Kids with food allergies

Babyruthc

One of our neighbor's kids has such a severe gluten allergy that their body cannot process gluten at all and they've had to have surgery to relieve the pressure.  They try to take all their trips with Disney cruises because they are so confident in their ability to help their child.  If no one with personal experience chimes in (the board is pretty dead now due to covid) you might also want to post on the different cruise lines to see if anyone can answer.  Best of luck to you.

• Thanks 1

All cruise lines can deal with food allergies with regard to the foods served.  Although I have no direct knowledge about staff being trained to use EpiPens,  I would guess that they would not be trained and would not be allowed to administer them.  There would be too many legal issues involved if a staff member used the pen and the person died.

DON

Why would staff need to be trained? You’re the parent, if your kids are too young to do it themselves, you’re responsible… when you go to a restaurant do you ask if the waiters can administer an epipen? My son has several food allergies so I get it, but I don’t expect staff to be giving him epi

On 10/4/2021 at 11:33 PM, soozles said:

Why would staff need to be trained? You’re the parent, if your kids are too young to do it themselves, you’re responsible… when you go to a restaurant do you ask if the waiters can administer an epipen? My son has several food allergies so I get it, but I don’t expect staff to be giving him epi

I inferred from the OP question that they hoped to use the kids club facilities.  Parents would not be present.  

15 minutes ago, MMsteffey said:

I inferred from the OP question that they hoped to use the kids club facilities.  Parents would not be present.  

I still wouldn't expect the kids club staff to administer Epi Pens. Insurance liability.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MMsteffey said:

Oh maybe, I didn’t understand the question, I sort of thought she was just wanting someone to give her kid epi if needed… I’m not sure about whether the staff is trained or able to give epi, but I think most places are pretty strict on no food in the clubs. Not sure if they’re still doing meals with kids, but you could always just skip it 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

We sail NCL as they were the only cruise line willing to work with us regarding my daughter's unusual allergies (Latex).  She went to kids club, the staff can not administer the epipen but would keep her api-pen kit at the front desk so that any of the 4 adults sailing with her could administer it if called or their medical staff would be called.  Kids club was a food free zone and although they did take the kids to meals (for a fee) we did not feel that was a safe option and always took her for meals ourselves.