, which when in the upright position, it is impossible to have a decent view without use of all the sofa cushions as boosters.

Edited by PORT ROYAL

2 hours ago, Kristal Blade said:

I believe the cabin on the  sheltered balcony cabins and the cabin on the glass front cabins are the same size and configuration, only the balcony  is deeper on the sheltered cabins. We have sailed on both and this is my recollection but I did not actually measure. The Cunard website also indicates that they are the same size. 

Jack

• 1 month later...
On 9/23/2021 at 1:53 PM, slippery said:

It's a few years old, pre-refit but I did a short video of our sheltered cabin on deck 6.

We went Trans-Atlantic in August and loved the cabin and didn't find it particularly dark. It was just up one flight of stairs to Kings Court - very handy. 

https://youtu.be/AebmMNMbX2M

Greetings from The USA. I used to live in Leicester...I love a sheltered balcony and request one everytime I sail on the QM2

The Atlantic can be a wet and windy place even in Summer. We love the sheltered balconies as they can be used whatever the weather, exactly because they are sheltered and we also prefer to be on the lower decks. Nor do we find them in any way dark or dismal. Never had a problem with people smoking, surely Cunard passengers would know better!  
The only drawback is that you cannot see the sea when sitting down, but then you can’t see it on an open balcony either if it’s too windy to be on the balcony in the first place! 

• Like 1

Wake Watcher,

We had friends that sail on other lines but took the opportunity to try the QM2 and booked a sheltered cabin first time on board and enjoyed the experience.

We can't  remark since we like the regular balconies with Glass Panel on the balcony.

There was no remarks about smoke from other cabins ever making it's way into their cabin. And way these cabins are constructed, I understand how smoke would make it's way into the opening. I would think the smoke and odor would dissipate outside.

Also they like the amount of space that are offered in the seating area.

They did also stated that they were not bothered with the winds or waves.

Hope you make the right decision of the cabin choice and enjoy the experience.  

My first cruise on QM2 was in a sheltered balcony deck 4 mid ships which we sailed across the Bay of Biscay in brilliant sunshine but with a 7m swell. We did not feel any movement at all. As already the view isn't great when seated, but you do get the fresh air. 

• 2 months later...

We plan to book a Canada & New England cruise in a sheltered balcony, but the only ones available are guarantees. We would be satisfied with whatever we get, but is there a preference regarding forward or aft, and does your preference differ depending which deck? This will be our first sailing on Cunard. We are very excited about that! 

Edited by MJC

On 9/19/2021 at 2:31 PM, Wake Watcher said:

Thanks for all your help.   Think I'll book a "proper" balcony.

Ive read loads of really positive reviews about the sheltered balconies. Unless you've done a deeper investigation than this single thread i wouldn't be put off just yet. People have very different opinions and preferences, I've booked a forward mini suite on Princess whoch many people seem to hate and many seem to love. I think it's very personal.

When the QM2 first started sailing, my partner & I took a 13 day carib, RT NYC. cruise on her in a sheltered balcony cabin on DEck 5 midships.

We sailed in February & we really enjoyed the cabin.  I always book midships & the sheltered balcony was quite nice in that even in cold weather it did protect us from the elements.  we even had our breakfast out  there. When we reached the Carib I was able to sit on the balcony even in the blazing sun - I cant take the sun as I burn in a second.

We chose Deck 5 as there were cabins above & below  - so no noise from public spaces.

We now always book balcony cabins,  but the  open balconys have too  much wind & sun so we dont use them at much.

On QM2, Sydney to HK in 2017. Had sheltered balcony on Deck 5, good value, no problems at all, apart from needing to stand for a better view.  We had a lot of rain on that voyage so being sheltered was handy.

Edited by NSWP

Any sheltered balcony stateroom would be nice. There are some on Deck 4 that will suffer somewhat from noise on Deck 3, particularly in the area of the Royal Court Theatre when performances or rehearsals are going on (the interior staterooms across the hall would seem to have a worse issue). This effect is very localized and just a few places down the hall it is very diminished.

In 2019 I had a stateroom on 4 that was located approximately over the entrance lobby to Illuminations. I never heard any noise from below in that stateroom despite late night movies being shown in Illuminations.

Forward staterooms generally have less engine noise IME so I've always been happy to book a forward stateroom in preference to an aft stateroom.

I love the sheltered balconies, especially on a transatlantic. There are some that have vibration issues, don't remember exactly, probably just aft of midships. (The insides in that area did, too) People worry about being on 6 because of Kings Court and the possibility of hearing walkers/runners on deck 7, but any time I've been on 6 I have had no issues with noise.

And I agree about it being the best bargain on the ship. 

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder
  • Like 1