The Daily for Saturday September 25, 2021

richwmn

Today is International Rabbit Day, National Comic Book Day, and National Hunting and Fishing Day

Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time. --Thomas A. Edison

Meal suggestion for today - Sweet and Sticky Grilled Drumsticks

Drink of the Day - Michelada

Wine of the day - Oberon Sauvignon Blanc - California - White

Destination of the Day - General San Martin (Pisco) Peru

Ships with Passengers

At Sea Destination Limassol, C
Eurodam 00:00 - 24:00

Seattle, WA
Nieuw Amsterdam 07:00 - 16:00

Ships without Passengers

At Sea Pacific
Koningsdam Drifting
Westerdam Destination Ensenada MX eta 9/26

Corfu GR
Volendam
Zaandam

Ensenada MX
Zuiderdam

Long Beach
Noordam Anchorage

Scheveningen NL
Oosterdam Anchorage
Rotterdam Anchorage

Stirrup Cay
Nieuw Statendam Anchorage

0925NAmerica.thumb.png.73ef0bc7861953dd99a249da8039422c.png

0925Europe.thumb.png.9e9612075aa8555bd51aa15cdc8a62c0.png

• Like 35
  • Thanks 7

Thank you for the Saturday Daily, Rich.  I'll pass on the rabbits, used to love comics, and hunting and fishing are great activities but never appealed to me.  I love the Edison quote.  Pisco is a great port.  I like the drumstick suggestion.  My alternative is Tim Hortons Chicken Noodle Soup as enjoyed near Canada Place September 25, 2017 before boarding MS Oosterdam.

https://solocabinchallenge.files.wordpress.com/2017/09/arrived.jpg

Today’s care list:

Welfare of furloughed crews
Western wildfires
cat shepard’s friend undergoing chemo for stage four cancer but responding VERY well
StLouisSal’s friend
Lady Hudson’s BIL in rehab
Sam in rehab an hour away from home but doing well
Sharon’s young friend Jakob with Covid
Tuesday colonoscopy prep for Jazzyv
From the rotation:
Krazy Kruizer DH Joe
Me awaiting PET test results

Celebrations and Shoutouts

2 BHB with passengers
Front Line Health Care Workers
Cruising-along on Eurodam
Boosters for SeaViewer and aliaschief
Cruise booked for kb5863
productive day for cruisin single
Welcome home HAL4BOW
NextOne helping with family move
Bon Voyage day for Jajmd
Icand9223 away on river cruise
and Staff Captain Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 33
  • Thanks 7

Good morning, everyone.  

I'll pass on the days, but how true is the Edison quote!   

@Sharon in AZ Prayers for young Jakob.

@JazzyV Good luck with the colonoscopy prep.  That is the worst part of a colonoscopy.

Welcome home to all the Nieuw Amsterdam sailors.   Speaking of cruisers, @Cruising-along reports they are on the ship and ready to crack the champagne for sail away from Athens on their aft wrap deck.  

Today's meal seems to come mainly from the Martha Stewart recipe.  On Martha's site it only receives 3 stars, but more when the recipe is on other sites.  Go figure.

https://www.marthastewart.com/351602/sweet-and-sticky-grilled-drumsticks1986599718_SweetandStickyGrilledDrumsticks.jpg.a566c753ff0d1e4b43d2c643b6e9b104.jpg

There are some variations.  Here is one with a plum sauce:  https://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/sticky-grilled-drumsticks-plum-sauce

Another recipe variation:   https://www.tablespoon.com/recipes/sweet-and-sticky-grilled-chicken/1f01157f-43c9-41a1-bf5f-49813486edc2

2123212103_sweetandstickygrilledchicken.jpg.86c11942ec0cbb5caf5119918f73ac24.jpg

And one for a baked version:   https://www.thecomfortofcooking.com/2011/02/sweet-n-sticky-baked-chicken-drumsticks.html

sweet-sticky-chicken-drumsticks.jpg.7d9cca5e4b7b93c77e59b8ddfde1340e.jpg

• Like 32
  • Thanks 5

Good morning.  Thanks for the Daily Report.

I'm not into comic books, I don't hunt or fish and rabbits are cute, but not when they eat everything in my vegetable garden before I get the chance.  I guess these days are not for me.

Love the quote, I'll try to follow it.

The meal sounds good, maybe tomorrow.  Hope the drink of the day and wine are good too.

Never been to today's port, thanks in advance for all the pictures that will be posted.

Prayers for everyone on the Care List.  Cheers for all the celebrations.

Have a wonderful Saturday.

Stay safe.

