Am I the only one that doesn't care about WiFi?

2chiefs

So leave the WiFi on for the app but put it in airplane mode?

We like to unplug and leave them in the safe.  I’m not crazy about having to carry around a phone to read the menu.  I’d prefer a paper planner.  The last thing I want to do on a cruise is to read the news, look at Facebook.  Since we get a couple of free days of internet that’s plenty to check for an important email.  Unplugging is really important for the DH.  If he could be reached he’d have no vacation from work at all.  When we do land trips he’s worked many evenings.

We do listen to music or read books on kindles but it’s previously downloaded.

• Like 1

I absolutely get WiFi on the cruise. I use my phone on vacation as I do when I’m not on vacation. My kids are grown but I still like to be available for them and if I’m lounging around and think of something I want to look up I want to be able to look it up. So yes WiFi is important to me but since I have it my husband doesn’t get it. To each their own…

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, cruiselvr04 said:

Yes!  Put in airplane mode always.  Turn on WiFi to use the app or to connect  to an internet package if you bought one.   By not putting it into airplane mode the phone will keep searching for a cell signal and rack up a massive bill while doing it, and drain your battery.  

I miss leaving the phone in the safe. I have always picked cruising so I would be unreachable.

The last couple of cruises we took (2018 and 2019) we did end up getting wifi. On the first, I paid for it, the second it was included in a package. The first time, my wife wanted to have some connectivity because her grandmother was in ill health. The only convenience was being able to use messaging apps to talk to each other. 

But, I got to admit, I do enjoy being able to stream music while I'm lounging.

22 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

I got the regular wifi recently and it was slow as molasses.  Have you tried the wifi + streaming?  Is it any faster? 

Speed varies by ship and location

Forget details, but only about half the fleet has true O3B service. And if you go to far north, O3B signal gets weak.

This is dated, but interesting info

Edited by John&LaLa
  • Thanks 1

Been on 24 voyages and never had WIFI ever.

You can get free WIFI in the ports and get anything need done.

I  once watched a family of 4 sitting next to us in the dining room, all spent the entire meal staring at there devices.   Even while eating.    They never spoke.

• Like 1

We started cruising because at that time, it was a vacation “out of reach” so we could really disconnect.  Now, although we do lock up our phones in the safe while on the ship, we occasionally use our free WiFI to check email and do a little work when we’re on long B2B cruises.

I have a teenager, so it’s in my best interests to care, unless I want to have a cranky and complaining teenager. It’s a small price to pay for her (and all of us) to enjoy our vacation. We usually get one package and share it between the family. I do like to check personal emails and post pictures to social media. One thing I refuse to use it for is work. When I’m on vacation, I’m unplugged from work. My work partner can handle things for me (and vice versa when he is on vacay). I know some don’t have that luxury, but I don’t pay thousands of dollars to sit on a ship and be annoyed by something someone did at work!

The first thing we do when in our cabin is put our passports and phones in the safe. I'm not carrying a phone around, or interested in following what's on it. We just got off a cruise to Alaska, and there were some people that never stopped looking at the phone, missing the beautiful Alaska scenery.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, 2chiefs said:

There is so much talk about wifi availability, costs, etc. on these threads, it amazes me that there is such a need (or desire) for wifi while cruising.

I do understand however, the need to stay in touch with relatives in special cases, etc.  I can understand needing to stay in touch on long cruises, family issues or even work for the younger folks still working.

Personally, we like to lock up our phones in the safe while on a cruise and disconnect from the outside world and enjoy our vacation. We typically take cruises that are shorter 7 to 14 days in length. We don't bring computers or tablets with us.

Disclaimer: Pre-cruise, I do love to read live reviews from the ship from those that like to submit them. However, I personally would rather spend my time doing other things on the cruise than reporting and posting pictures. But for those that do, thank you.

I thought might be a fun thread to hear from others how they feel about wifi and how they use it on the ship.

