Jump to content

Port of Capri?


KJMommy04
 Share

Recommended Posts

We are booked on an RCCL cruise sailing this May. It was originally booked for this past May, but was canceled and has since changed ships twice. Our itinerary now shows that instead of docking at Naples, we will be docking (maybe tendering?) at Capri. I always though Capri could only handle the small ships. Does this sound correct? We have a tour booked with RIL from Naples but now I am wondering how this will work logistically if our port is truly Capri. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

There´s no cruise ship pier in Capri - just for the ferries. So all ships calling Capri have to tender. And yes, I only know of smaller ships calling Capri.

 

I´ve been there onboard the MS Europa (400 pax). None of the Royal Caribbean International ships are small enough to call Capri. You pretty likely stop at Naples (which sometimes is listed as Capri in the itineraries).

 

steamboats

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, KJMommy04 said:

We are booked on an RCCL cruise sailing this May. It was originally booked for this past May, but was canceled and has since changed ships twice. Our itinerary now shows that instead of docking at Naples, we will be docking (maybe tendering?) at Capri. I always though Capri could only handle the small ships. Does this sound correct? We have a tour booked with RIL from Naples but now I am wondering how this will work logistically if our port is truly Capri. 

 

Does your ship itinerary say ONLY "Capri" or does it say something like Capri (Naples) or vice versa?

 

This is a little trick cruise lines play to make you think of the ultimate destination rather than the port. For example, they might say "Athens (Piraeus) or Rome (Civitavecchia) or Florence (Livorno).

 

I would be highly surprised if a large RCCL ship is going to anchor off Capri and tender everyone ashore....

 

EDITED TO ADD:  If you provide the ship and the actual date it may be possible to check various port websites to see what they have listed.

Edited by cruisemom42
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I was curious what was going on here, so I did a little poking around on Royal Caribbean's website.  I did not look at every single May cruise in the Mediterranean, but I see several with Capri in the equation.  On the initial screen that you see when searching for cruises, it shows "Naples (Capri)" in the itinerary list.  They also show "Rome (Civitavecchia)" and "Athens (Piraeus)".  So based on what we all know, you would think they are saying that Capri is the docking location for the Naples stop.

 

However, when you drill into the cruise details, they continue to show "Rome (Civitavecchia)" as a stop but they now show "Naples/Capri" as the stop.

 

There are multiple Royal ships set up this way for May 2022 including the new Wonder of the Seas, which is, what, the largest ship in the world?  If I'm not mistaken, I don't think the Oasis class ships tender anywhere.  

 

I suspect the ships will be docking in Naples like usual and you can certainly go to Capri if you choose to do so on an excursion. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, MeHeartCruising said:

I was curious what was going on here, so I did a little poking around on Royal Caribbean's website.  I did not look at every single May cruise in the Mediterranean, but I see several with Capri in the equation.  On the initial screen that you see when searching for cruises, it shows "Naples (Capri)" in the itinerary list.  They also show "Rome (Civitavecchia)" and "Athens (Piraeus)".  So based on what we all know, you would think they are saying that Capri is the docking location for the Naples stop.

 

However, when you drill into the cruise details, they continue to show "Rome (Civitavecchia)" as a stop but they now show "Naples/Capri" as the stop.

 

There are multiple Royal ships set up this way for May 2022 including the new Wonder of the Seas, which is, what, the largest ship in the world?  If I'm not mistaken, I don't think the Oasis class ships tender anywhere.  

 

I suspect the ships will be docking in Naples like usual and you can certainly go to Capri if you choose to do so on an excursion. 

Yes, this is correct. It is the Wonder we will be on. I have been to Naples several times and have never seen it listed as it is for this itinerary "Naples (Capri)." In fact, before we were switched to the Wonder, it was just listed as Naples. 

 

When I look on the description of the port for this itinerary, it even says "cruise to Naples and head to....."

