Cocktail prices vs bev pkg

sofietucker

Being new to O, we are trying to decide on bev pkg vs bringing a bunch of wine and ordering a couple of predinner cocktails. On other lines, we just get the premium/ultimate bev package (since they limit the wine you can bring aboard and no booze).Can anyone give us a ballpark on say, a top shelf margarita? Thanks.

On O its easy to bring onboard 6+ bottles of wine at imbarkation. Some posters will tell you they bring on a case (probably a longer cruise). This can be replenished at ports along the way. Important to note that consumption is for in cabin ONLY, unless a corkage fee of $25 is paid. In which case that bottle can be consumed in any restaurant but not in a bar. 
On the second night of the cruise, there will be a Captain’s happy hour (did I get the name right?) for a good 3 hours, so drinks are free then and servers are available. 
So, some pax use a strategy of bringing some wine on board, enjoying free happy hour on second night, and waiting until day 3 to decide whether to purchase (or upgrade if applicable) a bev package. 
Important to note that all non alcoholic beverages are FREE!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, PhD-iva said:

On O its easy to bring onboard 6+ bottles of wine at imbarkation. Some posters will tell you they bring on a case (probably a longer cruise). This can be replenished at ports along the way. Important to note that consumption is for in cabin ONLY, unless a corkage fee of $25 is paid. In which case that bottle can be consumed in any restaurant but not in a bar. 
On the second night of the cruise, there will be a Captain’s happy hour (did I get the name right?) for a good 3 hours, so drinks are free then and servers are available. 
So, some pax use a strategy of bringing some wine on board, enjoying free happy hour on second night, and waiting until day 3 to decide whether to purchase (or upgrade if applicable) a bev package. 

The 6 bottle limit on the O website is a company CYA statement. We usually bring a case at embarkation and replenish in ports along the way. We’ve never had an issue nor do we know of anyone else who has had an issue with more than 6 bottles.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, PhD-iva said:

Captain’s “welcome” is usually not until the first sea day.

10 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Well I would disagree. It's been my experience that it is usually the second day of the cruise, regardless of port or sea day. Perhaps you're thinking of the repeaters party? That is usually on a sea day. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Captain’s welcome, is as our PHD replied, most typically on the 2nd night of the cruise. Been on multiple cruises where the first sea day wasn’t until day 7 or 8.

There are ZERO fixed rules on this issue. The big nada. For those continuing to claim they bring alcohol, particularly wine, aboard at the various ports, I’d love for them to enlighten us on the wines they procured in Vietnam, Thailand, and Indian. Ever visit most Muslim countries, buy much wine there? Also please don’t leave out the part on how high the prices/taxes were on those bottles you procured in the Baltic, particularly in Norway. Prices there even make O prices look cheap!

Absolutely, in some countries, on some itineraries, we love buying and enjoying great local wines and bringing them aboard. However, it is extremely itinerary specific, and outlandish claims that it’s possible at every port or cruise is wrong. This goes along with the constant claims of the near mythical $199 OLife ship tours which may or may not exist on any cruise.

For quite a few of the itineraries one must closely evaluate the various drinks packages to determine which best meets their needs. Even though we prefer private shore tours, we must likewise consider ship tours, in many small ports, with undeveloped tourist infrastructure. 

There are no “ one size fits all” solutions when sailing the world and visiting the diverse cultures. Anyone that claims they always do so and so is blowing smoke. Other than the one’s that don’t drink and rarely go ashore, that is? 😂

Edited by pinotlover
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, ORV said:

Well I would disagree. It's been my experience that it is usually the second day of the cruise, regardless of port or sea day. Perhaps you're thinking of the repeaters party? That is usually on a sea day. 

Of course, it varies with the itinerary. We’ve experienced the “welcome” on the second day (sea day or not), first sea day (for some reason, many of our past cruises have been at sea on day 2). In any case, I’ve seldom seen them on a second day where the ship was in port until the evening.

4 hours ago, pinotlover said:

Also please don’t leave out the part on how high the prices/taxes were on those bottles you procured in the Baltic, particularly in Norway. Prices there even make O prices look cheap!

On and off ship the prices for wine on our Norwegian cruise were really, really high.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, PhD-iva said:

Great--and a very helpful link; thanks! (Haven't seen a pink squirrel on a bar menu in a looonng time, lol)

I really enjoy fine wine and do not mind paying for it. Pigs will fly before I lug heavy cases of wine around on top of the already too much luggage we have when boarding a ship. Not worth it to me. The ship may not have exactly what I want but I can make do and sometimes make new discoveries. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, mexicobob said:

I really enjoy fine wine and do not mind paying for it. Pigs will fly before I lug heavy cases of wine around on top of the already too much luggage we have when boarding a ship. Not worth it to me. The ship may not have exactly what I want but I can make do and sometimes make new discoveries. 

