Moon substituted for Dawn - my TA just sent to me

bitob

On 9/23/2021 at 4:31 AM, Observer said:

But isn't it the case that the Moon Asian itinerary would have been cancelled in any case because of the COVID situation in that part of the world?

In many ways, this would appear to be a situation entirely beyond Silversea's control. 

Though all the Asian countries have less covid cases per million population than the USA.On our Singapore to Athens cruise the only country that has a higher number of cases per million than the USA is Israel.

This is India's graph.But they have a population of 1.2 billion.About 32000 cases per day.

image.png.0c172679bc35d7d5a1cc1fdd2386931b.png

Now here is the USA.About 130000 cases per day.

image.png.b8d4aff1e0b1abfde3587f285e1c9faa.png

As a booked passenger on Silver Moon, for a trip from Mumbai to Dubai in 2022,, I am p*ss*d off. Paid in full and this is the second cancelled cruise that we’ve booked. Have to go through all the hassle of getting another refund.   As much as I love the company this repetitive theme is becoming a bit boring and they might be losing not only my mine but other people’s loyalty for booking future cruises. Feels a bit like robbing Peter to pay Paul.  whilst I’m happy for the Silver Dawn booked passengers not everybody can conveniently change holidays taken.

20 hours ago, Voyager123 said:

As much as I love the company this repetitive theme is becoming a bit boring and they might be losing not only my mine but other people’s loyalty for booking future cruises.

But you do realize that all the other cruise lines are canceling just as many cruises, don't you? 

• Like 4

I am new to this forum. But it has proven essential because I had--until just now--thought that I would be travelling from Phuket to Mumbai in February 2022 on the Muse. It may well be that my February 2022 cruise had to be cancelled for COVID reasons, but it sure would be nice if SS had the communications skills to let people like me know. Not just a matter of courtesy but also because those who don't check cruisecritic daily (or near daily) will not have this information. And they may be booking hotels, planning a post-cruise visit to Agra (like my brother and his girlfriend whom I talked into coming with me on this one.). Ms. Muckerman starts her emails with "Dear Esteemed Guest" but I must confess that I am not feeling terribly esteemed. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, James Sloan said:

I am new to this forum. But it has proven essential because I had--until just now--thought that I would be travelling from Phuket to Mumbai in February 2022 on the Muse. It may well be that my February 2022 cruise had to be cancelled for COVID reasons, but it sure would be nice if SS had the communications skills to let people like me know. Not just a matter of courtesy but also because those who don't check cruisecritic daily (or near daily) will not have this information. And they may be booking hotels, planning a post-cruise visit to Agra (like my brother and his girlfriend whom I talked into coming with me on this one.). Ms. Muckerman starts her emails with "Dear Esteemed Guest" but I must confess that I am not feeling terribly esteemed. 

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

We were booked on the Moon, Singapore to Mumbai, in February 2022. I believe I recall that Silversea was also selling a segment from Phuket to Mumbai.  Not sure if you are referring to the Moon or Muse.  At any rate, we received an email from Silversea about the Moon cancellation last Thursday. I believe our TA was made aware a day or two earlier. 

10 hours ago, James Sloan said:

People who check Cruise Critic regularly often have access to the latest news related to cruising. But occasionally they have access to speculation or rumor passing as fact.  Acting on the latter can be very hazardous and costly.  

One would hope and expect that anyone booking hotels or independent tours in India for February would be making highly flexible, fully refundable arrangements given the fluid nature of Covid.  

I well understand the desire to have official information as soon as possible; I am also uncertain about the status of my winter cruising in a time of Covid.  But I do understand that canceling or significantly modifying cruises is not a simple matter for the cruise line.  There are lots of moving parts that have to be looked after.  Moreover, the cruise line does not want thousands of people calling at once to make alternative arrangements, etc.  Thus, rolling out the cancellations gradually may be necessary.   

• Like 2

10 hours ago, RJ2002 said:

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

We were booked on the Moon, Singapore to Mumbai, in February 2022. I believe I recall that Silversea was also selling a segment from Phuket to Mumbai.  Not sure if you are referring to the Moon or Muse.  At any rate, we received an email from Silversea about the Moon cancellation last Thursday. I believe our TA was made aware a day or two earlier. 

Dear RJ2002, 

Thanks for the welcome. It seems like a very nice--and very knowledgeable-- group! And, you are right...I said the Muse when I meant the Moon! A good example of the afore-mentioned knowledgeableness!! 

1 hour ago, Observer said:

People who check Cruise Critic regularly often have access to the latest news related to cruising. But occasionally they have access to speculation or rumor passing as fact.  Acting on the latter can be very hazardous and costly.  

One would hope and expect that anyone booking hotels or independent tours in India for February would be making highly flexible, fully refundable arrangements given the fluid nature of Covid.  

