American Queen still docked in NOLA

willift

So we're getting excited about sailing on the Queen next week Memphis to New Orleans. I looked on 2 different ship tacking apps and American Queen is still showing itself moored in New Orleans. It should have left port Monday and be well on her way by Tuesday evening.  Anybody have any insight on why it's not heading North?

16 hours ago, willift said:

So we're getting excited about sailing on the Queen next week Memphis to New Orleans. I looked on 2 different ship tacking apps and American Queen is still showing itself moored in New Orleans. It should have left port Monday and be well on her way by Tuesday evening.  Anybody have any insight on why it's not heading North?

You are correct. We are on board right now, and we’re finally underway after a 28- hour delay. We were told it was due to a problem with the generator. 

The itinerary has been altered. We now have two River days instead of one. We are skipping Vicksburg completely. Shore Excursions people are desperately trying to revise schedules. And most significantly, we are now disembarking in Tunica, and they are busing us to Memphis on the last day. I would imagine this has implications for the September 27 cruise. 

I will try to keep updating, internet permitting. 

1 hour ago, LDVinNC said:

American Queen Steamboat Company.  4 boats: American Queen, American Countess, American Duchess and American Empress.  Or am I missing one?

I’m not seeing that cruise line on CC like I do the other ones. Thinking about booking a November cruise., would like more information though. Dinner dress code….what is included, etc.

3 hours ago, midwestchick said:

I’m not seeing that cruise line on CC like I do the other ones. Thinking about booking a November cruise., would like more information though. Dinner dress code….what is included, etc.

You are currently posting in the American Queen Steamboat Company (AQSC) board. This is where you should find answers. 

Dinner dress code (at least on the Duchess last month) is pretty casual - shorts about the only thing not allowed in the dining room.

Pretty inclusive amenities including an open bar for standard drinks.

5 hours ago, Frncie said:

You are correct. We are on board right now, and we’re finally underway after a 28- hour delay. We were told it was due to a problem with the generator. 

The itinerary has been altered. We now have two River days instead of one. We are skipping Vicksburg completely. Shore Excursions people are desperately trying to revise schedules. And most significantly, we are now disembarking in Tunica, and they are busing us to Memphis on the last day. I would imagine this has implications for the September 27 cruise. 

I will try to keep updating, internet permitting. 

Thanks, I see you're coming up on Baton Rouge. We've sailed on the American Queen before and they do a good job of itinerary adjustment. They've got the buses to get you to the boats so that's good, might have to change our plans in Memphis Monday morning. Any updates will be welcome.

5 hours ago, midwestchick said:

5 hours ago, midwestchick said:

American Queen Steamboat Company is different from American Cruise Company. We have sailed on a number of American Queen Steamboat Company sailings and they all have turned out enjoyable. Relatively casual dress code, food and service has been great, Daily tours and enrichment type presentation, entertainment during the evening, and kind of an open bar set up. The population demographic is definitely older 60+ probably average at 70, but if you don't mind older people you'll be welcomed and do just fine at any age. It's not inexpensive but we have found it a good value

• Like 1

On 9/22/2021 at 4:34 PM, willift said:

American Queen Steamboat Company is different from American Cruise Company. We have sailed on a number of American Queen Steamboat Company sailings and they all have turned out enjoyable. Relatively casual dress code, food and service has been great, Daily tours and enrichment type presentation, entertainment during the evening, and kind of an open bar set up. The population demographic is definitely older 60+ probably average at 70, but if you don't mind older people you'll be welcomed and do just fine at any age. It's not inexpensive but we have found it a good value

Thanks for the information. I’m seriously considering booking.

On 9/22/2021 at 2:45 PM, TinCan782 said:

You are currently posting in the American Queen Steamboat Company (AQSC) board. This is where you should find answers. 

Dinner dress code (at least on the Duchess last month) is pretty casual - shorts about the only thing not allowed in the dining room.

Pretty inclusive amenities including an open bar for standard drinks.

Thank you. I’m thinking about booking a November river cruise.  This would be totally new for us.

• Like 1

On 9/22/2021 at 6:01 PM, Frncie said:

This is a beautiful section of the River and the weather this afternoon is gorgeous. 

The Upper Mississippi, and the entire Ohio, Cumberland, and Tennessee are for more beautiful than the Lower Mississippi. Hopefully, one day soon you'll book a trip on the Upper Miss  or other rivers.

I see from cruisemapper that the Queen is currently in Vicksburg. Good for them. On our northbound cruise last week, we had to skip Vicksburg, Nottoway, and Greenville due to a 28-hour delay departing New Orleans. Replacement portable generator finally allowed us to get started. 