I would love to hate WIFI but unfortunately, my husband's "vacation" time is not really a true vacation where we can completely unplug. We are in our 60's so still working.  Mr. husband is required to be available 24x7, even while on vacation.  They will only contact him if absolutely necessary, but we have yet to have a vacation where he didn't have to log in at least a couple of times to resolve an issue. 

Looking forward to retirement when uplugging will be easier.

• Like 1

@2chiefsWe always stay disconnected. Even before retiring. We only take one phone with us and it's off before we get out of the cab at the cruise terminal and locked in the safe once we get to our cabin. I only use about 15 minutes of our C&A internet minutes on the last day to do our airline check in and print our boarding passes. All video and some pictures I take of our trips is done with a small Canon PowerShot ELPH 300 HS camera. 

2 hours ago, cruiselvr04 said:

We like to unplug and leave them in the safe.  I’m not crazy about having to carry around a phone to read the menu.  I’d prefer a paper planner.  The last thing I want to do on a cruise is to read the news, look at Facebook.  Since we get a couple of free days of internet that’s plenty to check for an important email.  Unplugging is really important for the DH.  If he could be reached he’d have no vacation from work at all.  When we do land trips he’s worked many evenings.

We do listen to music or read books on kindles but it’s previously downloaded.

This is exactly how we handle it.

2 hours ago, WI-Cruiser said:

As Diamond we have two free days wifi between us.  We spread it out and only use it to check in on health and wellfare of family back home and maybe delete some of the junk email that has piled up.

Is that two days or WiFi or just two days internet access on the ship's computers? We do the same thing on the ship's computers but never thought of using the WiFi. 

I am someone who likes to stay connected. I like to share pictures of my adventures as they are happening, plus stay connected with my friends. My boyfriend cannot cruise due to a strong fear of being away from land, so this is how we are able to stay in touch. Also my other family members who cruise with us also get WiFi and we are able to connect with each other easily on the ship when we are apart. 

That all being said, I don't have my phone glued to my hand the entire cruise. I actually hate the idea of not seeing things as they are happening with my own eyes and instead seeing it all happen through a phone (example is when someone spends an entire concert watching it through their phone because of taking so many pictures and videos). 

I think it's just a personal choice for everyone. It's how I like to spend my time, and I understand others like to spend it without WiFi.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, matj2000 said:

Been on 24 voyages and never had WIFI ever.

You can get free WIFI in the ports and get anything need done.

I  once watched a family of 4 sitting next to us in the dining room, all spent the entire meal staring at there devices.   Even while eating.    They never spoke.

I see this a lot. Being "connected" seems to "disconnect" from family at times....

• Like 1

I kind of miss the days when the ship really did cut you off from everything.  However, I find myself enjoying having the free itnernet days with D+ and using those, mostly to uplaod my photos and then clear them off of my phone.

My kids (22 and 24, plus the 23 year old spouse of my oldest) all lock their phones in the safe all cruise long and LOVE having no access for the most part.  (the older one did do a job interview from a transatlantic a few years ago...and was glad to be able to get that done and have a summer job lined up to start the first day back home, but that was a special circumstance).

My 22 year old is annoyed that the increased relaince of RCI on their app might mean he needs to keep his phone on him on Harmony.

Edited by xxHadleyxx

1 hour ago, pstone1 said:

We started cruising because at that time, it was a vacation “out of reach” so we could really disconnect.  Now, although we do lock up our phones in the safe while on the ship, we occasionally use our free WiFI to check email and do a little work when we’re on long B2B cruises.

We do the same thing. We will use our free internet time on the ship's computers to check on things. Also good for checking in on flights or hotel stays etc...

50 minutes ago, davekathy said:

@2chiefsWe always stay disconnected. Even before retiring. We only take one phone with us and it's off before we get out of the cab at the cruise terminal and locked in the safe once we get to our cabin. I only use about 15 minutes of our C&A internet minutes on the last day to do our airline check in and print our boarding passes. All video and some pictures I take of our trips is done with a small Canon PowerShot ELPH 300 HS camera. 

Sounds like our typical cruise!!