Early morning in Fort Lauderdale before our cruise

Reisdawg

Our flight is scheduled to land at 6 am the day of our flight (we have to take an overnight flight from the west coast due to my wife being a teacher and cannot take a day off before her spring break).   What would you suggest doing for a few hours while you wait to board if you are landing at the Fort Lauderdale airport?  I can rent a car for fairly cheap through my work which would also save us needing a shuttle to the port.

40 minutes ago, Reisdawg said:

Our flight is scheduled to land at 6 am the day of our flight (we have to take an overnight flight from the west coast due to my wife being a teacher and cannot take a day off before her spring break).   What would you suggest doing for a few hours while you wait to board if you are landing at the Fort Lauderdale airport?  I can rent a car for fairly cheap through my work which would also save us needing a shuttle to the port.

Find a waterside brunch restaurant

• Like 1

Yes.  I looked at flights into Miami that get in a bit later but I will get upgraded if I fly on Alaska.   It looks like renting a car and going to a nice breakfast makes sense.  This way we avoid shuttles and with my employee rates the car will be under $40 with drop off at the port (well a shuttle to the port).

• Like 1

Id recommend the Floridian on Las Olas. It’s a diner, but a very good one. If you like French Toast, they have some of the best (Bimini Bread variety). They also have caviar and champagne on the menu, if that’s your preference.

Afterwards , you can stroll the Avenue for a bit or continue down Las Olas to the beach.

• Like 1

We're in the same boat, flying in from the west coast and arriving at 6 am on an Alaska Air flight. We have rented a car in the past and just putzed around waiting til it was time to board, and usually end up frustrated, bored and exhausted from the overnight flight. This time, we booked a day use hotel room that will be available at 7am in Miami. We will Uber/Lyft from FLL to the day use hotel, relax, shower, change clothes, nap *maybe* and then head to the port when our arrival window opens. We actually have to catch the 6:45 pm flight home when we return, and we've decided to book a day use room on the other end as well. 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, FOPMan said:

Id recommend the Floridian on Las Olas. It’s a diner, but a very good one. If you like French Toast, they have some of the best (Bimini Bread variety). They also have caviar and champagne on the menu, if that’s your preference.

Afterwards , you can stroll the Avenue for a bit or continue down Las Olas to the beach.

We like the Floridian (http://thefloridiandiner.com/contact-us/) but just a warning - it is very funky (most people love it; those that don't really hate it) but we've always found the breakfast food good.  The menu is pages and pages long and portions are large.

A restaurant we plan to try next time we are picking someone up on an early flight is TINTA (https://www.lonarestaurant.com/waterfront-restauarants-fort-lauderdale/tinta-breakfast).  It is on the beach (actually across the street from the beach) and the reviews are fantastic.  After eating you can stroll the beachfront.

Yes, its a long menu. The owner used to also own several other restaurants. Some of their menu items moved to the Floridian as rents increased and the restaurants closed.

I can’t count how many times I’ve eaten there. The only things I wouldn’t recommend are the conch fritters and chowder, not because they don’t taste good, they just don’t have as much conch as they used to.

A Day room sounds good…and relaxing if you could then have a leisurely breakfast in the hotel..without suitcases.

Possibly car hire would give you a little more flexibility, as you wouldn’t have to lug cases with you. Maybe you can get a better car hire deal than us, but we paid $100 for a one day car rental in Fort Lauderdale…quoted  $39 but with numerous taxes and insurance came to $100..but we are Brits and maybe USA citizens get a better deal/ carry their personal car insurance to rentals. (Not available either in UK or for UK citizens)

Good Luck.

7 hours ago, Reina del Mar said:

A Day room sounds good…and relaxing if you could then have a leisurely breakfast in the hotel..without suitcases.

Possibly car hire would give you a little more flexibility, as you wouldn’t have to lug cases with you. Maybe you can get a better car hire deal than us, but we paid $100 for a one day car rental in Fort Lauderdale…quoted  $39 but with numerous taxes and insurance came to $100..but we are Brits and maybe USA citizens get a better deal/ carry their personal car insurance to rentals. (Not available either in UK or for UK citizens)

Good Luck.

My company has negotiated some great rates and perks for car rentals.  I don’t have to pay extra for picking up and dropping off at a different location and the rates are not subject to availability.  Our week in Hawaii was $300 last May with most people paying that per day…

I agree with day room.  Have used them before (mainly for land trips) and will use this service for a December cruise where I plan to take a red eye flight into Florida.  It will be nice to take a shower and get a few comfortable zz's before embarkation.  

On 9/26/2021 at 9:55 PM, CruiserBruce said:

Ah...they are flying into FLL, I think.

Hi Bruce, yes, they are flying into FLL so the AA in Miami would not work.

• 3 months later...
On 9/27/2021 at 12:03 AM, uprivermama said:

We're in the same boat, flying in from the west coast and arriving at 6 am on an Alaska Air flight. We have rented a car in the past and just putzed around waiting til it was time to board, and usually end up frustrated, bored and exhausted from the overnight flight. This time, we booked a day use hotel room that will be available at 7am in Miami. We will Uber/Lyft from FLL to the day use hotel, relax, shower, change clothes, nap *maybe* and then head to the port when our arrival window opens. We actually have to catch the 6:45 pm flight home when we return, and we've decided to book a day use room on the other end as well. 

50 minutes ago, madera1 said:

What hotel did you find a day room for 7 am?

I was not able to find an early morning hotel so I ended up flying in late the night before and staying at a Hilton hotel close to the airport. 

• 2 months later...
On 9/30/2021 at 9:29 PM, rabin1 said:

Read my post I just posted on what to do on Christmas Day. You will love my suggestion Would be the same suggestion for you and is about 10 minutes to the port

Enjoy

You have over 3,000 posts.  Your Christmas Day post is probably two dozen pages back.  And you want me to go looking for it?  You couldn't just say what it says or link it?  Ugh.  Thanks.  I guess.