Horizon Self Debarkation / Customs timing question?

GeoHack

For anyone who has sailed Carnival Horizon - could you let me know about what time they allow the self-debarkation process (those carrying off their own bags) and time to get off the ship? Specifically for these ports: Aruba, Curaçao, La Romana, Amber Cove. What I'm trying to figure out is if we can make an 11:00AM flight out of Miami. I know just book a later flight but it's twice the price not a matter of just $100 more. I'm looking to see if any of the ports were stopping at are similar to Belize where basically when sailing to Belize and coming back to Galveston you just expect a longer delay than normal. From what I've read we should be fine but not sure if ports are like Belize or if there is first hand knowledge where that itinerary is often slow debarkation? Hope that all makes sense and thanks in advance.

4 minutes ago, GeoHack said:

I'm looking to see if any of the ports were stopping at are similar to Belize where basically when sailing to Belize and coming back to Galveston you just expect a longer delay than normal. From what I've read we should be fine but not sure if ports are like Belize or if there is first hand knowledge where that itinerary is often slow debarkation? Hope that all makes sense and thanks in advance.

Actually this makes no sense to me at all. What delay when a ship out of Galveston goes to Belize and customs? I got off last saturday from vista, and we went to Belize and got off at the designated time more or less .. and we didnt even go thru customs. Just if you wanted to declare alcohol was there a stand. ..

What do you mean because a ship goes to Belize there is a delay going thru customs. First I ever heard of this in over 15 years. Sounds like a made up rumor to me.

https://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/topic/2230755-enhanced-customs-procedures-because-of-belize/

Interesting you've been on way more cruises than me but I know I've been delayed boarding a ship coming back from Belize a few years back and we sailed about 45 minutes after we were supposed to. I've also been on 5 cruises that stopped in Belize. Only 2 of those seemed to have a longer custom process but it was more than 30 minutes. I'm not talking hours delayed but I do believe they have a more stringent custom process for ship returning from stops in Belize. Also I know I've got a letter in my room about delays when visiting Belize.

Edited by GeoHack

11 minutes ago, GeoHack said:

https://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/topic/2230755-enhanced-customs-procedures-because-of-belize/

Interesting you've been on way more cruises than me but I know I've been delayed boarding a ship coming back from Belize a few years back and we sailed about 45 minutes after we were supposed to. I've also been on 5 cruises that stopped in Belize. Only 2 of those seemed to have a longer custom process but it was more than 30 minutes. I'm not talking hours delayed but I do believe they have a more stringent custom process for ship returning from stops in Belize. Also I know I've got a letter in my room about delays when visiting Belize.

Interesting as I've been to Belize a lot.

This cruise they warned us about cozumel which made me wonder. They said do not stray from your group or go to the backside of the island. Do not carry extra cash or flashy jewelry. Made me wonder if something bad had happened we didnt know about.

The had two tables when we got off where they searched every backpack and had dogs there to sniff. I heard they were looking for fruit. People dont seem to get it's illegal to take fruit off into ports and used to grab a apple or whatever. No apples or fruit on the buffet this cruise lol. Wrong cruise to search for fruit on a carnival cruise. All that fruit is gone.

Again interestingly ... we did not go thru customs at all. Not at all. They had us on elevators to deck 0 because boarding arm broke and we walked right off .. no customs at all.

Edited by firefly333

I just got off the Horizon this morning. Same itinerary as you just mentioned. 

They started the debarkation for self-assist a few minutes before 7:30. They call you by muster station, starting with A.

I was in muster station B and we were off the ship by 7:45. Debarkation was super easy - you don’t even have to talk to a customs agent or show your passport, unless you don’t pass the facial recognition. I just stood in front of the camera and then a green light went on and the port staff said I was free to go. 

We were in an Uber on our way to MIA by 8:00 am and at the airport a little before 8:30. I would have tried to switch to an earlier flight but there weren’t any available on my airline. Of course it may not always be this smooth but I wanted to share my experience. 

Edited by redsox1584
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, redsox1584 said:

I just got off the Horizon this morning. Same itinerary as you just mentioned. 

They started the debarkation for self-assist a few minutes before 7:30. They call you by muster station, starting with A.

I was in muster station B and we were off the ship by 7:45. Debarkation was super easy - you don’t even have to talk to a customs agent or show your passport, unless you don’t pass the facial recognition. I just stood in front of the camera and then a green light went on and the port staff said I was free to go. 

We were in an Uber on our way to MIA by 8:00 am and at the airport a little before 8:30. I would have tried to switch to an earlier flight but there weren’t any available on my airline. Of course it may not always be this smooth but I wanted to share my experience. 

Thanks, really appreciate you sharing your experience.