No need to “lug.”

For example, in cities like Sydney or London, Lisbon or Miami, etc., we preorder what we want from trusted wine shops and have it delivered to the pre-Cruise hotel. We transfer the wine to collapsible cardboard carriers we’ve collected from nearby wineries at home. They are only a few ounces each and easily carried in checked baggage. At the pier, we can add them (name, ship and cabin clearly visible and Oceania luggage tag attached) to our bags taken by the stevedore OR just bungee a six pack to each of our short rollaboards (total package less than most folks’ regular 19” rollaboards). 

The boxes serve also serve as under bed storage/carriers in ports where we may buy wine and we toss them at the end of the cruise.

F7EDA3D1-4130-4A7D-96F8-C358691B5E47.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, shepherd really said:

Are "rollaboards" what the cool kids now call carry-ons?

Travel much? Rollaboard is the trade name used for the original standard carry-on used by flight crews: TRAVELPRO 

https://travelpro.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIqt2lkcuV8wIVFh6tBh0t_g-5EAAYASAAEgLBYvD_BwE&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIqt2lkcuV8wIVFh6tBh0t_g-5EAAYASAAEgLBYvD_BwE

Scroll through the modern website and you’ll still see the term used.

41 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Travel much? Rollaboard is the trade name used for the original standard carry-on used by flight crews: TRAVELPRO 

https://travelpro.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIqt2lkcuV8wIVFh6tBh0t_g-5EAAYASAAEgLBYvD_BwE&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIqt2lkcuV8wIVFh6tBh0t_g-5EAAYASAAEgLBYvD_BwE

Scroll through the modern website and you’ll still see the term used.

Attitude much? That's like calling a refrigerator a Frigidaire and thinking you have some slick inside knowledge. 

• Like 1

Flew Brussels Airlines a couple years back. They were actually tremendous, and the easiest boarding I’ve done in years. Maximum carry-on weight was 7 kg. One carry on and one hand held item only. Everything was weighed. Anything/Everything else had to be checked . Carry on was then given a colored tag, with the color changing daily. If you tried to board without the tag,  the item was taken and gate checked. Cost of gate checking: 100 Euros.

Came time to board, everything went quickly and smoothly with ample room in the overheads or under one’s seat for carry on.  That’s the way all the airlines should do it! They are part of Star Alliance and I prefer them to UA or Lufthansa.

• Thanks 1

On 9/21/2021 at 7:53 PM, PhD-iva said:

My favorite drink, sitting by the pool in the am is Virgin Pina Colada..as you can tell I am not much of a drinker but that is yum and also complimentary..

Jancruz1

• Like 4

2 hours ago, pinotlover said:

Flew Brussels Airlines a couple years back. They were actually tremendous, and the easiest boarding I’ve done in years. Maximum carry-on weight was 7 kg. One carry on and one hand held item only. Everything was weighed. Anything/Everything else had to be checked . Carry on was then given a colored tag, with the color changing daily. If you tried to board without the tag,  the item was taken and gate checked. Cost of gate checking: 100 Euros.

Came time to board, everything went quickly and smoothly with ample room in the overheads or under one’s seat for carry on.  That’s the way all the airlines should do it! They are part of Star Alliance and I prefer them to UA or Lufthansa.

I still have the goal to be Czarina of the Universe and for years and years I've said that my first edict will be to do away with overhead bins. It either goes under your seat or you check it. This is caused by all the people who abuse the privilege. My carryon is now a bag that is guaranteed to fit under a typical seat if necessary.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, shepherd really said:

Since I don't stalk flight crews I will beg forgiveness for my abject ignorance of their luggage habits.  

No need to stalk. Next time you see a member of a flight crew traversing an airport, just glance at their rollaboard. In many cases, it will be a TravelPro (years ago, they’d all be Travelpro).

And you are forgiven- but just this one time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, clo said:

I still have the goal to be Czarina of the Universe and for years and years I've said that my first edict will be to do away with overhead bins. It either goes under your seat or you check it. This is caused by all the people who abuse the privilege. My carryon is now a bag that is guaranteed to fit under a typical seat if necessary.

Praise the Lord and Halleluiah. Hope you make it to Czarina.