Private Van Tour - What Should We See/Do?

BlueCattleDog

Hi All! I (41F), my mother-in law (72F) and her best friend (72F) will be in Cozumel in December and have booked a private van tour through Carnival. I would love your advice on what things we should put on our list to see and do during the excursion. Our first trip to Cozumel, we took an excursion to Tulum so didn't have time to see ANYTHING on the island. Appreciate your help! We are SO excited to get back to cruising.

• Like 1

No silence, just noticing your post.

Assuming your MIL and friend are comfortable riding around, the best thing to do is to have your driver take you around to the east side.  Maybe stop at the lighthouse and eco-park.  I'd recommend stopping at either Bob Marley's (last I saw it was called Paradise Cafe, but  you can't miss it). Good seafood.  Or have your driver stop at Coconuts, get a great view of the whole eastern side.  Several places to pull over and see the blow holes.

Travel north to the transversal road heading back into San Miguel, maybe stop at the Tequila Factory.  Learn how Tequila is made--not made in Cozumel, however.  Or as you get back into town the KAOKAO Chocolate Factory is a great stop.  If you've seen Tulum, skip the ruins at San Gervasio.  In town stop at the Plaza, if you feel like shopping (albeit you can find much of the same items at the port.  Your driver may have suggestions.  But it will depend upon what all of you would like to do.

• Thanks 1

Crew gives some great suggestion for a general circular tour of the island.

I am not sure how long your tour is but keep in mind, there is  only one main route round the island (you can obviously go clockwise or anti- clockwise) but there are too many places to stop everywhere on one trip. Therefore before we can make suggestions it would be best for you to narrow down for us your priorities - beaches, swimming, snorkeling, eating, drinking, views, shopping, local neighborhoods, mobility?

I have been round the island many times with a regular private driver, once with my 89 year old mother who thoroughly enjoyed it. Usually we concentrate on two or three stops. The east side has the views but swimming is not recommended due to currents - west coast beach clubs better for that.

• Thanks 1

A drive around the island is great.  The road goes in a circle all the way around and there are lots of places to stop.  Where you stop will depend on your interests and how much time you have because there is easily enough to see to fill a whole day.  

Some ideas:

Punta Sur park.  This might eat up some time but it's worth it if you love lighthouses.  You used to be able to climb to the top of the lighthouse but I'm not sure if it's currently open.  

El Mirador for photo ops of some beautiful rock formations.

Lots of bar to bar hop.  Our favorite is Coconuts.  It's at the highest point of the island with great views and good food.  Or have your driver recommend one or two.

San Gervasio Mayan ruins.  This could eat up an hour or two.  Since you've already seen Tulum, you might not want to use your time there but if you like ruins, it's a pretty nice (and fairly compact) site.

I posted some pictures of our most recent Cozumel driving tour here, if you're interested (scroll about half way down).  http://susancrow.blogspot.com/2015/01/cruising-into-new-year.html 

• Thanks 1