I well understand the desire to have official information as soon as possible; I am also uncertain about the status of my winter cruising in a time of Covid.  But I do understand that canceling or significantly modifying cruises is not a simple matter for the cruise line.  There are lots of moving parts that have to be looked after.  Moreover, the cruise line does not want thousands of people calling at once to make alternative arrangements, etc.  Thus, rolling out the cancellations gradually may be necessary.   

Thanks for the reply. And doubtless you are correct that matters such as cancelling cruises is complex. But I like to think that I am not being unreasonable or overly exigent in voicing an expectation that clients of a cruise line ought to be notified of a cancellation as soon as possible. It is business communications 101, in my humble view. As to your point that it falls to me to make flexible arrangements, fair enough. But forewarned is forearmed.

At least you received an email advising you of a change. I just heard from my TA this morning, saying she hasn't heard from us regarding the change, but we never received any communication from Silversea or our TA until this morning. So frustrating!

3 hours ago, pegsammax said:

At least you received an email advising you of a change. I just heard from my TA this morning, saying she hasn't heard from us regarding the change, but we never received any communication from Silversea or our TA until this morning. So frustrating!

So bizarre.  I wonder where the disconnect is?

Our TA advised us of our February 2022 cancellation a day before SS did.  

Any passenger booked on the Dawn between November 2021 and March 2022 received specific information other than the general letter by Barbara M. informing of the switch between Dawn and Moon? After asking further information regarding my December cruise from FLL to LIM, a consumer sales manager in London replied that at this stage there is no plan to cancel or even amend itineraries. But I find it strange that the Moon cruises are still not appearing on SS website. Any information would be greatly appreciated. 

On 9/22/2021 at 11:25 AM, Silver Spectre said:

Just booked the Dawn t/a this morning, however, very happy to finally get to do the Moon maiden crossing that was cancelled from last year instead. 🤩

Mr Silver, haven't seen you for some time. Hopefully will see you on this Moon TA!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SSCAF001 said:

Any passenger booked on the Dawn between November 2021 and March 2022 received specific information other than the general letter by Barbara M. informing of the switch between Dawn and Moon? After asking further information regarding my December cruise from FLL to LIM, a consumer sales manager in London replied that at this stage there is no plan to cancel or even amend itineraries. But I find it strange that the Moon cruises are still not appearing on SS website. Any information would be greatly appreciated. 

It's very strange nothing on the SS website,It's been about 2 weeks.

Just think about how many potential bookings they have lost with 5

months ( Nov. to March) of Silver Moon not showing a single cruise.

We were originally booked on The Moon from HKG-SIN over this Xmas/NY but after the recent cancellation we switched to The Moon from LIM-FLL over the same period. I sent an email to my SS agent asking for some clarification on a couple of tours etc., as we want to schedule some flight reservations this weekend, he advised to hold off as he wasn’t 100% sure if the cruise will proceed but he’s not received any official notification! 

I don’t like to speculate and understand the situation is very fluid due to the countries that are potentially visited on this itinerary, but would appreciate if anyone else has any other reliable information on this cruise, we’re so looking forward to getting away so hope this is an internal misunderstanding at SS.

3 hours ago, SSCAF001 said:

SS is probably still recovering from its recent servers shutdown due to IT issues--not much seems to have been updated on its website or My Silversea since then.

2 hours ago, Doolz said:

We were originally booked on The Moon from HKG-SIN over this Xmas/NY but after the recent cancellation we switched to The Moon from LIM-FLL over the same period. I sent an email to my SS agent asking for some clarification on a couple of tours etc., as we want to schedule some flight reservations this weekend, he advised to hold off as he wasn’t 100% sure if the cruise will proceed but he’s not received any official notification! 

I don’t like to speculate and understand the situation is very fluid due to the countries that are potentially visited on this itinerary, but would appreciate if anyone else has any other reliable information on this cruise, we’re so looking forward to getting away so hope this is an internal misunderstanding at SS.

We were on the Moon Nov 1 Athens to Dubai and switched to the Jan 3rd FLL Lima Dawn (now Moon). Our TA checked w SS end of last week and was told it would go even if some other South American cruises are canceled. At that point SS provided some business class air flights, confirmed Macchu Picchu post cruise trip and confirmed pre-cruise FLL hotel. I am hopeful this means the FLL Lima route won't be canceled, but I guess we will have to see. I will pass along anything I hear.

1 hour ago, flyingshoes said:

Maybe off topic, but we were on the Athens-Mumbai Moon cruise that was recently canceled.  Full refund to our CC was received today.  Well done SS!

Wow! great news. I was on Dubai to Mumbai and cancelled before SS canceled. Actually canceled 9-16-21 and no refund to credit card yet. I will start to worry in about a couple of weeks.