Restrictions in Italy

Englishjacq

6 hours ago, Cruizer Bill said:

Look at this from Azamara's "Explore Well at Sea Travel Requirements" !!!

WHAT TO EXPECT ON BOARDING DAY

Please wear your face mask at all times during the boarding process and maintain social distancing.

TESTING & SCREENING REQUIREMENTS

Pre-Arrival Testing

• Country Entry: Travelers arriving from Canada, Japan and USA must provide evidence of a negative result from a PCR test for SARS-CoV-2 that has been conducted within the 72 hours period before your arrival time in Italy. Proof of a negative molecular or antigen swab test is required. Children that are of age 5 and under are exempt from the pre-departure swab test. There currently is no requirement for testing prior to arrival for Israeli citizens. Isolation for 5 days and subsequent testing is required if travelers arrive without proof of a negative test.
  • Early Country Entry: If visiting Italy earlier, be sure to comply with the 72-hour time period or a second test may be required prior to boarding.
  • Boarding the Ship in Italy: An additional SARS-CoV-2 rapid test will be conducted upon arrival for guests 2 years of age or older.

Now, what do they mean when talking about Early Country Entry?  We will get our test on Sunday for a Tuesday flight, and arrive in Italy on Wednesday.  Our cruise starts on Saturday, we are tourists in Rome from Wednesday until Saturday morning.  I see Azamara will be testing us at the port.  Are they talking about some other testing requirement?  This is way too crazy!!!

At first I could not see what the problem was, but as I dissect :

"Travelers arriving from Canada, Japan and USA must provide evidence of a negative result from a PCR test for SARS-CoV-2 that has been conducted within the 72 hours period before your arrival time in Italy."

...it would make better sense and I think what it should say is within the 72 hours period prior to boarding, as is written further down :

If visiting Italy earlier, be sure to comply with the 72-hour time period (before boarding) or a second test may be required prior to boarding.

A proof reader may have made some improvement in the way information is presented.

I would contact Azamara directly for confirmation of requirements given your travel arrangements.

Enjoy your cruise!

10 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

I am on a Noble Caledonia cruise in the Med right now. We are calling on our first Italian port tomorrow. We have all had COVID tests done on board in preparation for entry into Italy. And today they announced that only ship tours are allowed in Italy.

Note:  Noble Caledonia includes all shore excursions in the cruise fare, and there are no optional or private tours for them to sell - so they have no incentive to lie about this.

Give Azamara some trust - they are following the rules they are getting direct from the Italian authorities. 

Thanks for the report and affirmation. Enjoy your cruise!

Phil 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Looks like they have tidied up the wording on the Italy protocols which hopefully removes some of the confusion re tests

Screenshot 2021-09-23 at 11.02.35.png

The reference to early entry has been removed

Edited by uktog
  • Like 2

Another Update !!!!!!

Just checked the Azamara web page (https://www.azamara.com/booked-guests/before-you-board/explore-well-at-sea/explore-well-travel-requirements), and it now says -

SHORE EXCURSIONS

Views on independent exploration by international visitors vary by country and by departure port. This remains a very fluid situation. Guests visiting an Italian port will be able to go ashore either on an Azamara shore excursion or independently, at their leisure. All guests must follow local health and safety requirements.

Whoo-hoo! Looks like we don't have to change our plans!

The UK site says otherwise if I follow your link 🙂

GOING ASHORE IN ITALY

• At present, Italy mandates that fully vaccinated guests can go ashore on an Azamara shore excursion only. We offer a variety of curated small-group and private excursions that comply with Azamara’s health and safety measures. You may be denied reboarding or may be debarked from your cruise if you leave your tour group for any reason. Shuttle services are not permitted. Our shore excursions are available to book on-line by logging into your Voyage Planner or through one of our Destination Insiders who can create a customized Private Journey for you. Museums and other cultural institutions are open. All guests over 12 years of age must follow local health and safety requirements and must show the COVID-19 digital green certificate/proof of vaccination at the entrance. 

1 hour ago, uktog said:

Looks like they have tidied up the wording on the Italy protocols which hopefully removes some of the confusion re tests

Screenshot 2021-09-23 at 11.02.35.png

The reference to early entry has been removed

We are on a cruise embarking in Greece (Nov 6 Journey) that first stops in Italy on day 12. I am assuming that Azamara will give us the appropriate 72 hr test onboard and that we can fill in PLF while onboard.  I am planning on doing what is required to get to Greece and board the ship and then let Azamara guide us through the rest. Is there a flaw in that plan?