• Like 24

Happy Saturday.  Rabbits are cute as long as they aren't eating your garden.  We don't hunt or fish.  And there was a report on the news that a college library has lost several hundreds of thousands of $$ worth of comic books.  I totally agree with the Edilson quote.  The meal sounds and looks great.  Thank you Rich, Roy, and Debbie for your contributions.  Have not been to today's port, looking forward to the photos.

Prayers and toasts to our lists.

Stay safe, social distance, and please continue to wear your mask.

Michelada:

A michelada is a Mexican drink made with beer, lime juice, assorted sauces, spices, tomato juice, and chile peppers. It is served in a chilled, salt-rimmed glass. There are numerous variations of this beverage throughout Mexico. Wikipedia
Ingredients: 1 Tbs Lime juice, 4 oz Beer, 4 oz Tomato juice, MORE
Preparation: Mix the beer with tomato juice, freshly squeezed lime juice, and Worcestershire sauce, teriyaki sauce, soy sauce, or hot sauce.
Served: In a chilled, salt-rimmed glass
Drinkware: Pint glass

Screen Shot 2021-09-25 at 7.14.53 AM.png

Edited by summer slope
  • Like 22
  • Thanks 7

Good Morning everyone! Thank you Rich for the Daily Report, and thank you Roy for the Cares and Celebrations Report. And thank you everyone for caring and sharing!

We had a similar meal last night with Barbecued Chicken Thighs smothered with barebecue sauce. Grilling season still continues here!

We are considering one of the South America cruises for 2023 and today's destination is on the itinenary. Looking forward to pictures that will be posted!

Edited by Heartgrove
  • Like 25

Thank you for today's daily Rich and care, celebrations and shout outs lists Roy.

It is 12.45pm sunny with a slight sea breeze and we are in our beach tent looking out to sea.

The only comics I read as a youngster was football magazines.

Pauline likes rabbits and as kids we both had pet rabbits.

I have never hunted or fished.

Today's quote is excellent and definitely something we should all try and do.

Nice food and drink choices.

We have not been to today's port so looking forward to seeing photos.

Prayers 🙏 for everyone on the care list.

Take care and stay safe everyone.

Graham.

16325703295485188531794261474876.jpg

1632570414401940475809215196309.jpg

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 30

Good morning, Friends. Thank you for the Daily, the Lists and the Recipes.

Rabbits are cute, but can be messy. Not into comic books or hunting or fishing.

Love the quote.

The meal sounds good.

Waiting to hear from friends visiting the area on whether we are meeting them today or tomorrow. Other than that it will be a small project or two and watching 🏈.

@Sharon in AZpraying for Jakob.

@JazzyVi don't envy you. I had one about 18 months ago. Suggestion: start the prep as early as possible tomorrow.

🙏 and 🎉 for those on our lists.

• Like 23

Good morning Daily friends!  Gorgeous Saturday here in NJ!

Rabbits are cute...but I struggle to find the right mix of plants that DON'T make them an all-you-can-eat salad bar!  Not a fan of comic books but I know they are popular collectables.  Hunting and fishing not my style but I respect those who partake responsibly.

Will pass on the drink, but intrigued by the wine.  I'd prefer the alternate selection today - love a good soup and we're headed into soup season

@Sharon in AZ sending special prayers for young Jakob

@grapau27 looks so relaxing and beautiful there by the sea...I could spend hours there.

Will be spending the day at Battery Park in DE at Art on the Green.  Should be a lovely day to be outside, and will get to spend time with my sister and her family as she shows her Moonlight Pottery creations.

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

Good morning everyone and thanks for today’s daily report Rich.  Hooray for rabbits, comic books and hunters and fishermen.  Great quote but you just don’t want to do it.  The meal sounds nice as does the drink.  Going to the barber today for a much needed haircut 💇🏻‍♂️.  Prayers for everyone on our prayer list today and cheers to everyone celebrating a happy event.  Enjoy your Saturday everyone.

• Like 24

1 minute ago, msmayor said:

Good morning Daily friends!  Gorgeous Saturday here in NJ!

Rabbits are cute...but I struggle to find the right mix of plants that DON'T make them an all-you-can-eat salad bar!  Not a fan of comic books but I know they are popular collectables.  Hunting and fishing not my style but I respect those who partake responsibly.

Will pass on the drink, but intrigued by the wine.  I'd prefer the alternate selection today - love a good soup and we're headed into soup season

@Sharon in AZ sending special prayers for young Jakob

@grapau27 looks so relaxing and beautiful there by the sea...I could spend hours there.

Will be spending the day at Battery Park in DE at Art on the Green.  Should be a lovely day to be outside, and will get to spend time with my sister and her family as she shows her Moonlight Pottery creations.

Thank you.

We usually do spend hours looking out to sea.