7A507751-59CA-4321-AA15-1447244819CD.thumb.jpeg.22d1c79d95acd8e5ea239d14e526b6c2.jpeg

Between the Covid-19 onboard, the missing ports, the seedy New Orleans hotel, the disastrous disembarkation in Tunica (a couple dozen people missed their flights due to hours-long delays), I would never dream of booking another cruise with this company, no matter where, when or how. 

(Edited to add: One more thing. They lied to us. They told us we could not dock in Vicksburg because of low water levels. Amazing how that water level could have improved so much in less than a week that they are docked there today! The communication on this trip was disgraceful. I wonder what else they lied about.)

Everyone onboard the September 20 cruise should have gotten 100% refund. 

Edited by Frncie
Addition

2 hours ago, Frncie said:

I see from cruisemapper that the Queen is currently in Vicksburg. Good for them. On our northbound cruise last week, we had to skip Vicksburg, Nottoway, and Greenville due to a 28-hour delay departing New Orleans. Replacement portable generator finally allowed us to get started. 

7A507751-59CA-4321-AA15-1447244819CD.thumb.jpeg.22d1c79d95acd8e5ea239d14e526b6c2.jpeg

Between the Covid-19 onboard, the missing ports, the seedy New Orleans hotel, the disastrous disembarkation in Tunica (a couple dozen people missed their flights due to hours-long delays), I would never dream of booking another cruise with this company, no matter where, when or how. 

(Edited to add: One more thing. They lied to us. They told us we could not dock in Vicksburg because of low water levels. Amazing how that water level could have improved so much in less than a week that they are docked there today! The communication on this trip was disgraceful. I wonder what else they lied about.)

What New Orleans hotel did you stay at?  Now I’m concerned about AQSC

2 hours ago, Frncie said:

I have read your comments and those from other media sources about your recent trip on the AMERICAN QUEEN. It truly does sound as if the river cruise you were promised and paid for was far from the experience you, and others expected.  I have not read anywhere though that there was a covid  outbreak onboard as you mentioned.  How was that handled by the company ? I'd be interested in hearing about that, and I'm sure others would too.

I would like to educate you so that  you might like to rethink what you wrote about the ability of the boat to head up the Yazoo River to land at Vicksburg. First of all I have no connection to the American Queen Steamboat Co. other than being a past passenger and having friends whom work on the their boats. My great grandfather was a steamboat captain, and my father a steamboat chief engineer, but were deceased before The American Queen Steamboat Company ever existed. I too have worked on the river, but not for this company.  I do though have more of an understanding of the rivers ways than the average person or passenger on one of the riverboats. Your claim that the water could not have risen enough in less than a week to allow the AMERICAN QUEEN to land at Vicksburg is patently wrong. The water could rise in hours or conversely drop in a short period of time. They did not lie to you nor anyone else when they told you that. I've seen the water in the normally placid Ohio River come up over six feet in less than three hours in Cincinnati Harbor during the city's last Tall Stacks Celebration. At Marietta, Ohio, after Hurricane Ivan came up the Ohio River valley I witnessed the river rise from near pool stage to the highest recent flood overnight. In less than 24 hours the main streets of that town were covered by not inches but feet of Ohio and Muskingum River water. The rise on the lower Mississippi River can even be more dramatic without the locks & dams that are on the Ohio, Upper Mississippi, and other tributaries.  There are many factors that can determine the stage of water at the Vicksburg landing that come into play. I won't bore you with all of those, but do understand when they do come into play it can be feast or famine for any boat's crew to deal with safely and wisely.

1 hour ago, midwestchick said:

I apologize. “Seedy” was probably an overstatement. We are still reeling. 

This was the Hilton Riverside. There are other Hilton properties in New Orleans, but the Riverside is where we spent two nights. The first night we booked independently through Priceline. The second night was part of the AQSC booking. 

As for the hotel itself, there were problems. There was one elevator where you could get in, push a button, the door closes, and nothing happens. It got to be a running joke. The only food service was an understocked Starbucks in the lobby. Housekeeping only if you request it (they do not tell you this when you check in). Our first room had an unbearable roaring noise coming from the bathroom fan that could not be turned off. They moved us. Our second room featured a domestic dispute in the room next door with yelling, pounding on the walls and doors, throwing furniture, etc. After several calls, hotel security finally showed up. I will say, however, that the AQSC breakfast buffet on Monday was outstanding. Too bad nothing like that was available the rest of the time. 

The other problem with the Hilton Riverside did not affect us, but we heard about it from numerous people on board the Queen later in the week. Multiple groups, including some as large as 24, were notified on very short notice that the reservations they had booked months earlier for Wednesday through Saturday were just abruptly cancelled. No reason given. No alternatives offered. The fact that our booking was through Priceline seems to have made the difference for us, but a lot of people were left scrambling at the last minute. 

Hopefully these problems are temporary. Good luck!

4 hours ago, Frncie said:

I apologize. “Seedy” was probably an overstatement. We are still reeling. 

