Excursions

Rivieracruisers

We are considering the 2023 Explorer Grand Asia Exploration.  This will be our first experience with Regent, although we are seasoned cruisers. Excursions are included in all ports.   What are your experiences and comments about the cruise line's excursions.  Unlimited shore excursions are shown as part of our fare.  Does this mean we will be able to take as many as time permits in each port?  Thank you.

2 hours ago, Rivieracruisers said:

What are your experiences and comments about the cruise line's excursions. 

Rivieracruisers, my wife and I have, for the most part, been well satisfied with the variety and quality of Regent's included excursions.  Of course, YMMV.

1 hour ago, ronrick1943 said:

Simple answer isn yes, as long as you have the time.  Allowing enough time between the 1st and 2nd  tour.

This is true.  Theoretically.  My experience has been that the ports in which booking 2 excursions is possible is as rare as

hens-teeth.webp.9d1e640e59d19517cda3f2bbf7c7f147.webp

Bob

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, boblerm said:

Rivieracruisers, my wife and I have, for the most part, been well satisfied with the variety and quality of Regent's included excursions.  Of course, YMMV.

This is true.  Theoretically.  My experience has been that the ports in which booking 2 excursions is possible is as rare as

hens-teeth.webp.9d1e640e59d19517cda3f2bbf7c7f147.webp

Bob

I agree, but it can be done—-sometimes.

Reference Post #5:

Correct.   There is (or was) an automatic default in the on-line booking system which may-may preclude guests from same-day multi bookings.  The entrant is advised of insufficient time between tours.  This is situation-dependent on location of that particular Port; time of day; time of year, and so-on.

Another reason for Regent tweaking its on-line excursion booking procedures (and this goes back several years) is that guests were automatically booking several tours a day--with no actual intention of actually doing those excursions when the time came.  Result:  many excursions would fill-up prematurely months before actual sailing.  Frustrating.  

GOARMY!

We have had luck booking excursions that were closer than 90 minutes after we got on board. The excursion staff has a pretty good idea of whether you can make it or not. They have the discretion to issue you a ticket if they  think you will make it back from the first one in time. My advice: If you can’t book it ahead of time talk to the excursions staff when you get on board. 

• Like 5

We have been mostly pleased with the included excursions and a couple times did a Regent Choice because it included a place we really wanted to go to.

I have been able to book two excursions on one day twice and did this thru the online system.  I believe the first time you get to see the times of the various excursions are through the online system, so that should give you an indication of if it is possible to book two cruises.  I will know which of the two excursions I really want and book that one first.

Generally we have had very good luck with the excursions we have been on. Overall the tour guides have been really good and the buses not overly filled.  Once small group excursions were offered we started booking them as we like the smallest group we can get when we tour. 

Though theoreticaly you can take more than 1 excursion in a port my experience is that the timing of the excursions are such that there is not enough time between the morning excursions and the afternoon excursions. I believe Regent purposely schedules excursions so they don't meet their minimum standards to dissuade people from taking more than 1 excursion per day. 

I have not tried to go to Destination Services staff and ask them if they will allow us to take an excursion that didn't meet the posted time difference.  It didn't even occur to me to ask. I might test it in the future.  

I was just in the excursions function, and it is still so slow that I get a "page is not responding. do you want to cancel or wait" pop-up for every little action--even trying to get the drop-down list of ports to appear. Sometimes I have to hit "wait" multiple times. 

• Like 1