This beach is 25 minutes drive from home and our local beach is 8 minutes drive from home.

Graham.

• Like 16

Good Morning All,

It’s still dark here. Fall has come!

My Golden Retriever will be happy with the days: he loves to hunt and frequently spends hours chasing lizards in the yard. Often that takes the form of standing and slapping a (big) paw on a branch, and seeing the far tip of the branch move, which excites him all the more, while the lizard that had gotten his attention by running through has long since made it to the other end of the yard.  He also likes chasing rabbits and squirrels.

Today my riding group has an open house ride. I have not been to one of those in months. 

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 26

Good morning everyone. I love today's quote. I forgot to come and write here yesterday because once again CC would have put my post on top of the first one for the day if I used my Ipad and I never did remember to come to the desktop. What is going on with that?

Yesterday I had the furnace man early to check out the furnice and change the filter before we have to turn it on for the winter. Then a virtual medical appointment and then off to the podiatrist to check on my toe. I thought that it would be the last visit but after cleaning it out and putting packing it, he told me I have to come back every week till it heal

Sam continues to do well. He aid that while he hates being there, he really likes the place because everyone has a smile on their face and the therapists are great. I'm looking forward to Thursday when he comes home.

Prayers for everyone on the care list and celebrations for those on the shout out list.

Stay well. Speaking of that, I read this morning that Moderna predicts the covid virus will be with us for 12 to 14 more months.

Carol

• Like 28
  • Thanks 4

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our Saturday smile 🙂 

Interesting collection of days.  Loved comics as a child.  For some reason I though International Rabbit day would be on the first of a month to go with rabbit, rabbit, rabbit 😉 

94262B3D-2722-41C6-B650-D4E6E0009041.webp.4985a033b1c5c55a19150e23c9b20b01.webp

Love the Edison quote.  So true.  The meal suggestion is a good one.  I’ll save it as we just had drumsticks last night.

Looks like we are going to be hit with another deluge of rain today.  Guess I picked the wrong day for a curb side pick up & errands. 🙊 

With 4 deaths, our province has issued a state of emergency here 😔 Our cases do not compare to the other provinces but our Government doesn’t fool around and all they need to see is one bad trend and they clamp down.

It really doesn’t have a big effect on us as we have stuck to our bubble and been careful all along.

Prayers for everyone on the Care list & for those that need them and 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

191C796B-66C2-48E3-8CD9-C043262A18A9.jpeg.4bb197570e03ed908a11accc590c4acb.jpeg

Have a great Saturday everyone!!

4566AEE2-E884-4C35-9ADF-8338E701FCF1.thumb.jpeg.54e26bbaab8874469082e53166367c14.jpeg

Stay safe and please don’t forget your 😷

• Like 35

Good Morning:

In many places we have eliminated their natural predators and caused rabbit populations to get out of control. The meal suggestion is a good one but I will pass on the drink.

Love the Edison quote.

It is a beautiful sunny morning here but they are predicting thunderstorms later this afternoon (typical weather pattern here)

Stay safe everyone.

• Like 22

Morning Dailyites! Thank you Rich for making it all happen!

Thank you for our lists, Roy!

I am aching today. PT is going really well, but they keep upping the game. 😎 My last goal to achieve is being able to stand up from a standard chair (seat height 17” from the floor) without using my arms - gracefully. I did it six times yesterday! But I would describe my “technique” as more of a launch, than a graceful standing up.  And I must have tensed every core muscle to do it, because I ache this morning. Hopefully a nice walk on this glorious day will take care of that. 

Having a couple friends over tonight. And in addition to getting ready for that, I want to get out and play in the garden. 

Prayers to all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

Oberon Sauvignon Blanc - California

This Napa SB has very good - excellent reviews for all released vintages. I used the 2019 vintage, since it might be the easiest to find. And with very reasonable online prices starting at $15.94, it might be one to add to your list. The name sounds familiar, so I may have enjoyed this in my past. 

Winemaker Notes

The Oberon Sauvignon Blanc is distinctive in style because its fruit is sourced from both the Pope Valley and Carneros Appellations of Napa Valley. This combination of multi-terroir fruit and distinctively different microclimates marries bright natural acidity with layered fresh flavors of green apple, tart kiwi, pear, and melon. Bright natural acidity with layered fresh flavors of green apple, tart kiwi, pear, and melon.

WW92 Wilfred Wong of Wine.com: The 2019 Oberon Sauvignon Blanc is bright and lively. TASTING NOTES: This wine shines with aromas and flavors of tart citrus and mineral accents. Pair it with raw oysters. (Tasted: October 19, 2020, San Francisco, CA)

• Like 24
  • Thanks 6

Good morning everyone!  We continue with the nice sunny mornings, cool at about 50F but it warms up nicely during the day.  We walked in the dark to the gym and it wasn't as busy today thank goodness.  