 

This change is still so new RCCL hasn't assigned our cabins yet, so after everything is settled, I hope to get some more info from RCCL. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

 

Does your ship itinerary say ONLY "Capri" or does it say something like Capri (Naples) or vice versa?

 

This is a little trick cruise lines play to make you think of the ultimate destination rather than the port. For example, they might say "Athens (Piraeus) or Rome (Civitavecchia) or Florence (Livorno).

 

I would be highly surprised if a large RCCL ship is going to anchor off Capri and tender everyone ashore....

 

EDITED TO ADD:  If you provide the ship and the actual date it may be possible to check various port websites to see what they have listed.

It says "Naples (Capri)" which is why I think Capri is actually the port. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I realize that it's confusing based on what they have printed on the website, but if you've ever talked to an employee of a cruise line on the phone you quickly realize they don't have a clue about the places their ships visit.

 

NO major cruise ships call at Capri, it's just not possible.  Anything of that size would have to tender.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, euro cruiser said:

I realize that it's confusing based on what they have printed on the website, but if you've ever talked to an employee of a cruise line on the phone you quickly realize they don't have a clue about the places their ships visit.

 

NO major cruise ships call at Capri, it's just not possible.  Anything of that size would have to tender.

 

Fully agree. I don't think there is any likelihood the destination is Capri.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, MeHeartCruising said:

There are multiple Royal ships set up this way for May 2022 including the new Wonder of the Seas, which is, what, the largest ship in the world?  If I'm not mistaken, I don't think the Oasis class ships tender anywhere. 

 

Exactly, none of the Oasis class ships does tender. I´ve been on all four and have done the Med tour three times and the port is Naples.

 

6 hours ago, KJMommy04 said:

It says "Naples (Capri)" which is why I think Capri is actually the port. 

 

Nope, Naples is the port (of Capri - sic!). It´s a one hour ferry ride with the speed ferry over to Capri.

 

Another nice one is "Warnemünde (Berlin)" - add the 3 hour train ride to Berlin... And of course "Civitavecchia (Rome)" is the port of Rome. But actually yes, I´ve seen it the other way round too like "Rome (Civitavecchia)".

 

steamboats

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/24/2021 at 6:53 PM, KJMommy04 said:

It says "Naples (Capri)" which is why I think Capri is actually the port. 

RCI and a few other cruise lines unfortunately play this game that leaves some passengers without a clue as to where their cruise ship will dock or tender.  But when your itinerary says "Naples" (Capri) it means your vessel will dock at the Port of Naples.  Getting from Naples to Capri involves the use of some type of ferry which can take about an hour (each way) between the ferry terminal (Molo Beverello) and Capri.    We have sometimes seen another line put "Sorrento" (Capri) which makes little sense since Capri is quite a distance from Sorrento.  

 

Getting back to the original post, in over forty years of cruising in those waters we have never seen a large cruise ship actually anchor off Capri.  I suppose it has happened but it would be rare.   We have seen a few smaller cruise ships (probably less then 600 passengers) anchored off Capri.

 

Hank

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/25/2021 at 1:48 AM, steamboats said:

 

Another nice one is "Warnemünde (Berlin)" - add the 3 hour train ride to Berlin... And of course "Civitavecchia (Rome)" is the port of Rome. But actually yes, I´ve seen it the other way round too like "Rome (Civitavecchia)".

 

steamboats

One of my favorites is  Messina (Taormina) or Taormina (Messina).  I remember reading a post insisting that you should be able to walk into Taormina from the port.

Edited by marazul
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, marazul said:

One of my favorites is  Messina (Taormina) or Taormina (Messina).  I remember reading a post insisting that you should be able to walk into Taormina from the port.

 

That's a major preposition problem in any event, from any direction one would have to walk UP to Taormina!

 

Some of the small luxury lines with really small ships tender at Giardini Naxos but even that isn't really walking distance to Taormina (only three and a quarter miles but going from sea level to about 700' altitude).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • Holland America Line’s Alaska Exploration Sale
      • Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Q&A with American Queen Voyages
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...