2 minutes ago, floridafolks said:

We are on a cruise embarking in Greece (Nov 6 Journey) that first stops in Italy on day 12. I am assuming that Azamara will give us the appropriate 72 hr test onboard and that we can fill in PLF while onboard.  I am planning on doing what is required to get to Greece and board the ship and then let Azamara guide us through the rest. Is there a flaw in that plan?

I would say no flaw at all, I would see it as being just like any cruise where you are taken to countries that have different entry requirements

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Kitekat said:

I do wonder how curated excursions are supposed to work when Azamara are offering ' [.... choose city name] on your own' where you are driven to said city and dropped off for the day...

Exactly! They offer an excursion to Explore Taormina on Your Own. It hasn't been cancelled. Also, many guided tours indicate that you can walk around on your own. 

3 hours ago, LT Hambone said:

Annnnddddd......

Yup - it's back to what it used to say.

I'm tellin' it DID say it, it DID say it! I'm not makin' this stuff up! I am NOT crazy!

Sigh.....

It didn't go anywhere. The proofreader is on vacation. There are two sections mentioning shore excursions:

GOING ASHORE, near the top of the page, says cruise line excursions only.

SHORE EXCURSIONS, near the bottom of the page, says either ship excursions or independent tours.

Someone is cutting and pasting, instead of understanding the rules and just writing in a coherent fashion. And, the proofreader (if there is one) isn't paying attention. While I usually overlook gaping errors in documentation, this is a situation where someone will see the description on the bottom and it will cost them money and/or other horrors!

Oh my brain has been hurting for weeks before this due to another topic we have been following closely - which countries are to be changed to UK Amber list (from red) and why once changed the travel advice hasn't.

Just totally confused... I need a holiday!

• Haha 2

I've said it before, I'll say it again. Oggi si, domani no, dopo domani, forsei.  I have little to no doubt that we will be able to go ashore independently. The Italian government has its rules and regulations for travel to Italy. They apparently have NO knowledge of these restrictions on independent travel, which apply to several cruise lines. Someone who has access to editing the Aza web site changed the wording to allowing independent travel, which subsequently reverted back. We depart on October 9, more than enough time for this apparently arbitrary decision to change multiple times over. As we used to say before taking our oral exams in Italy, "In culo della balena", an odd perversion of the proper endearing term of good luck, "In boca lupo". The latter translates as "In the mouth of a wolf", referring to your hand. No, I'm not translating the other, more appropriate expression I just posted.

EDIT:  It is 1:55PM EDT in Atlanta. I have just gone back into the Azamara web site. The copy and paste Lt Hambone posted 6 hours ago IS STILL PRESENT on Azamara's web site, further down the page. It has NOT been removed. Technically, as of now and according to their web site WE CAN travel independently. (Oggi si!) What will be tomorrow and on boarding day remains to be seen. The issue is not over. I'm betting that this decision was made by ships' insurers, it was arbitrary, and that there is a hell of a lot of flack being given to several cruise lines. Just a hunch. Prosecco, anyone?

Edited by Dr H
update
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Dr H said:

I've said it before, I'll say it again. Oggi si, domani no, dopo domani, forsei.  I have little to no doubt that we will be able to go ashore independently. The Italian government has its rules and regulations for travel to Italy. They apparently have NO knowledge of these restrictions on independent travel, which apply to several cruise lines. Someone who has access to editing the Aza web site changed the wording to allowing independent travel, which subsequently reverted back. We depart on October 9, more than enough time for this apparently arbitrary decision to change multiple times over. As we used to say before taking our oral exams in Italy, "In culo della balena", an odd perversion of the proper endearing term of good luck, "In boca lupo". The latter translates as "In the mouth of a wolf", referring to your hand. No, I'm not translating the other, more appropriate expression I just posted.

EDIT:  It is 1:55PM EDT in Atlanta. I have just gone back into the Azamara web site. The copy and paste Lt Hambone posted 6 hours ago IS STILL PRESENT on Azamara's web site, further down the page. It has NOT been removed. Technically, as of now and according to their web site WE CAN travel independently. (Oggi si!) What will be tomorrow and on boarding day remains to be seen. The issue is not over. I'm betting that this decision was made by ships' insurers, it was arbitrary, and that there is a hell of a lot of flack being given to several cruise lines. Just a hunch. Prosecco, anyone?

Have you read this well informed post by Huntingdon?

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, LT Hambone said:

Quick question for the group at large -

Has anybody called Azamara yet and asked them why the web page is saying two different things?

My guess is, it’s because the web pages are created by humans and humans sometimes make mistakes. 

For my part, I’ll be preparing for the more restrictive and hoping it doesn’t come to pass. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Jim in OR said:

My guess is, it’s because the web pages are created by humans and humans sometimes make mistakes. 

For my part, I’ll be preparing for the more restrictive and hoping it doesn’t come to pass. 