Quite an interesting mix of special days to honor.  I love the quote by Edison.  The drumsticks look good.  Prayers to all on the Care list, especially young Jakob.  We hope his breathing issues improve and he is back to normal soon.  Congrats to all celebrating, especially those heading out to their cruises.  

I remember General San Martin, Peru on our 2015 South America Cruise on Ruby Princess.  I've never seen a more dismal docking spot!  We didn't make plans to go to Pisco since DH was suffering from a total body rash due to his allergy to the more exotic mushrooms.  So instead I paid a small fee for a ship shuttle bus to the village of Paracas.  Some new friends I met on the ship went with me.  

Here's the port of General San Martin, left to right.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLjC0DXbkIDIuBu4dk0Zqtt?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1427216761

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVINqT8LHqNxWMqeCvpar5dn?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1427216763

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIo75_7qhuND0sGqK1PsNZ2?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1427216764

So unless you plan on staying on the ship all day, you have to plan something away from the port because you can't get off and walk around the town like we love to do.  The bus ride takes maybe 20-25 minutes to reach Paracas.  This is the scenery along the way.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLor8xOoC7LsPbZt9Z-02ak?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1427216778

There's a nice visitor center.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJPcAqAxlHrADwP8vkoX5rx?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1427216800

Once outside you see a lot of fishing boats.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJG_PlSueIRgP_CWFkaVovQ?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1427216800

There are plenty of places to eat and drink.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIspldBOl2evizkUw98agp0?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1427216808

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLyFfOvky-tVtet0HBh62e3?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1427216815

Lots of shopping too.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJSKYUsuNLa9f2G_bW3a7Hp?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1427216820

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIeZussoRnHbEJS6apCkOwi?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1427216818

A friendly pelican  Edited to add, in the background you can see the Ruby Princess on the opposite side of the "bay".00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVK-BugoOiM9EgW_y8Y_VnZO?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1427216825

Interesting art displays00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLRtsHqvgn2ZfTV5fd1lqfY?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1427216822

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLseKoxqvzKYO99AhC9PjpF?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1427216832

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKlXRclKc7rY9GwNaZ0Y6sE?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1427216839

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIloZgaQantRrAF_1QLla67?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1427216835

Not just the ship passengers here, the locals enjoyed their free time here too.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKN_w8C7JBbV-KyUs2e4Mgn?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1427216847

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLE__ZEg9dPlh9RZogJZkGQ?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1427216847

Driving back to the ship, along the road is the entrance to the Paracas National Reserve,   which protects the desert and marine ecosystems here.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIsRYjPeYsTC5ZjyR5ZgoVk?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1427216866

This was my day in General San Martin.  I'll be interested in seeing pictures from those who visited Piscto.

Edited by StLouisCruisers
  • Like 34
  • Thanks 3

Good Morning! We have a couple of cute rabbits in the hood of which one may have enjoyed chomping away on our parsley from our herb plantings on deck. Not always easy to find but we enjoy some meals made with rabbit meat. Especially a rabbit cacciatore dish!

We received our Pfizer booster yesterday. Slightly sore arms but no other side affects.

Starting the packing process today!😁

Thanks for the report and have a great day!

• Like 25

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

Thank you for today's daily Rich and care, celebrations and shout outs lists Roy.

It is 12.45pm sunny with a slight sea breeze and we are in our beach tent looking out to sea.

The only comics I read as a youngster was football magazines.

Pauline likes rabbits and as kids we both had pet rabbits.

I have never hunted or fished.

Today's quote is excellent and definitely something we should all try and do.

Nice food and drink choices.

We have not been to today's port so looking forward to seeing photos.

Prayers 🙏 for everyone on the care list.

Take care and stay safe everyone.

Graham.

16325703295485188531794261474876.jpg

1632570414401940475809215196309.jpg

Beautiful photos of a very nice place to be. Thanks for sharing and enjoy !!!

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, DFD1 said:

Beautiful photos of a very nice place to be. Thanks for sharing and enjoy !!!

Thank you DFD1.

The cruise ships leaving Newcastle England sail between the piers in the background.

The terminal is about 1 mile away.

Graham.

Screenshot_20210925_141321_com.android.gallery3d.jpg

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 20

No chicken here tonight; DW just told me we are having Cooks Illustrated recipe Cioppino dish and tomorrow’s going to be a favorite, French Onion Soup made from scratch. Another Cooks Illustrated version. 

These cool mornings has brought out a taste for some cooler weather classics.

• Like 24