80's Themed Cruises - What should we expect?

HBCcruiser

The first leg of our B2B on the Grand out of LA has turned into an 80's Themed cruise. What does that mean? Has anyone ever been on one of these?  I have not received any correspondence from Princess about it yet and would love to know what to expect. 🤔

Screen Shot 2021-09-24 at 12.19.34 PM.png

I’ve been on Oktoberfest themed cruises which didn’t have a lot of extra activities.

I remember they had one of my favorite German beers…Paulaner…with a special offer for a beer mug. There was a game in the Piazza to see who could hold two mugs the longest & maybe some dance lessons.

My TA forwarded a Princess promotional email which promotes more activities than my Oktoberfest experiences.

’80s cruises: Our 80s themed Getaway cruises feature world-class tribute bands playing the timeless hits of rock titans like Journey, Bon Jovi and Hall & Oats and more. Dates include: Oct 18— 5-day Cabo San Lucas Getaway; Oct 23 — 5-day West Coast Getaway with San Diego; and Nov 29 — 5-day Caribbean Getaway with Grand Turk. There will also be 80s themed trivia, TV and Movies Under the Stars programming, parties and costume nights. See ’80s Cruises

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, LACruiser88 said:

I have never heard of this???

In addition to the 80s themed cruises they also have some comedy themed short Getaway cruises.

Laughing matters: Our comedy-themed cruises feature top headliners comedians like Carlos Oscar (former Princess Entertainer of the Year), Maryellen Hooper, Tom Cotter and more, plus classic comedy movies and TV programming, trivia and game shows. Guests will enjoy three different performers on each of these Getaway cruises: Oct 14 and Nov 1 — 5-day West Coast Getaway with San Diego; and Dec 9 — 4-day Grand Turk Getaway. 

• Thanks 2

24 minutes ago, Astro Flyer said:

I’ve been on Oktoberfest themed cruises which didn’t have a lot of extra activities.

I remember they had one of my favorite German beers…Paulaner…with a special offer for a beer mug. There was a game in the Piazza to see who could hold two mugs the longest & maybe some dance lessons.

My TA forwarded a Princess promotional email which promotes more activities than my Oktoberfest experiences.

’80s cruises: Our 80s themed Getaway cruises feature world-class tribute bands playing the timeless hits of rock titans like Journey, Bon Jovi and Hall & Oats and more. Dates include: Oct 18— 5-day Cabo San Lucas Getaway; Oct 23 — 5-day West Coast Getaway with San Diego; and Nov 29 — 5-day Caribbean Getaway with Grand Turk. There will also be 80s themed trivia, TV and Movies Under the Stars programming, parties and costume nights. See ’80s Cruises

Thank you for this. Princess has not posted or emailed this info yet. I love 80's bands! No costuming or big hair for me though! giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47ngli1527am6ngqf92v

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

19 minutes ago, HBCcruiser said:

I love 80's bands!

My blast to the past would be mid-60s to mid-70s. ☺️

On a long cruise we had Rick Nelson’s sons do tribute shows to their Dad & other performers of that era which was more in my wheelhouse. 👍

Edited by Astro Flyer
  • Like 4

49 minutes ago, LACruiser88 said:

In all of our years cruising with Princess, this is the first time I've heard of themed cruises.  Go wonder...

They've included Comedy and 80s themed cruises on the UK seacations this summer (one was a charter) so perhaps just borrowing the idea

image.png.1d5c8faa60a2b13648db51dec89732fa.png

image.png.818efae378d3d3ae2eb9dd180c560afc.png

image.png.a80a3979dbbd32108b956b24519f93a9.png

Edited by dides
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, HBCcruiser said:

I'd love to see big names like Heart, Cheap Trick or Foreigner! 

ABC, Nik Kershaw, The Christians, T'Pau, Toyah, and Altered Images...

Okay, maybe it's just me but I don't know any of these acts!

Guns 'n Roses, Poison, Bon Jovi, , etc. Those are 80's bands I recognize along with a host of bands from earlier who were still pumping out lots of stuff in the 80's.

Like @Astro Flyer my time is more mid 60's to mid 70's. The 80's were more my kids times.

Edit:

Our 80s themed Getaway cruises feature world-class tribute bands playing the timeless hits of rock titans like Journey, Bon Jovi and Hall & Oats and more.

These are more like it.  Are the other bands just UK bands and that's why I don't recognize them?

Edited by Thrak
  • Like 1

The bigger question is:  Does Princess really believe there will be 80's generation passengers on board or just us old fogies who belong to the 50's/60's era?  I'd even stretch it to Disco....but 80's?  That's a stretch for me.  

http://www.discjockey.org/top-100-songs-of-the-1980s/

Top 100 Songs of the 1980s - Chicago DJ Fourth Estate Audio.pdf

I would love being onboard an 80s themed cruise if they had good cover bands! We have lots of local music here with great cover bands.  

(70s and disco appeals to me more than Valley Girl and new wave. )

I’m envisioning  lots of songs (by artists)  Michael Jackson, Rockwell, Guns n Roses, Van Halen, Queen, The Police,  Cheap Trick, Wham,  Blondie, Donna Summer, Men at Work, Journey, Foreigner, Prince, Spandau Ballet,  too.  

Somebody mentioned or posted ABC is on the performing list.  They were very popular back in 82-83, “The Look of Love”

Edited by 4cats4me
  • Like 3

26 minutes ago, HBCcruiser said:

They are both. Very popular in the 80s too. 
https://spinditty.com/artists-bands/100-Best-Rock-Bands-of-the-80s

Well I 'll give you Foreigner even though they started in the 70's their best album 4 came out in 1981

but Dreamboat Annie came out in 1975 and live in Budokan was recorded in 78 🙂

32 minutes ago, scott4020 said:

Well I 'll give you Foreigner even though they started in the 70's their best album 4 came out in 1981

but Dreamboat Annie came out in 1975 and live in Budokan was recorded in 78 🙂

Ahh but one of my favorite songs from Heart, Alone, is off of their Bad Animals album released 1987. ❤️🥂

• Like 1

7 hours ago, pms4104 said:

Sounds like something Carnival Cruiselines might do.

The only themed cruise we ever where on was in fact a NCL cruise 30 years ago or so,  "western themed", not our cup of tea.  I am not a fan of themed cruises, hope Princess does not go this direction.  The whole ship had western themed entertainment at the time.  We like more variety. 

3 hours ago, scott4020 said:

That would be cool but those are 70's bands.

Foreigner 4 was released in 81,and I went to their concert, but you’re right, they started in the 70’s.   

Edit:   Oops, sorry, I posted before i’d Read your other response. 

Edited by 4cats4me
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Thrak said:

ABC, Nik Kershaw, The Christians, T'Pau, Toyah, and Altered Images...

Okay, maybe it's just me but I don't know any of these acts!

Guns 'n Roses, Poison, Bon Jovi, , etc. Those are 80's bands I recognize along with a host of bands from earlier who were still pumping out lots of stuff in the 80's.

Like @Astro Flyer my time is more mid 60's to mid 70's. The 80's were more my kids times.

Edit:

Our 80s themed Getaway cruises feature world-class tribute bands playing the timeless hits of rock titans like Journey, Bon Jovi and Hall & Oats and more.

These are more like it.  Are the other bands just UK bands and that's why I don't recognize them?

They are all big UK 80s bands, i wasn't on that cruise but the one before i would have loved to been on it though.  Sounds like they were not as big across the pond as i thought they were back in the day.

On ours we had Lulu and Catherine Jenkins both great acts and puf in a good shows. But would have preferred t'pau and toyah.