Spanish VAT on ship board purchases?

CruisingIGo

In 2022, I have a Barcelona to Rome cruise.  It's an 11 day cruise with 7 Spanish ports, 3 sea days, 1 Moroccan port and disembark in Rome.  Is it true that here will be a Spanish VAT on all ship board purchases (alcohol, spa, boutiques, etc) for the entire cruise?  If so, what % is the VAT?

51 minutes ago, CruisingIGo said:

In 2022, I have a Barcelona to Rome cruise.  It's an 11 day cruise with 7 Spanish ports, 3 sea days, 1 Moroccan port and disembark in Rome.  Is it true that here will be a Spanish VAT on all ship board purchases (alcohol, spa, boutiques, etc) for the entire cruise?  If so, what % is the VAT?

There was a VAT on the Epic that I just got off of. I believe it was 22 or 24%, I can't remember which one. That was for gifts and pictures. Not sure on the others as we had the drink package and never went to the spa. First cruise that I have ever been on that had tax added on to purchases.

Based on your itinerary you should only have Spanish IVA (vat)  charged while in Spanish waters. This would compare with how Florida Tax is charged on purchases when in Port Everglades (including drinks) or I presume how state and local taxes are charged in Seattle.  Morocco is outside the EU, so the cruise is not an Inter EU cruise, so Vat should not be charged at any other time.

Edited by VMax1700

1 minute ago, VMax1700 said:

Based on your itinerary you should only have Spanish IVA (vat)  charged while in Spanish waters. This would compare with how Florida Tax is charged on purchases when in Port Everglades (including drinks) or I presume how state and local taxes are charged in Seattle.  Morocco is outside the EU, so the cruise is not an Inter EU cruise, so Vat should not be charged at any other time.

Spanish IVA is 21% on purchases, but drinks are 10%