French Polynesia to limit cruise ships by size starting Jan 2022

nocl

1 minute ago, KirkNC said:

Interesting to see how that translates for our Zuiderdam cruise in February of 2022.

based on the size of the Zuiderdam, the only impact would be loss of a stop in Bora Bora if one was planned.

• Like 1

This really is another example of cruise lines going one direction i.e larger ships, and multiple ports limiting the size of cruise ships.  While larger ships may work in the Caribbean or Alaska, the rest of the world seems to be rejecting them.   For us, that’s a good thing.

• Like 12

1 minute ago, KirkNC said:

It is

Looks like they are certainly moving to protect the crowds in Bora Bora. The Crown jewel of the islands. The other is prioritizing ships 700 or less which could be an issue with the other islands depending upon potential schedule conflict.

• Like 1

Good for the FP to protect what they have.  I wonder how many passengers HAL booked on the Zuiderdam.  I suspected it was not to capacity but I have seen nothing that supports that.  I sure hope Bora Bora does not get dropped.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, FBM1963 said:

Good for the FP to protect what they have.  I wonder how many passengers HAL booked on the Zuiderdam.  I suspected it was not to capacity but I have seen nothing that supports that.  I sure hope Bora Bora does not get dropped.

Basedon my understanding it would as well as six other stops.

As for # onboard, the cruise is sold out.

Edited by KirkNC
  • Like 1

Very interesting.  As a frequent cruiser (on all size ships) and one who has been to the Society Islands on 3 occasions, I cannot help but support the new restriction on Bora Bora.  This has been our favorite island and its infrastructure is not ideal for large ships.   Just try to rent a car on Bora Bora when a large ship is in town and you would understand the need to keep the big ships away from that lovely island.

The trend to limit large ships continues to move around the world. The residents of Key West voted (by over 60% of the vote) to ban large ships but have been overruled by politicians who do not live anywhere near Key West.   There are many ports in Europe that should not allow large ships (we salute the recent ban in Venice) such as Dubrovnik, La Spezia, etc.   

I do think the travel industry is just beginning to realize that bigger is not always better.  While DW and I do continue to book some cruises (not many) on 3000 passenger ships we strongly favor smaller ships (less then 800 passenger).  We love to travel around the world and visit interesting places and do not want to see them ruined by overtourism.  Most tourist places have land based limitations because of limited hotel facilities.  But stick a 3, 4 or 5000 passenger ship into that setting and the result is not a good thing.  Anyone who has seen how quickly large ships (at La Spezia) have caused awful changes in Rio Maggiore would understand what I say.   And if you want to see an awful example in the Caribbean just look at how St Thomas has been ruined by 10s of thousands of cruise ship passengers (on a single day).  When we first went to St Thomas (about forty years ago) there were no big traffic jams in Charlotte Amalie and that town was full of many cute shops selling all kinds of products at good prices.  Now, it is worse then a NYC traffic jam, most of the cute shops are long gone, and we have the usual cruise-based Diamonds International. Tanzanite International, etc.  In fact one of the best Jewelers in South America (H, Stern) finally fled St Thomas  (but they still have their store on 5th Avenue in NYC).  

Hank

• Like 7

25 minutes ago, KirkNC said:

Basedon my understanding it would as well as six other stops.

As for # onboard, the cruise is sold out.

what other stops? The Zuiderdam is small enough that it could still go to the other FP islands.

BB is the only one with the 1200 passenger limit per day

Edited by nocl
  • Like 1

Interesting topic. We toured the Society Island in 2018 with Windstar. Only 300 on the sailing vessel and really only saw one other much larger ship the whole week there. Definitely the way to go and the  service, food and activities right off the aft of the vessel was beyond compare. We actually found Moorea to be even more beautiful and enchanting than Bora Bora.

Edited by PROCRUISE
  • Like 3

50 minutes ago, nocl said:

what other stops? The Zuiderdam is small enough that it could still go to the other FP islands.

BB is the only one with the 1200 passenger limit per day

I may be confused by the wording, not sure what “transpacific” or “transpacific repositioning” mean but the cruise I am referring to has seven stops in FP.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nocl said:

based on the size of the Zuiderdam, the only impact would be loss of a stop in Bora Bora if one was planned.

well, that was one of the best stops we had with Patrick.  I am sad for those that will miss it 😢 

• Like 6

We're booked twice on the Zuiderdam to visit French Polynesia in 2022 (have never been) and would be disappointed not to finally get to Bora Bora but can also see where they are coming from.  I have read that many prefer Moorea to BB so maybe they'll give us two days there as a substitute.

Here's another article:   Islands of Tahiti Position to Small and Medium-Sized Cruise Ships - Cruise Industry News | Cruise News

Edited by zelker
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, zelker said:

We're booked twice on the Zuiderdam to visit French Polynesia in 2022 (have never been) and would be disappointed not to finally get to Bora Bora but can also see where they are coming from.  I have read that many prefer Moorea to BB so maybe they'll give us two days there as a substitute.

Here's another article:   Islands of Tahiti Position to Small and Medium-Sized Cruise Ships - Cruise Industry News | Cruise News

Having been to both - good luck tendering to Moorea but we got there after an itinerary change.  I far preferred Bora Bora, but each to their own 🙂 

It was a fantastic day 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, kazu said:

Having been to both - good luck tendering to Moorea but we got there after an itinerary change.  I far preferred Bora Bora, but each to their own 🙂 

It was a fantastic day 

Have never been and BB's been on our bucket list for 40+ years so will be sad to miss it.  Nothing any of us can do about it but I hate that we'll be that close TWICE next year and not get to visit.  And we've already go things booked there for March and again in October.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KirkNC said:

I may be confused by the wording, not sure what “transpacific” or “transpacific repositioning” mean but the cruise I am referring to has seven stops in FP.

only BB should be impacted. Ship size can go up to 3500 for the others.

20 minutes ago, kazu said:

And this is why the Prinsendam should never had been sold.  That ship was welcomed everywhere we went. 840 passengers max.

I agree.  HAL was noted for their smaller ships that could go into unique ports.    I will be disappointed if our South Pacific cruise loses a bunch of ports and could be a deal breaker for me.  I can see the other small islands doing the same.