80's Themed Cruises - What should we expect?

HBCcruiser

43 minutes ago, Dobby_The_Ship_Elf said:

This may very well be the first time we see the entertainers getting around the ship on mobility scooters!!!   ......... just joking  😄

They would still be younger than the passengers.  Although, the ship does leave on Saturday and returns midweek.  Hmmmm.  Not a three day weekend.  Working folks would have to take 3 additional days off.  Wondering which age bracket are doing these short get aways?  Families with children will not be on the ship.  I'm sure...*hee hee...that Princess has thought this thoroughly through...you'd think. 

Of course, this (me) is all coming from the "oldies but goodies" group.  

Cunard is doing the same, on 3 TAs they are advertising a ‘ cruise within a cruise’ where each one has a big band playing (Glenn Miller for example) and private events for those cruisers. 
At least with a full charter, all those sailing have booked the cruise. In those where  it is only a partial charter, there is the issue that the private events impact the availability of some lounges etc .

On 9/25/2021 at 7:55 AM, Dobby_The_Ship_Elf said:

This may very well be the first time we see the entertainers getting around the ship on mobility scooters!!!   ......... just joking  😄

An upcoming cruise here in the U.K. has a comedian entertaining who is 81 now (Jimmy Tarbuck for those U.K. people),  another artist appearing is Lulu, a singer who is now 72 years 🤷‍♀️🤦‍♀️

11 minutes ago, downsmead said:

Cunard is doing the same, on 3 TAs they are advertising a ‘ cruise within a cruise’ where each one has a big band playing (Glenn Miller for example) and private events for those cruisers. 
At least with a full charter, all those sailing have booked the cruise. In those where  it is only a partial charter, there is the issue that the private events impact the availability of some lounges etc .

Who's Glenn Miller??? And yes if my cruise shifted to 'big band' I'd cancel. So I understand when it's music you didn't grow up or listen to in clubs (tweens -> 30s)

I would be first in line to sail on one of these 80s themed cruises if I could. Sadly, as a parent of a kid too young to be vaccinated, I can't....I wonder if they are trying different approaches to see what is popular? Judging by some of the pricing I have seen on other lines, they are pretty desperate to get folks on ships right now.

2 hours ago, Ombud said:

Who's Glenn Miller??? And yes if my cruise shifted to 'big band' I'd cancel. So I understand when it's music you didn't grow up or listen to in clubs (tweens -> 30s)

I'm hoping this was a bit "tongue in cheek" as I hope you really aren't unaware of who Glenn Miller was. One of the pre-sets on the radio in my truck is 40's music on Sirius XM.  There is some truly great music that came out of this era.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, downsmead said:

Um, if they really have Glenn Miller, I think the theme has morphed from Big Band to Zombies. 

2 hours ago, Ombud said:

WHO'S GLENN MILLER?!?!?! 

• Like 4

On 9/24/2021 at 9:33 PM, cr8tiv1 said:

The bigger question is:  Does Princess really believe there will be 80's generation passengers on board or just us old fogies who belong to the 50's/60's era?  I'd even stretch it to Disco....but 80's?  That's a stretch for me.  

http://www.discjockey.org/top-100-songs-of-the-1980s/

Top 100 Songs of the 1980s - Chicago DJ Fourth Estate Audio.pdf 42.1 kB · 2 downloads

They might actually be trying to entice Gen X to cruise. I think a lot of Gen X was in middle school and high school in the 80s. And in their 40s and 50s and approaching the empty nest stage. My suspicion these themed cruises are not as full as they’d like them to be.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Lizabu said:

They might actually be trying to entice Gen X to cruise. I think a lot of Gen X was in middle school and high school in the 80s. And in their 40s and 50s and approaching the empty nest stage. My suspicion these themed cruises are not as full as they’d like them to be.

As a Gen X'er I agree 100%! The 80s are most definitely my bag. What might not have been taken into account is many of us Gen X'ers had kids later in life and might now be unable to jump onboard with these 80s themed cruises as our kids aren't eligible to be vaccinated yet...such is life....

• Like 6

I wanted to do this one so bad! I had my Aquanet and rat tail comb all ready for those big bangs!! Unfortunately I already have a cruise planned for that week and my family wouldn't switch (party poopers) 

Please please take pictures and post all about it. I am ridiculously jealous! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/26/2021 at 6:09 PM, Ombud said:

I don't know who Glenn Miller is. I will goggle him. But I really don't know any of that big band stuff. But it might be jazz as Google says Dizzy Gillespie was big band and my dad listened to him

Love this song.

• Like 7

On 9/24/2021 at 8:29 PM, CineGraphic said:

I believe that these sailing dates were recently added because of cancellations elsewhere.

If so, they only have a short amount of time to fill some cabins.

Themes would seem to be a better option than slashing prices.

Yes to that. I checked a couple of these cruises after I got a Drop & Go email. The ships were EMPTY.