This was the Hilton Riverside. There are other Hilton properties in New Orleans, but the Riverside is where we spent two nights. The first night we booked independently through Priceline. The second night was part of the AQSC booking. 

As for the hotel itself, there were problems. There was one elevator where you could get in, push a button, the door closes, and nothing happens. It got to be a running joke. The only food service was an understocked Starbucks in the lobby. Housekeeping only if you request it (they do not tell you this when you check in). Our first room had an unbearable roaring noise coming from the bathroom fan that could not be turned off. They moved us. Our second room featured a domestic dispute in the room next door with yelling, pounding on the walls and doors, throwing furniture, etc. After several calls, hotel security finally showed up. I will say, however, that the AQSC breakfast buffet on Monday was outstanding. Too bad nothing like that was available the rest of the time. 

The other problem with the Hilton Riverside did not affect us, but we heard about it from numerous people on board the Queen later in the week. Multiple groups, including some as large as 24, were notified on very short notice that the reservations they had booked months earlier for Wednesday through Saturday were just abruptly cancelled. No reason given. No alternatives offered. The fact that our booking was through Priceline seems to have made the difference for us, but a lot of people were left scrambling at the last minute. 

Hopefully these problems are temporary. Good luck!

Whoa!  I believe that is where we are staying. What did those couples do who were canceled?  How was the day of the cruise and the tour they provided.  

On 9/29/2021 at 3:58 PM, midwestchick said:

We’re on the Queen. We boarded in Tunica and they were hours behind schedule. Manpower and lack of Good Management seems to be the main issue Late seating Dinner has started after 8pm and we haven’t been out before 10:30 yet. Front Porch got closed down on Tues/Wed middle of the day Something Covidy is happen the Crew is wearing mandated masks. I would NOT  book a Cruise this year after this experience and I’d look at the Covid rules for a way to get refund. l have been a big fan of American Queen and bragged their praises and now I’m embarrassed by the product. 

55 minutes ago, willift said:

We’re on the Queen. We boarded in Tunica and they were hours behind schedule. Manpower and lack of Good Management seems to be the main issue Late seating Dinner has started after 8pm and we haven’t been out before 10:30 yet. Front Porch got closed down on Tues/Wed middle of the day Something Covidy is happen the Crew is wearing mandated masks. I would NOT  book a Cruise this year after this experience and I’d look at the Covid rules for a way to get refund. l have been a big fan of American Queen and bragged their praises and now I’m embarrassed by the product. 

We are boarding the Queen in 10 days or so and I am very disappointed to hear your report. They are not allowing any changes without the cancellation charge of $500 per person. We tried as I am not that comfortable yet with the idea of traveling.

As they have already had my money for well over a year I don't understand why we couldn't switch dates.

To add to my hesitancy the hotel we have booked in New Orleans (Hyatt Centric French Quarter) for 3 nights is scheduled to reopen on October 15 and we arrive October 18. Again, they won't let us cancel our reservation. I sure hope they reopen on time as this is the third reopening date they have announced.

Going to make the best of the trip but I hope things calm down with Covid.

5 hours ago, willift said:

As we just disembarked in Tunica on Monday, I’m interested in reading your reports!

Tunica was a mess for us too. Everyone was supposed to vacate their cabins by 7:30 AM and wait in the Saloon for their bus number to be called. We did so. Trouble was, the boat was late docking (again!), and even after they arrived they just couldn’t seem to maneuver into position so they could tie up properly. That took another hour or more, and they were finally able to unload the luggage, and then gradually the passengers, but the first buses didn’t leave the dock for Memphis until about 10:00 AM. It was another hour’s drive to the airport, and at least a couple dozen people missed their flights. 

I’m very surprised to hear about closing the Front Porch cafe on Deck 3. That was a very popular alternative for many, with the round-the-clock popcorn and ice cream. Perhaps the self-serve aspect was considered a no-no by the CDC. I hope the service in the dining room improves for you. 

I posted elsewhere about the 2 passengers with positive Covid-19 tests that were put off, along with their spouses and at least two crew members, in the middle of the night on Wednesday somewhere in northern Mississippi. Our butler Adam was one. This was finally explained by the Captain FOUR DAYS LATER in a 60-second announcement. In the interval, the crew started masking up, but the passengers were left completely in the dark. This demographic was definitely high-risk. 

Here’s a random question for you: Is the Rent-a-Generator still lashed to the deck on the bow? 😐

Generator is still there, on the bright side it’s not an eyesore because the Frontporch is closed to all food service, so we’re not out there much.

Dinner went faster tonight but it was under heated buffet style not what I paid for

I think if you answer YES to the precruise health Questioner they will deny boarding and refund your money. Look at the Cruise With Confidence Protocols Addendum not a lawyer but that’s the way it looks to me.

They are not ready to provide the quality product they sold to everyone