Same with me - I did book Azamara excursions as a back-up, but - I have two tours I booked on my own that will need to be cancelled in the next few weeks for a full refund. Don't want to hit a scenario where I cancel my own tours only to find out I could have gone on them!

I am still staying optimistic, and refuse to do otherwise!

The Italian regulation about this is here and it came out on March 2, 2021:

https://www.gazzettaufficiale.it/eli/id/2021/03/02/21A01331/sg

The relevant passage is:  5. Gli scali sono consentiti solo negli Stati e  territori  di  cui
agli elenchi A, B e C dell'allegato 20 e sono vietate  le  escursioni
libere, per le quali i servizi della crociera  non  possono  adottare
specifiche misure di prevenzione dal contagio. 

It essentially says walking ashore on your own is prohibited, unless the cruise ship can put in place specific measures ie runs its own bubble excursions. (According to google translate)

Someone in the NCL forum dug this up, not me. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Huntingdon1701 said:

The Italian regulation about this is here and it came out on March 2, 2021:

https://www.gazzettaufficiale.it/eli/id/2021/03/02/21A01331/sg

The relevant passage is:  5. Gli scali sono consentiti solo negli Stati e  territori  di  cui
agli elenchi A, B e C dell'allegato 20 e sono vietate  le  escursioni
libere, per le quali i servizi della crociera  non  possono  adottare
specifiche misure di prevenzione dal contagio. 

It essentially says walking ashore on your own is prohibited, unless the cruise ship can put in place specific measures ie runs its own bubble excursions. (According to google translate)

Someone in the NCL forum dug this up, not me. 

Thanks very much, Huntingdon.  I called Azamara again to ask why they're offering "own your own" excursions for our Livorno port overnight and they couldn't explain.  That in combination with the unclear documentation on their website (that appears to have been fixed now), explains why some of us are so confused and frustrated.  It is what it is.    

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Solar Yellow said:

Thanks very much, Huntingdon.  I called Azamara again to ask why they're offering "own your own" excursions for our Livorno port overnight and they couldn't explain.  That in combination with the unclear documentation on their website (that appears to have been fixed now), explains why some of us are so confused and frustrated.  It is what it is.    

I would think, much like all of us, they are holding out hope that the rules will change by the time we sail next month.

I cannot imagine the pressure these people are under, trying to keep up with the ever changing rules and trying to keep all of us informed. And then being belittled by some because their efforts aren’t perfect.  Sad

• Like 7

3 hours ago, laurieb said:

I would think, much like all of us, they are holding out hope that the rules will change by the time we sail next month.

I cannot imagine the pressure these people are under, trying to keep up with the ever changing rules and trying to keep all of us informed. And then being belittled by some because their efforts aren’t perfect.  Sad

Well said Laurie 

I saw first hand how hard they were working last week to get solutions 

I saw crew who have not been off ship for four months getting on with things and being so positive and cheerful.

Belittling efforts and the pontification by some makes me sad and angry.

Yes, it’s not clear, yes it’s maybe not what you want (we had issues too with communication) but constantly challenging what is being said isn’t going to improve or change anything.

Time to sit back and wait or cancel and rebook 

• Like 7

8 hours ago, laurieb said:

Spot on Laurie. I see from your roll calls that as usual, the armchair experts are out in force trying to prove they know more than everyone else. Bottom line, if Azamara can let you off on your own, they will and this might come down to local negotiations by the staff on the ship and at short notice. If they can't then they can't. And to those who kick up a stink about it on the ship, careful how far you go because you might find your cruise is a lot shorter than you planned. 

Just as an added piece of information, I have a friend on Harmony of the Seas at the moment. They are in Italy and have to do ship tours, but some on a tour in Rome thought they knew better and went off on their own. They were reported to the police and didn't make it back to the tour bus. Nice end to their tour. The Carabinieri are pretty scary. They carry guns. 

Phil 

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, excitedofharpenden said:

Spot on Laurie. I see from your roll calls that as usual, the armchair experts are out in force trying to prove they know more than everyone else. Bottom line, if Azamara can let you off on your own, they will and this might come down to local negotiations by the staff on the ship and at short notice. If they can't then they can't. And to those who kick up a stink about it on the ship, careful how far you go because you might find your cruise is a lot shorter than you planned. 

Just as an added piece of information, I have a friend on Harmony of the Seas at the moment. They are in Italy and have to do ship tours, but some on a tour in Rome thought they knew better and went off on their own. They were reported to the police and didn't make it back to the tour bus. Nice end to their tour. The Carabinieri are pretty scary. They carry guns. 

Phil 

I also see there were some escapees in Sorrento today - what is it with some people - oh wait, they know best........

• Like 3