• Like 1

On 9/24/2021 at 4:06 PM, pms4104 said:

Sounds like something Carnival Cruiselines might do.

Before I answer this, I want to say that this post is going to run very long because I have a lot to say on the subject and many people to quote.  I apologize in advance and encourage those who aren't interested to skip further down.

Anyway, Carnival actually does have an 80s day on their longer Journeys cruises.  They feature 80s movies, 80s outfits/costumes, 80s throwback newsletter, and 80s trivia - among other things.  I'm assuming these cruises on Princess will be similar but enhanced across the entire journey.

On 9/24/2021 at 4:57 PM, dides said:

They've included Comedy and 80s themed cruises on the UK seacations this summer (one was a charter) so perhaps just borrowing the idea

image.png.1d5c8faa60a2b13648db51dec89732fa.png

image.png.818efae378d3d3ae2eb9dd180c560afc.png

image.png.a80a3979dbbd32108b956b24519f93a9.png

Thanks for sharing.  I, typical American, remember T'Pau and Nik Kershaw as one hit wonders.  ABC had more hits that I remember.  They're going to be performing on a full 80s charter cruise that I will be on.  I'd link it, but I don't want anyone thinking that I'm trying to sell anything (it's sold out anyway).

On 9/24/2021 at 5:05 PM, HBCcruiser said:

I'd love to see big names like Heart, Cheap Trick or Foreigner! 

Cheap Trick is scheduled to be at a chartered AI experience that I will be at later this month.  Nancy Wilson of Heart is scheduled to be on a charter cruise next month.  Foreigner will be on another charter cruise in February.

On 9/24/2021 at 9:33 PM, cr8tiv1 said:

The bigger question is:  Does Princess really believe there will be 80's generation passengers on board or just us old fogies who belong to the 50's/60's era? 

I think that's the gamble.  It seems to have worked for me, since I booked the one in November.  The charter cruises that I've been referencing are mostly sold out, but then again they've been on offer for over a year rather than the week that these cruises have been on sale for.  I worry a little about those who booked without understanding the theme and won't enjoy the cruise because of it.  I have my doubts that it will come close to selling out, but a mostly empty cruise ship has its own rewards (IMHO).

On 9/24/2021 at 9:35 PM, Ombud said:

What no Aerosmith, Def Leppard,  Metallica, Van Halen, or R.E.M? Or their knockoffs??

On 9/25/2021 at 5:09 AM, Ombud said:

Target seems to be those of us born in the 50s & 60s.  

Hey, I remember you!  We were on the same Grand Princess roll call when this whole crisis started.  Anyway, we're definitely the target, and I think all the bands you listed are outside the budget for Princess.  Fun story - I saw a virtual concert for a Def Leppard knockoff last year when virtual concerts were still a thing.  They were very good.

On 9/26/2021 at 6:44 PM, HBCcruiser said:

Well, I’ll be doing a LIVE From… review once we get closer so we will all learn what a Princess 80’s cruise entails! 😂😂🥳

Yes!  Please share - unless you picked the same date I did, in which case we can just talk to each other onboard. 😁

Thanks to both of you that stuck around to (almost) the end.  I'll put my thoughts on this cruise:

• I love Hall & Oates, like Journey, don't care for Bon Jovi - but will probably attend the concert because why not?
  • We all know one 80s show that's going to be featured! 🤣
  • As I mentioned earlier, I have one 80s themed get together at an AI and an 80s themed cruise coming up in the next few months.  My expectations for this one isn't nearly as high as it is for those, but then again, I'm not going to pay nearly as much.
  • I've never been to Amber Cove, so I'm kind of looking forward to exploring the area

Edited by Honolulu Blue
  • Like 1

One thing I wanted to add is that CCL did Carnival Live! from 2014-18.  This featured some relatively big name bands/singers (and a few comedians) that performed in the main theater one day on a cruise.  The show itself was extra cost with VIP access even more extra.  Here's a CC post describing the experience:  https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=2668 .  So yes, an 80s themed cruise might be more of a natural fit for Carnival, but it's Princess that's actually trying to execute them, and maybe they'll use some of their corporate partner's experience to help things go smoothly.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Honolulu Blue said:

The show itself was extra cost with VIP access even more extra.

That'd be awesome! I'd be willing to pay extra if it was a band I really liked! 

Edited by HBCcruiser
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...
On 9/24/2021 at 3:21 PM, HBCcruiser said:

The first leg of our B2B on the Grand out of LA has turned into an 80's Themed cruise. What does that mean? Has anyone ever been on one of these?  I have not received any correspondence from Princess about it yet and would love to know what to expect. 🤔

Screen Shot 2021-09-24 at 12.19.34 PM.png

Hello...How did you enjoy the 80's themed cruise? I am very curious to know your thoughts or read a review.  Thank you

Hi -

They played a lot of 80's music and a few pax dressed in 80's style one night but other than that it was rather tame. We did not have many pax onboard, which may have limited the number of events they offered. We had a great time onboard, though. I did a live review which you can view here: