American Harmony on the Columbia 9/21/2021

lax19

• 1 month later...

This was a wonderful experience! We "defaulted" to this cruise because we cancelled an overseas river cruise out of covid concerns...and much to our surprise, every aspect of this trip was as well planned, pleasant and rewarding as we have experienced in Europe. The scenery was spectacular; the excursions interesting; the historian's lectures excellent. The food was good with interesting choices; I have an allergy to onion (unfortunately) and every effort was made to provide onion-free meals and seasonings. We enjoyed this experience so much that we booked a roundtrip New Orleans cruise on the Mississippi for November.

8 hours ago, twototravel said:

I think ACL is putting their best crews on the newer ships. I'm still reading on various forums that issues remain on some of the older ships.

That has been my thinking as well.  Our excellent September cruise on the Melody bears this out. BUT...in July we took the New England Islands trip on the Star (one of their smallest and oldest ships), and were surprised to discover that ship too was well staffed, well trained, and with a galley crew that delivered excellent food fast.  So still haven't figured out what determines one cruise will be marginal and another excellent.