Self-administered Covid test and TSA

phoenix_dream

11 hours ago, ScubaDo said:

Only a week ago I carried through two kits in my carry on and no issues with TSA.

That's good news.  I would expect TSA would realize what the tests were and pass them through since they are medical.  I just don't know what I would do if I got a TSA who decided that wasn't good enough and decided to open the box, which would make it unusable for cruising.

When I first saw this thread, I decided to send off a message to the TSA seeking guidance as to whether these test kits can be carried in a carry-on suitcase.  I was pretty sure that they could but was seeking confirmation.

Several days later, I just received an email from the TSA, which is not itself helpful at all, except for providing this link: https://www.faa.gov/hazmat/packsafe/

The first couple of paragraphs at this link say:

COVID-19 Test Kits: Unused COVID-19 test kits do not contain dangerous goods and are typically allowed in both carry-on and checked baggage.

COVID-19 test kits containing diagnostic samples (e.g., nasal swabs and vials of sputum) are not allowed in carry-on baggage. These samples must be properly packaged, handled, and identified as a UN3373 Category B Infectious Substance (PDF) during transportation. Passengers should check with their carrier before packing COVID-19 test kits containing diagnostic samples in checked baggage or shipping as cargo. Individual carriers and international requirements may be more restrictive than domestic regulations.

TSA Exemption for Hand Sanitizer: The TSA will allow one liquid hand sanitizer container, up to 12 ounces per passenger, in carry-on bags until further notice. Since these containers exceed the standard allowance typically permitted through a checkpoint, they must be screened separately. This will add some time to your checkpoint screening experience. All other liquids, gels and aerosols brought to a checkpoint continue to be limited to 3.4 ounces or 100 milliliters in a one quart-size bag. TSA's special procedures for traveling with medication. For checked bags, the limits for toiletry and medicinal articles still apply: 17 fl. ounces per bottle and 68 fl. ounces total.

The bottom line seems to be that you can bring unopened Covid-19 test kits onboard.  You can't bring used test kits onboard (since they might contain hazardous materials), but then why would you want to?

Tom & Judy

14 hours ago, phoenix_dream said:

I personally did not experience it - I just read numerous postings on Cruise Critic and FB pages that people had their CVS tests cancelled last minute.  No explanation given from CVS.  Since you're driving maybe you could book a test one day at a CVS, and then another the next day at another CVS.  If the first one goes according to plan you can always cancel the other.  That's basically what we did for our Alaska cruise (it was 3 days then thankfully).  We booked a Walgreens and a CVS and once we were able to do the first one we just cancelled the next one.  

Maybe the answer is just go to Walgreens.  I see nothing about cancellations there.

On 9/24/2021 at 6:39 AM, Turtles06 said:

I recall your posting that on another thread.  It's one reason why I chuckle whenever someone here on CC refers to the monitors as "medical professionals."  ☺️

LOL -- you should hear him tell how fulfilling it is to  watch people stick q-tips up their nose all day long.

18 hours ago, TFree said:

[From TSA reply]  Unused COVID-19 test kits do not contain dangerous goods and are typically allowed in both carry-on and checked baggage.

Why do you think this is not useful? It answers the OP's question precisely.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mayleeman said:

Why do you think this is not useful? It answers the OP's question precisely.

My complaint was about the email they sent me, which did not answer the question at all, and read like a form response.  If I had not clicked on the link, I would not have found the answer.  I just felt it would have been better to send an email that itself answered the question, as many people would not bother to click through to find the answer when faced with what looks like an automated and unhelpful form response.

Tom & Judy

I guess I react differently when seeking information: I am much happier getting the documentary reference itself than an email. Show the link and the TSA policy to the screening agent and you have unimpeachable authority. Emails are not disseminated agency wide and may not reflect official policy.

Why would someone with a question not go to the source provided as an answer?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, mayleeman said:

I guess I react differently when seeking information: I am much happier getting the documentary reference itself than an email. Show the link and the TSA policy to the screening agent and you have unimpeachable authority. Emails are not disseminated agency wide and may not reflect official policy.

Why would someone with a question not go to the source provided as an answer?

I don't disagree with most of what you say, and you have caused me to re-think what I said to some extent.  The only thing I was trying to say that cuts in the opposite direction is that it is not helpful for the email message to read like a rote form response that is basically non-responsive to the question asked.  It would have been much better if the response was something more like this: " Thank you for contacting the Transportation Security Center (TSA) Contact Center.  The TSA's approach to Covid tests being brought onboard can be found at the link below."

Tom & Judy

29 minutes ago, TFree said:

My complaint was about the email they sent me, which did not answer the question at all, and read like a form response.  If I had not clicked on the link, I would not have found the answer.  I just felt it would have been better to send an email that itself answered the question, as many people would not bother to click through to find the answer when faced with what looks like an automated and unhelpful form response.

Tom & Judy

I hear and understand what you are saying, BUT the many people who do not bother to click through to find the information that pertains to them, IMHO are lazy and SOOL.

• Like 1

On 9/24/2021 at 6:33 AM, Jim_Iain said:

Both are the exact same test.   I bought mine on Amazon and it is identical to what Celebrity site has.  Celebrity just branded the page and they don't actually ship or process the order

How did you find them on Amazon?  I just looked, and coundn't.

3 hours ago, abbydancer said:

How did you find them on Amazon?  I just looked, and coundn't.

I just looked as well and don’t see it. Right now, I think the only places you can buy the monitored test kits are on line from Optum (where the Celebrity link directs you) or eMed.com.  I’m happy to be corrected if that’s wrong. 

On 9/24/2021 at 3:01 PM, Denny01 said:

Yes, its for 2 people and they have one for 3, which we will order. It’s cheaper than the local quick tests.

Thanks! We received our tests, have downloaded the apps and are getting more excited every day!

I ordered my test on Thursday.  Still not here.  According to FedEx it was supposed to be delivered today.  I guess that's two business days. 

However, it's 8pm and it's currently at the FedEx location, marked "potentially delayed".

This is the 3rd time in a month FedEx has delayed a shipment.  On this, as long as it arrives by Friday, it's good.  (and if it's still there at 2pm tomorrow I'll drive 8 miles and get it.  The other two were a bigger deal, as they were meal kits, and a 1 day delay and a 2 day delay meant a lot of thrown out food.  All the proteins, including 2 New York strip steaks.  Sign, remember when FedEx was good?

Based on what I am reading about shipping delays, and in some cases apparently defective packaging requiring a re-order, I think I will order my tests way ahead of time.  I don't sail until November, and I know the requirement only goes to October but I would bet $$ that it will be extended for who knows how long.  Celebrity has everything to gain and virtually nothing to lose by keeping the testing requirement.  There may be a handful of people who won't sail because of that requirement but I have to think they are in a very small minority.  Personally I can't imagine passing up a cruise because of a little inconvenience and relatively small cost.

• Like 1