Vancouver - Canadian dollars needed?

Our first trip to Vancouver for a couple days before our cruise to Alaska. We use plastic cards for ease (we live in Florida),  but we're in the habit of trying to blend in and not be obnoxious Americans abroad. As such we've always tried to take/get local currency wherever we've travelled (cruise or non cruise) for more than a day or two. Do locals prefer Canadian or American dollars, we'll just be there 3 days/2 nights.  Thanks in advance

Many/Most businesses in Vancouver have adapted to covid by preferring to (and sometimes only) take non-cash payments (credit cards, debit/ bank cards, app payments, etc) versus taking cash.  (And ideally, you'd have a no-forex fee credit card.)  So, I think your need for cash is going to be limited, though I can't rule it out completely.   (eg. A few small businesses want to limit credit card transaction fees and will only take cash or Canadian debit/bank card.)  Many businesses will be happy to take US greenbacks (so don't worry about perceptions) but will offer a horrible exchange rate.  At worst, I've seen signs at some businesses saying they'll take US dollars at a straight 1:1 exchange rate whereas you should be getting $1.25ish.  But it may still be a more convenient soluton if you're not using a lot of cash.

If you want to exchange greenbacks for loonies I recommend the following places which have a way better exchange rate than the the forex booths at the airport and the banks:

Charlie's Currency Exchange.  It's a small hole in a wall in downtown Vancouver on Granville Street (along the entertainment district).  It's got one of the best exchange rates for US dollars when dealing with hard currency with no additional fees.  It looks sketchy but my friends and I have used them many times over two decades.  

Vancouver Bullion and Currency Exchange.  It's located in the financial district and is a five minute walk away from the Canada Place cruise terminal.  They have almost as good of a posted exchange rate compared to Charlie's also with no additional fees.  I go here because I can make larger transactions using my debit/bank card (not credit card) whereas Charlie's only takes cash.  One trick that may or may not work is that you can get a very slightly better rate by just asking for the preferred customer rate.  (Back in the day, you'd have to print out this ridiculous card off their website to get the preferred rate.  They finally realized how wasteful it was and changed it to just asking for it.  I just ask "Do you still offer a preferred customer rate for asking?")

There are other small currency exchange scattered thoughout the downtown core but I havent used them.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

"Do locals prefer Canadian or American dollars, we'll just be there 3 days/2 nights."

So do the local shop owners in your city prefer American or Canadian dollars?? Rhetorical question - I know the answer to that.

While I agree with Milhouse in that most vendors in Vancouver will take your USD, in reality the only legal tender in Canada is the Canadian dollar.  I can't think of anywhere you can't use your debit or credit card unless its slipping a tip to someone.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/30/2021 at 9:54 AM, cruiseryyc said:

"Do locals prefer Canadian or American dollars, we'll just be there 3 days/2 nights."

I can't think of anywhere you can't use your debit or credit card unless its slipping a tip to someone.

There are some small food vendors or other small stores that are cash only, but they are very few and far between. Tipping can also mostly be done by the card machine. Living in Vancouver I can have a twenty in my wallet for literally months at a time without ever having to actually use it. It is usually a surprise when I find it.

The others have been on the mark with US currency, it can be used quite often but not advised compared to a card.

• 2 months later...
On 9/28/2021 at 6:38 PM, Tracey/Thom said:

Our first trip to Vancouver for a couple days before our cruise to Alaska. We use plastic cards for ease (we live in Florida),  but we're in the habit of trying to blend in and not be obnoxious Americans abroad. As such we've always tried to take/get local currency wherever we've travelled (cruise or non cruise) for more than a day or two. Do locals prefer Canadian or American dollars, we'll just be there 3 days/2 nights.  Thanks in advance

I would stick to credit cards.  Nearly all places accept Visa or Mastercard.  Higher end and larger chains will accept American Express.  No one is Canada has a Discover card, but some retailers are on plans that do accept it.  Canada uses tap or chip+pin these days.  

If you want to do cash I would just take it out of your bank account using an ATM.  The major Canada banks are RBC, CIBC, TD, ScotiaBank, BMO as well as HSBC and VanCity using Exchange branded ATMs.  I would use one of those and skip the no-name machines that may have some extra fees.         

Edited by em-sk
  • Like 1