Self-administered Covid test and TSA

phoenix_dream

Perhaps this was addressed in the myriad number of postings on this topic, so I apologize in advance if I missed it.

Now that we can do the video monitored self-administrated test, I am wondering if we can carry the test packages through TSA as a carry-on?  I really don't want to put them in my luggage as they are valuable, but I want to make sure TSA is ok with bringing them on.  As you may know, they are not to be opened until the time of testing so we also can't risk TSA opening them to check them out.  For those of us heading into port a couple days (or more) ahead of time and won't have a car, these tests are critical to our ability to accomplish our testing in time.  

Has anyone who has done this report back?  Thanks

I cannot imagine why the TSA would care as long as you keep in a carryon and a hand inspection is possible. Sealed medical packages are okay, and if there is liquid inside it is minimal.

But you could easily ask TSA. They say to send your question in 72 hrs before flying: 

https://www.tsa.gov/contact/customer-service#:~:text=Contact us 72 hours prior,or submit an online form.

I have often had things shipped to my port hotel- let them know you are expecting a package and they will hold it for you. Since most things come with tracking you will know that it has arrived as promised. I send it to

Please hold for Me c/o Hotel

City, State zip

I do this if I am bringing some wine onboard, for example, but not reason it wouldn't work for these also. 

Edited by 5waldos

Thanks for the responses so far.  I'm not a Twitter user, but I could email them and ask using the link provided above.

I understand the liquid involved is minor and well within limits.  I also understand it is medical so would be approved.  However, it won't fit in the quart bag, and even medical liquids are subject to review and analysis.  If the TSA were to open the package to check the liquid, the test would be invalid.  That is my main concern.  I would hope that with so many people needing to use these for travel it would not be an issue but was hoping for some real life proof of that, leaving out of the US.

1 hour ago, Hollis25 said:

CVS just cancelled our test for tomorrow, however I bought the test kit as backup. My question is, I have downloaded the app, but do I wait to scan barcode tomorrow? Don't want to start test today.

Thanks

Steve

When you start the eMed test, that is when they ask to scan the barcode.  It is all part of the testing process.  I just did one on Monday, and it was super easy, and fast. 

• Like 1

Question regarding the Celebrity test kits. When you order them you answer the typical questions to confirm you do not currently have covid and you give your specific name. If you order the two-test kit, are you able to use that for two persons? 

2 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

This is what is in the kits.    The liquid is in either a little pipette or a eye drop size bottle.  I also carry two little eye drop bottles for glaucoma with me and have never had a problem.

image.jpeg.70cedbe1bcce774becdedc3d22e1021c.jpeg

Hi Jim, is this the test kit you bought through Celebrity or is this from Emed?

14 hours ago, h20cruzer said:

Hi Jim, is this the test kit you bought through Celebrity or is this from Emed?

Both are the exact same test.   I bought mine on Amazon and it is identical to what Celebrity site has.  Celebrity just branded the page and they don't actually ship or process the order

I also had the non-monitored kit I used to pre-test before our B2B on-board test and it was almost identical but instead of a dropper bottle it had a little pipette with the same reagent. 

Of interest is that the Retreat Host was one of those monitors for Abbott during the shut down. 

2 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Of interest is that the Retreat Host was one of those monitors for Abbott during the shut down. 

I recall your posting that on another thread.  It's one reason why I chuckle whenever someone here on CC refers to the monitors as "medical professionals."  ☺️

18 hours ago, bonvoyaged said:

Question regarding the Celebrity test kits. When you order them you answer the typical questions to confirm you do not currently have covid and you give your specific name. If you order the two-test kit, are you able to use that for two persons? 

Yes, its for 2 people and they have one for 3, which we will order. It’s cheaper than the local quick tests.

As for taking it with you, since it is a medical item, it is not restricted to the 1 qt container or the amount of liquid 3oz. 

And a number of posters have specifically stated they got their test kits through TSA.

den

23 hours ago, carbon said:

I was planning on booking CVS, did they offer any other recomendations or reason why they cancelled?

We are driving down over two days and I thought we would stop at CVS in marietta Georgia to get covid test.

I personally did not experience it - I just read numerous postings on Cruise Critic and FB pages that people had their CVS tests cancelled last minute.  No explanation given from CVS.  Since you're driving maybe you could book a test one day at a CVS, and then another the next day at another CVS.  If the first one goes according to plan you can always cancel the other.  That's basically what we did for our Alaska cruise (it was 3 days then thankfully).  We booked a Walgreens and a CVS and once we were able to do the first one we just cancelled the next one.