Have you ever been on a cruise while a Hollywood or Bollywood film was being made?

shipgeeks

Watching such films, there are, of course, lots of background people.

Meryl Streep is in a movie recently made on a Cunard crossing.

Two fairly recent Bollywood movies were filmed on ships during actual cruises.  Lots of dancers in the crowd!

We've been extras in a few Hollywood films, but never experienced this on a cruise.  Have you?  Were you in the finished product?  Please share!

I was on a cruise about 40 or so years ago , they we’re making a movie called “don’t miss the boat” which was never released , fun cruise Rip Taylor was sea sick the entire cruise, Jay Johnson a ventriloquist from tv show soap, Joanne Worley from Laugh-In and others .

This would be a disappointment to us personally. We have very close family members that work in the industry and have visited the studios and location sets. It's not as big a deal as you would like to believe.

I was on a cruise when they were filming Chipwrecked, one of the Alvin and the Chipmunk movies. They filmed different times during the week, and in the end, the entire ship was like 5 minutes of the movie. They were signing up passengers to be extras, we got to be in a split second scene, and “Alvin” jumped over my shoulder in the movie. It was a fun experience to be a part of. I didn’t really feel like it affected our cruise. They didn’t close off huge parts of the ship for the filming, and it was easy to avoid. And all we got for being an extra was a drink coupon. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Not on a cruise, but back in 2013 I was an extra in a Tollywood movie (Bollywood is Hindi language, Tollywood is the Telugu-language cinema). I was walking around Visakhapatnam one weekend and stumbled upon a set. They just kind of pulled everyone in and we were in the background. I always google "why is there a random black dude in a Tollywood movie background?" and, sadly, so far no results...

• Like 1

6 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

Zach,  What was the name of the movie?  We have several Teluga movies in our collection.  Maybe we've seen you!

And soozles, Now I have to get a copy of Chipwrecked!

Don’t waste your time on the movie, it wasn’t that good. And the cruise was only the first 5 minutes of the movie. 

On 9/29/2021 at 4:17 PM, donaldsc said:

I would imagine that it would be a real pain to be on a ship where they are shooting a movie.  Maybe even worse than being on a ship with a large group as they might end up completely closing pf areas of the ship to do shooting.

DON

Totally disagree at least on our one experience, we had lots of extra entertainment because of the movie, but I can imagine the opposite can be true.