Passport renewal - how long

Hobar

Question: How long is it really taking for expedited passport renewal?
Facts:  My husband was completing info on-line for our upcoming Ovation holiday cruise end of this year.  Two weeks ago, he asks me for my passport.  I give it to him.  He looks and tells me it expired in June.  After freaking out, totally, I made appointment at U.S. Passport Acceptance Office.  First appointment I could get was September 17th.  I trusted it more than Post Office.  I’m told 10 to 12 weeks.  Anyone know if it could be longer than 12 weeks? Anyone want to go on a pre-paid cruise with my husband?

• Haha 1

I just renewed ours in June and freaked out when I saw the timelines go up and up. Thus  I obsessed and obsessed- here is what I learned-expedite from the start- I did not. If the time gets close and still no passport then you will need to call- at least for now-and get an appointment at a passport office- near you hopefully- and you can get passport same day.  Mine took about 4-5 weeks non-expedited- husbands took about the same when I expedited after the fact. Also I emailed them- several different addresses- repeatedly. That seemed to help. Good luck and do not give up.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bahalter said:

I just renewed ours in June and freaked out when I saw the timelines go up and up. Thus  I obsessed and obsessed- here is what I learned-expedite from the start- I did not. If the time gets close and still no passport then you will need to call- at least for now-and get an appointment at a passport office- near you hopefully- and you can get passport same day.  Mine took about 4-5 weeks non-expedited- husbands took about the same when I expedited after the fact. Also I emailed them- several different addresses- repeatedly. That seemed to help. Good luck and do not give up.

Thx so much.  You give me hope.  I did expedite and submitted at a “Passport Acceptance Office.”  Also included date of travel. 

Edited by Hobar

Good Morning:

According the the US State Dept regarding passports:

What to Expect:

• Effective September 23, routine service can take up to 16 weeks from the day an application is submittedto the day a new passport is received
  • Expedite service (for an additional $60) can take up to 12 weeks from the day an application is submittedto the day a new passport is received. These door-to-door timeframes include both our processing times and mailing times on the front and back end.

Link: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/get-fast/passport-agencies.html

• Like 1

Do check the status and see where it is located/being processed...you can look the location code up online. There are many Facebook groups dedicated to passports with many tips and ideas...but the best idea I found was to "plan" travel well before my actual departure date and buy a refundable ticket on Southwest or some other fully refundable ticket and then obtain an in person appointment 2 weeks before that (after allowing some time for processing of your application just in case). Then you can cancel your refundable ticket after your passport is in hand. This was how I consoled myself when I was a nervous wreck. Did not need to do it obviously but just an idea should things drag on too long!

• Like 1

Mine was expiring in January of 2022.  On August 16th of this year, I sent in my passport, overnight shipping and expeditedprocessing and return.  They recieved it on 08/19 (you can look online to get updates).  It was accepted on the13th of September and was told I'd receive it on the 19th.  I got it on the 17th, less than 1 month from when they got it and started processing it.  Good luck.

• Like 1